PDA

View Full Version : Honest Opinion -- Has laser treatment done anything for your show horse?

Xbittersweet
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:15 PM
Has anyone used Back on Track, footpads, magnetic blanketsm and the whole laser treatment thing? Results? Do you use it all the time? Once in a while?

Just curious and want to hear opinions on it.

crosscreeksh
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:42 PM
We've owned our own cold light lazer for years and used it on many equine problems - most with success. I also used it extensively on my own broken leg after the cast was removed and saw great pain relief and enhanced healing.

Twiliath
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:47 PM
I've used laser on my horses for years and see results every time. I worked for a rehab vet for over four years and the laser was quite helpful.

PNWjumper
Jun. 10, 2011, 12:56 AM
I use the Back on Track products with my horses. I have one that the sheet made a huge difference with. She was a different horse (had better stamina at shows, which made a big difference when we were doing the 1.40m jumpers) when I used the sheet on her versus when I didn't. I use it on my gelding as well, though I don't notice as big of a difference with him.

My vet recently started using laser therapy, and has used it on several of my horses. She used it on some lacerations on one horse and they healed much more quickly and less problematically than I would have expected. She also used it on a horse that effectively had road founder, and the horse showed immediate relief as she used it on his feet. And then she's used it in conjunction with her chiropractic/acupuncture on a couple of my horses. I can't tell if it's done aything beyond what the chiro/acu would have in the first place.

Xbittersweet
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks :) since it seems to work what brand/laser works best? I've seen a ton of different types online & I'm curious which one seems to work best

KBEquine
Jun. 10, 2011, 11:37 AM
I have an old Respond 2500 system. Some injuries it seems to help heal faster, other (chronic) issues, it seems to provide some pain relief, but no healing.

A friend once had a jumper with an ankle issue. The vet was going to be out in a few days, but the friend asked me to laser that ankle & see what I thought, as sort of an experiment with the effect of lasering.

I found a place high on the outside of the ankle & another place low on the inside of the ankle where the horse reacted by relaxing, moving closer to allow me better access, etc. And I knew that it was merely pain relief, not otherwise "fixing what was broken".

Which the vet confirmed, as there were bone chips exactly where I had observed the horse reacting positively to the laser.

I also use the laser in conjunction with massage for muscle issues, mostly if the horse is too sore for the strong push, and sometimes as an alternative to save my poor fingers when I needed to really focus on a tight, tight muscle knot or an acu-pressure point.

Works great.