PDA

View Full Version : Videos of talented 3y/o's under saddle

luvmydutch
Jun. 10, 2011, 10:32 AM
I am curious to see videos of other people riding talented 3 year old dressage horses under saddle if anyone has one. I have a super talented kwpn 3 y/o mare, and i would love to see what other people are doing with their talented babies.

KrazyTBMare
Jun. 10, 2011, 01:20 PM
I dont know HOW talented you want but I think Rex is pretty nice. Not FEI or anything like that but hes something nice to look at. Hope he qualifies.. he just turned 4 this past Monday. Though hes just over 3.5 in the videos. Nothing current as he cut his leg and is out of comission for 3 weeks. :( Will post when I can.

http://www.facebook.com/v/1910600451916

This is one of the last rides in my old saddle which was no longer really fitting. It was adjusted to get us by but was restricting his shoulders a bit.

http://www.facebook.com/v/1846381326478

This was like 1.5 months before the first video.. literally the 2nd to last ride BEFORE I got that saddle adjusted.

luvmydutch
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:25 PM
Ahh i remember this guy from other posts on here...krazytbmare he is absolutely stunning i love him!! He looks like he is like my mare...very naturally good at dressage and carrying himself properly doesn't seem to be difficult for him in the least.

What have you been doing with him? How long/frequent do you ride? what have you been working on?

Total bummer about his leg...it must be torture not being able to ride that handsome animal!!

Edgewood
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
Here's my mare last year, as a just turned 3 year old and then a few months later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwo6AqmBVKw

http://vimeo.com/19075217

At her Mare Performance Test for the American Hanoverian Society, she was the highest placing 3 year old and placed 4th (out of 15 mares, 8 of which were 3 year olds; four 4 year olds and three 5 year olds) and passed with very good scores.

osgoka01
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:42 PM
Crossover comment coming from hunterland....love the chestnut! He could come be my new baby green hunter anytime.
:)

luvmydutch
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
Edgewood omg drool drool she's stunning! Very athletic mare huh? Are you breeding her is that why you did the MPT with her?

So ok i think part of the reason i was asking for videos was to see if others were riding their horses on contact/on the bit. My mare is so athletic and naturally supple and finds working on the bit and long and low VERY easy and actually seems to be proud of herself when she's working correctly.

Glad to see others working their talented 3 year olds in a similar fashion.

I have had fully mature horses of other breeds that have taken me literally a year or more to get steady in the contact and working happily and relaxed on the aids.
My filly was back from the cowboy trainer for 2 weeks and was working happily, comfortably and consistently on light contact and we haven't looked back. She is already starting to learn leg yielding (out on a circle).

I do still do tons of fun stuff with her and try to keep our ring work short...well if you want to call it ring work i ride her in a huuge open field with just some cones to mark where i want to do schooling figures...and when she's done a good job her reward is to go for a good gallop out in the field. We also go out in the trails alot with my mom. I try to keep it varied with her and expose her to lots of stuff...she's really good about being focused and working even out in a big open field. She's a workaholic and LOVES dressage.

HCF
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
Crossover comment coming from hunterland....love the chestnut! He could come be my new baby green hunter anytime.
:)

I was thinking the same thing! He has beautiful hunter movement.

Edgewood, I have a just turned 7 year old gelding by Pablito who is a big bay version of your filly. Their movement is very similar! She is beautiful. :yes:

luvmydutch
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
Edgewood your filly is a dead ringer for my filly. I will get a video this weekend..they are the same color with the same face marking, except that my filly only has one hind sock (and she's KWPN). I'll have to get a video this weekend and post ...it's uncanny!

Here's a photo of her in the field with her spring body clip...her chestnut hasn't filled in yet

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/earth2283/mothersday2011288.jpg

And here she is 60 days under saddle. At this point she had only been home from being started by the cowboy trainer for 10 days. Needs to be a little more forward but she's relaxed, focused and steady. Love this horse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOnIhZb4FI

KrazyTBMare
Jun. 10, 2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks everyone. But yall keep that hunter talk to yourself! He thinks he wants to be a hunter, with those natural flying changes and all, but hes a dressage horse dammit! LOL

luv, I ride him like maybe once a week. I started him in the beginning of Nov '10 and he has been u/s for 30 weeks with a total of 20 rides. So there were times that I went like 2 weeks without working him. Hes a big guy so I really didnt want to start like WORKING him until he was 4. We started asking for bend about 2-3 months out from his 4 y/o bday.

All rides are focused on forward. When we have the forward, recently we have been working on bend. We want him to stay forward while accepting contact with the bit and to start to bend his body. If at any time he loses the forward, we immediately address that, even if it means losing the bend. Hes not a FORWARD thinking horse so this is the main point of every ride.

When I ride him at home, it is for anywhere from 20-35 mins, depending on how he is being and how hot it is. When we take lessons, which was going on every 2-4 weeks, they are an hour long but with lots of breaks and my trainer gets on him first, as you saw in the videos.

In the last few rides, we did ask him to carry himself more, come together for a few steps here and there, but not much.

Love everyone elses horses too!