PDA

View Full Version : WWYD?

SueCoo2
Jun. 10, 2011, 11:55 AM
I am planning on entering my mare and myself in a local area schooling horse trial. The event is held at a lovely facility where I have done hours and hours of volunteer time (over the years) which can be utilized for schooling and/or entering shows (I've never used any of my credits). :D However, my quandary is that the owner/organizer of the show recently lost her husband in a farm accident (a much loved and respected man who built the place from scratch, built every jump and was just a totally awesome human being) and now she is raising her daughter alone, and trying to continue his legacy by keeping the place going and I feel like it might be inconsiderate of me to enter the show using the credits when she probably could use the cash. Should I 1. ask what she'd prefer; or 2. just enter the show using the credits; or 3. pay the entry fees in cash and waiit to use the credits at another time? WWYD? :confused: I'm not trying to be cheap or anything, its just that I've had some big expenses lately that have affected my budget (vet bills, truck repair, trailer repair, etc.) and I'm trying to be judicious while allowing myself some fun and my mare some experience. Thanks in advance as I appreciate any advise.

ake987
Jun. 10, 2011, 12:06 PM
I can't tell you what you should do - but I can tell you what I would do. I would pay the fees and not use my "credits". If you can't really afford the event without using your credits, that is another story and I think I would wait until the next event that I could afford comfortably. (Not saying you can or can't, should or shouldn't, that's just MEEEEEEEE!)

After the fire in PA, I grabbed everything I could do without and put it in my trainer's tack room, asking her to send it down. I know big companies are donating lots of money, and my stuff is piddle compared to the support they will receive, but it is something, and it made me feel good, and I believe in karma, and strength in numbers. :) This included a brand new halter that had been on my horse once, Eskadron boots, things I didn't NEED, but that I also can't afford to replace right now. I'm a college student, I don't have a lot, but I have a lot more than most people.

If you are anything like me (which it kind of sounds like you are.. since you are already thinking about just paying, anyway) the ability to give when you see others in need, or just hurting, is invaluable and more rewarding than getting a free HT. Just my .02!

Another thought - if you decide to use your credits, maybe you could write her a small check as a "donation"/gesture if you think she is in need, because running your mare will use her facilities, tread her ground, poop on it, etc etc. Maybe that could work?

AND ANOTHER THOUGHT! - Even though you will be a competitor, you could still maybe volunteer for set-up or tear-down/clean-up? :)

equinelerium
Jun. 10, 2011, 12:24 PM
I agree with ake987-if you can afford to pay for the entry, I'd do it, or pay some of the cost, and use some credits or something. But if your choice is either use the credits or not go at all, I'd use the credits. Since the wife is looking to keep the facility operating as a legacy to her husband, she'd probably love to see as many entries in the show as possible.

mvp
Jun. 10, 2011, 12:37 PM
Pay her the entries in cash now and figure out what to do about your credits later. Remember that even though your budget is tight and you have had some big expenses of you own, these don't compare to what this family is confronting. They are probably worried about more than making a horse show affordable, you know?

Again, it sounds like you won't "lose" the value of your credits. You'll just pick a time to use them-- when your land-owner/show manager can better afford it. Yeah, there is a debt owed to you one which you can collect any time. But why add that hardship, especially if this family provided you with a great facility and would like to keep it open? That has to be worth something, so cut them as much slack as you can afford to.

SueCoo2
Jun. 10, 2011, 12:55 PM
Thank you for your replies. I was indeed leaning toward just paying my entry in cash, as my credits are good for anything at anytime and its far more important to me to show her my support. :D

ake987
Jun. 10, 2011, 01:43 PM
I think you knew what you were going to do all along! Kudos. :D

Toadie's mom
Jun. 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
I know this wasn't one of your choices, but I would ask her if she'd rather have your entry fee, or your help again as a volunteer. I think I know who you're talking about, so I'd want to make sure there's plenty of help to keep the facility up and running for events. If you have your heart set on showing though, I totally understand.

SueCoo2
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:11 PM
Oh I always volunteer regardless! :yes: I had already notified her of my availability as I usually scribe and/or jump judge! :D

Entry and check have been sent!

shea'smom
Jun. 11, 2011, 12:28 AM
I hope you have a great time. I think it is very nice of you to save your credits for a more appropriate time. Such a sad situation.

KateWooten
Jun. 11, 2011, 11:31 AM
You are a lovely person :)

AEM74
Jun. 12, 2011, 08:28 AM
Thank you for your replies. I was indeed leaning toward just paying my entry in cash, as my credits are good for anything at anytime and its far more important to me to show her my support. :D

Good call! I was going to suggest what the others have...pay now and save the credits for later. Good karma and all. I hope you and your mare have a great outing!

enjoytheride
Jun. 12, 2011, 09:54 AM
I would use the credits and give her your entry fee as a "grounds improvement" check.