PDA

View Full Version : Are all soft shell jackets washable??

GreystoneKC
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:28 PM
So I was under the impression that one of the great things about the new soft shell jackets was that they are machine washable and you just hang them up to dry... I was took out my GP jacket that I got last winter to try on for size (I finally found the down side to losing weight... :( ) and I was reading the tag inside and it says "dry clean only using petroleum solvents". So am i putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable or what? Is that supposed to be saying that if you DO dry clean it, only use petroleum solvents or is it saying that you must dry clean it AND only use petroleum solvents?

I could have sworn I could just chuck this sucker in the washing machine... anyone else have a GP soft shell and know the deal?

Melissa.Van Doren
Jun. 9, 2011, 07:12 PM
Not all softshells are washable. Follow the directions on your coat.

GreystoneKC
Jun. 9, 2011, 07:22 PM
I'm going to be really pissed if mine isn't since I was told that it was... :(

LEL
Jun. 9, 2011, 07:32 PM
I machine wash a lot of my dry-clean only clothing; even my suits. It helps that my washing machine has a "hand wash" setting. My clothing has held up tremendously well to this abuse. Most of the stuff I wear I have owned since middle school, and I'm a working adult now. You just can't wash anything in warm or hot water. Cold wash and laying flat to dry has never destroyed anything of mine. I wash my soft-shell this way. Please don't blame me if you try it and it destroys your coat, this is just my two cents :)

klmck63
Jun. 9, 2011, 07:46 PM
Grand Prix has a washable and a dry clean only soft shell coat. My GPA coat (the model with the suede collar) is machine washable in cold water.

GreystoneKC
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Mine is the black with the raspberry suede collar. I was under the impression that I could do the cold water, "hand wash" (I have that setting) and hang dry. I wasn't going to just chuck it in with my whites, lol, but I did think it didn't need to be dry cleaned. I won't hold anyone to it, but I think I will give it a shot and see what happens... I was pretty certain it was able to be washed...

PNWjumper
Jun. 10, 2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Mine is the black with the raspberry suede collar. I was under the impression that I could do the cold water, "hand wash" (I have that setting) and hang dry. I wasn't going to just chuck it in with my whites, lol, but I did think it didn't need to be dry cleaned. I won't hold anyone to it, but I think I will give it a shot and see what happens... I was pretty certain it was able to be washed...

Same thing happened to me when I picked up mine, which also says "dry clean only" on the tag (much to my surprise!).

I rode in a horseshow during a waterfall once (okay, the weathermen probably called it a "rain storm") and completely soaked the coat through and through. I then stashed it in my trunk and forgot about it until I got home the next day. The coat came out a wrinkled (but dry by that point) mess. I hung it up in my closet and it looked fine a day or two later. So I would say that washing it on a cold setting is probably fine since I might as well have done that during that show (minus the detergent).

Anyhow, long story short, I'll be doing the same with mine (putting it in the wash, that is). So if our pretty coats get ruined you'll have someone to commiserate with :)

sopha
Jun. 10, 2011, 05:44 PM
I wash most of my "dry clean only" stuff and it works out just fine. I does make my husband nuts when I wash the expensive sweaters, tho, lol.

winstonian
Jun. 10, 2011, 06:36 PM
I have a grand prix soft shell coat that says "dry clean only". Unfortunately, I didn't read this before I put it through the washing machine after taking a spill into the mud. I washed the coat in cold water using a gentle cycle, and it didn't come out the same. The mesh lining was somewhat damaged, but that part wasn't a huge deal. More noticeably, the back of the coat doesn't lay flat like it did before. I still wear it, but I'm kicking myself for having sent it through the washing machine.

SanJacMonument
Jun. 11, 2011, 01:11 AM
If it says Dry Clean Only, some part - thread, pocket liner, zipper - has to be dry cleaned. It's not worth taking a chance, have it dry cleaned.