PDA

View Full Version : Will Mtn Horse High Rider Dress Boots stretch?

KarenC
Jun. 9, 2011, 04:31 PM
Just ordered a pair of the mountain horse high rider dress boots and they arrived today. Planning to use them just for local schooling shows. I'm a hard fit - short, wide calves (but not wide enough for the fuller fillies).

I tried them on, and I was able to get them zipped, but it took some work. The elastic panel seems fully stretched. I'm not sure I'm comfortable keeping these unless I'm pretty confident they will stretch a bit and soften.

Any experiences with these boots? Should I go ahead and start breaking them in or send them back? If they don't work, I'm probably going to have to go the half chap route.

GreyStreet
Jun. 9, 2011, 04:34 PM
I also ordered a pair and found the elastic to be stretched initially - I was also concerned the first time I tried them on. I wanted them to be snug but had such a bad experience with my Ariat zippers that I didn't want to risk it. However, I tried them on a couple more times and rode in them, and they have stretched a bit. Have had no problems getting them on since. They have broken in nicely at the ankle but have not dropped anymore (bought talls so didn't want them to!) and have not stretched out too much in the calf (which is also good - they stretched just enough to go on pretty easily now but not enough to gap). If they are comfortable and not cutting off your circulation, try riding in them - just a couple of rides was all it took for me.

myhorsefaith
Jun. 9, 2011, 04:35 PM
So I bought these - and the first pair i needed to return because the elastic was not sewn in right and seemed to be creating these weird pulls.

The second pair were much better.

They do seem to stretch and form to the leg.

HOWEVER - i cannot wait until my pair dies because there is no snap at the top- thus you may find the zipper goes down as you ride for awhile. I always have to rezip a couple times. Annoying.

I've thought about bringing it to a shoemaker or someone to see if they can install a snap or something, but I just havent done it. Instead i wear my half chaps much more often than my boots! LOL

KrazyTBMare
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:35 PM
I had the sportive high riders and wore them all the time. I had them for over 5 years with heavy use and the zipper in one just now got stuck off track. They do stretch and I haven't found that to compromise the boots.. at least the ones I had. Btw I had to order a 10 wide though im a 9-9.5 due to my calf being 17.5". So yes I had them fully stretched.

Beentheredonethat
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:38 PM
I'm like KrazyTB. I got a pair of these and they were really tight. The zipper wold never stay up and I had to use electrical tape to keep them up. Then the zipper tab broke, and they were almost impossible to get up. (I only showed in the them, so I barely used them.)

I actually got some Ovation front zip and have been riding in them. I really like them and the look of them. I finally got the Mountain Horse zipper replaced, which is the only way to fix it, and am using them as barn boots now. While they are comfortable to walk in, the zipper STILL falls down.

So, if you're going to keep them, get electrical tape. I wold send them back and get the front zip.

KarenC
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks so much for the input. I think I will keep them since all I need is a bit more of stretch. Unfortunately, I can't use most other off-the-rack brands since I need a short height (and I have a wider calf); most any other brand is too tall for me. (The fuller fillies are a slight possibility, but I think those might actually be too wide based on the input I've gotten on them).

Given my budget, I think this are probably my best bet right now.

PiaffePlease
Jun. 10, 2011, 12:27 AM
I have larger calves and when I got these, they were tough to zip. I had to stand up, loop something through the tie on the zipper, and pull it up. Now I can zip them fine sitting down. They will give a little. Im pretty happy with mine. I too wish there was a snap at the top, but they are great for the price.

GreyStreet
Jun. 10, 2011, 08:01 AM
Yep, I will add, mine have come unzipped a bit but not always - thought I would be very worried about this the first time I showed in them, but strangely I was more focused on my test ;). Haven't had a big problem with them coming noticeably unzipped while riding an actual test (knock on wood), though have had them come unzipped a bit when schooling. It's not something I notice until I'm done riding and actually look, however, so it's not like your boot's just going to fall right off.

rothmpp
Jun. 10, 2011, 08:18 AM
I have a pair of these boots sitting in my closet. The zippers stayed up for about a month. Even had them replaced and the same problem. It's more about the elastic and how it flexes and pops the zipper up so that it does not stay locked, I think. I even had my shoe guy try to come up with a way to add a keeper (and he's a real miracle worker with boots) and there really was nothing he could do that would be effective due to the width of the elastic at the top.

I would never recommend them based solely on my experience (and what I've read about other's experiences) Other Mountain Horse boots, sure. I've worn the winter ones for years. Just not the high riders.

I wore the Ovations last season and got all the way to the end before the zipper gave out over the ankle where there were some wrinkles in the boot from breakdown. I'd give the ovations a try if you can find them locally, as they fit a bit bigger than the measurement chart. Not as much as the Mountain Horse, but still bigger.

KarenC
Jun. 10, 2011, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately, the Ovations (and many, many other off-the-shelf brands) are simply too tall for me. My issue isn't just width, it's height.

PiaffePlease
Jun. 10, 2011, 05:22 PM
Ive heard terrible things about the Ovations. The tack shop owner did not recommend them at all. So, I bought the high riders. When the zippers do come down on mine, its like 1/2 an inch. Im not sure if its more with other riders, but it doesnt bother me.

ETA: Ive had mine for 6 months and used them 3 times a week plus shows.

Hunter DQ
Jun. 10, 2011, 07:13 PM
I have a pair of the Mt Horse high rider dressage boots and have ridden in them frequently for 2 1/2 years now. I was using them for daily riding up until a year ago, but the gusset was getting very stretched out. The zip up much easier now, but they're not quite as snug and fitted as they used to be. These have been really comfortable boots, and have held up well for the price, but next go around I'll probably by ariat.

KarenC
Jun. 11, 2011, 03:53 PM
So, a quick update - yesterday I wore them around the house for about 3 hours with my winter (thick polar fleece) breeches. Today I rode them riding in my thinnest breeches. They are already starting to break in a bit, as I was now able to get the zipper up with just a bit of protest right at the widest point of the calf. I'm sure they will give a little more and then they should be perfect.

I really like these boots. For someone who has been riding in half chaps for YEARS, I was surprised at how comfortable I found them. Definitely a different feel from the half chaps, but not the uncomfortable pain I remember from breaking in my field boots a million years ago.

Carol O
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=.

I really like these boots. For someone who has been riding in half chaps for YEARS, I was surprised at how comfortable I found them. Definitely a different feel from the half chaps, but not the uncomfortable pain I remember from breaking in my field boots a million years ago.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the MH boots are quite comfortable. The first time I put one on, I did not want to take it off! They are a far cry from the boots I used to buy which nearly made one cry from pain until they were broken in.

My first pair wore out in the zipper before 1 year of use. They upgraded the zipper since then. One pair was given to me as a gift. It had a "W" next to the size, which I thought meant "wide", but really meant "womens". There are wide calf varities of most of their boots. You might check; you may need a "wide". The gals answering the phone at Dover are very helpful with boot sizing.

myhorsefaith
Jun. 13, 2011, 01:03 PM
I do, too, think they are comfortable. So are their winter boots- LOVE those! I just struggle with the stupid zipper staying up on the classics. this electrical tape is a great idea.

I'm actually considering buying the Firenze's when my current boots die. They do have the snap up at the top, I believe.