PDA

View Full Version : Baby Shower or the Belmont?

Larksmom
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:38 PM
Now, in the first place, I am childless by choice, and several of my friends are as well, so I have mostly been spared baby showers in my life. However, my nephew has gotten his girlfriend preggers. I am NOT fond of him. He has been living in my mom's unfinished basement for free for the past year. Said girlfriend buys him anything he needs. I actually like her, and have no problem sending a present. But I was just informed tonight the shower will be Saturday, one of the best racing days of the year.:mad: My mother who hates all sort of celebrations, birthdays, weddings, funerals, INSISTS I go. I see no point in this.
OK COTHers, what should I do?
Shall I stay home and watch good racing, or go to stupid Baby Shower?

arbeegirl
Jun. 9, 2011, 07:26 AM
Send a gift and go to the race. The only baby shower I have gone too has been my sister's. Other family members/friends I just send gift especially if I have a horse thing the same day.

But that is just me:-)

Louise
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:04 AM
If I'm understanding correctly, you're staying home and watching the race on TV. If that is the case, then got to the shower and watch replays of the race. Do it for your Mom, if not for anything else.

The race, or even an afternoon of racing is just that one time out of your life. Your family is going to be with you for a lot longer than that. I don't know how well you get along with your Mom, but if it's a good relationship, why spoil it for something as (oh, I'm going to get creamed for saying this) relatively unimportant as a horse race that will be over in two minutes and forgotten in a matter of days?

Bacchus
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:56 AM
Go to the baby shower and leave early to watch the race. How many baby showers last past 6:30, anyway? ;)

If it's an evening baby shower (do they have those?), watch the race and show up late for the shower!

If all else fails, go to another room in the house and watch the race.

Baby showers -- ugh.

lcw579
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:02 AM
Agree with Bacchus.

There is a way you can do both. I have kids and believe me there were many b-day parties mine were invited to as tots that conflicted with a triple crown race but I never missed one.

Lord Helpus
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:16 AM
I can see the *reasonable* approach (i.e. the mature one). But I am big at passive/aggressive. I would probably accept the invite to the baby shower and then, at the last minute call and have an excuse why I couldn't come (car died, friend hysterical and needs you, etc).

However, if it is possible to make a quick appearance, then that is the best of both worlds. But I would warn people ahead of time that you have 2 overlapping obligations, so you can only stop in a the shower for a short time.

danceronice
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:30 AM
You don't like the blood relative, from the sound of your post you don't approve of their lifestyle, and you don't like baby showers? Skip it. Your mother is a grown woman. Tell her you'll send a gift and regrets (and ultimately showers are just gift grabs anyway.) Life is to short to waste on people who are only relevant because you happen to share some genetics.

(Bearing in mind, I'm the youngest of thirty-seven first cousins, not counting my younger brother, I barely know any of my family beyond my youngest uncle's kids, all of whom are older than me, and not showing up to events for people you never see is totally expected in our family. It's not that I don't like most of them, it's that I barely know them and no one does 'big family get-togethers' when just having 'all the aunts and uncles and cousins' would put you in the neighborhood of 75 people at least. So I have no problem blowing off relatively unimportant events likes showers when I have something more interesting to do.)

Larksmom
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:25 AM
my crazy mother, whom I do love btw, has gotten the date wrong! It is the 10th of JULY! I will be able to watch all the races in peace, and dutifully go to baby shower next month.
Thanks to all who responded.

Toadie's mom
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:30 PM
my crazy mother, whom I do love btw, has gotten the date wrong! It is the 10th of JULY! I will be able to watch all the races in peace, and dutifully go to baby shower next month.
Thanks to all who responded.
Oh good, this saves me from a possibly unpopular response
:winkgrin: