PDA

View Full Version : Rayh gag ropes! How to put on!

xcatheart
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:21 PM
Help!!! I'm sure it's easy but I can't figure out how to loop the rope over the ring! I've threaded the rope thru the gag bit, the lite leather round piece is in place, but I can't figure out how to make the ring stay on! The only way I did it didn't seem secure enough, like The slightest movement would make the rope and ring fall apart! Anyone have a suggestion? Or YouTube video? Lol

xcatheart
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:47 PM
Oops! Rath!!! Darn smart phone!

retreadeventer
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:34 PM
I think you have to put the ring on the loop (thread the cord thru first) before you thread it through the gag bit and buckle to the crownpiece.

Have you searched Bit of Britain for some help there?

McVillesMom
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:40 PM
I haven't used them, but I've seen them, so I'll give it a shot.

Thread rope through gag bit.
Pass loop of rope through ring.
Open rope loop up and slide it around the bottom and sides of the ring (so it loops around the rope where it entered the ring).
Pull tight.

I'm bad at describing stuff like this - a technical writer I am not - but I hope that helps!

KateKat
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:59 PM
What mcvillesmom said. It's kinda like flipping the ring around. Once you get it, it will totally be a "duh" moment. Funny thing...when I first got my leather gag cheeks I had no idea how I was going to get that buckle through the bit holes. Until my trainer said "genius, there are screws to take that piece off". DUUUUUUUHHHHHH

tulkas
Jun. 9, 2011, 12:11 AM
Why on earth do you feel you are qualified to ride a horse in a gag if you don't have anyone on the ground with you who can tell you how goes together? I hope that you have a clue how to use it once you get on the horse's back.
tulkas

xcatheart
Jun. 9, 2011, 06:12 AM
Thanks, McVillesMom....that is what I ended up doing, and yes, it was a total DUH moment! LOL!

Tulkas, Thanks so much for your concern for my horses, well, really only one horse since the other one goes in a snaffle xc..but I am more than qualified to ride with a gag, thank you. I don't really feel like tooting my own horn, but I know the direction these posts can take, so I guess I'll add some info... Dressage to Prix St George (way back in the day), Eventing to Prelim, A/O Jumpers...I've always had the leather gag cheek pieces, or the Polo gag which comes ready made (bit attached and all) and in fact, that's what anybody in the barn has always had, and I brought my bridle home to clean and put together while I watched the Stanley Cup Playoffs, so that's why I didn't have anyone to show me how to do it...

Anyways..... Happy riding all!

FrittSkritt
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:39 AM
Try thinking of how you put a paper luggage tag on your suitcase at the airport... not sure if that helps. :D

And Tulkas, lighten up.

Ibex
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:08 AM
Why on earth do you feel you are qualified to ride a horse in a gag if you don't have anyone on the ground with you who can tell you how goes together? I hope that you have a clue how to use it once you get on the horse's back.
tulkas

Who peed on your wheaties??? It was an honest question...