PDA

View Full Version : Eskadron Open Fronts Help

Dusty
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:46 PM
I've been using my Eskadron Gel Tek's for years with no problems on my jumper. Today I noticed tiny tufts of hair rubbed out on the front legs where the middle velcro strap would lie. There is about a 1" hairless line on both legs now. No scabbing, nothing.

Any suggestions on what to do? I don't want to keep using the boots on this hairless area and make it worse. Can I put something around the straps? If not, any suggestions other boots?

Rel6
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:49 PM
Did she hit a jump hard recently? If she had a bad rub it might have caused it and it could be a one time thing. I'd say ride her without any boots for a week, try the eskadrons again and see what happens. I had a horse with very sensitive front legs and the eskadrons were actually the only thing that didn't give her rubs.

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:53 PM
I would guess it is skin fungus- it sounds much like some of my horse's legs. Underneath the boots can get warm and moist which is great for fungus and bacteria. Try scrubbing with an anti bacterial shampoo or treating with an anti fungal.

Dusty
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:44 PM
I'll give her a good micro tek scrub, disinfect the boots and keep her out of them for a week and see what happens.

I love the Eskradrons and she is a sensitive legged mare, so hopefully this will resolve without a $$ replacement boot purchase!

Burgie
Jun. 10, 2011, 04:14 PM
Ugh.I had to stop using Eskadrons for the same reason. I thought it was a fungus thing, treated it as such, and hair finally grew back in - white. Wasn't fungus - just something about the fit of them. She has a thin stripe down the inside of each cannon.

We're back in fleece lined leather boots now.

Good luck!

gc03
Jun. 14, 2011, 12:56 AM
Same thing happened to me! My old horse had been wearing eskadrons for years, and suddenly they began to cause her hair loss and really gross scabs. I too would suggest something lined with fleece. Also, do they necessarily have to be open front? You could look into other options that way too.