PDA

View Full Version : Trail Ride / Hunter Pace Question

PletchersMom
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:10 PM
I hope this isnt a silly question, but...my current horse, who is 15 has been trail riding for 4 years. I took him on a few hunter paces and he gets all balled up when there are horses infront of him, or coming up from behind (at a walk, not canter). I would love to get into endurance riding, but his behavior is alittle un-nerving sometimes. You have to sit deep and talk to him and once the horses are gone, he settles down. But every time we encounter this, he gets balled up again, so this could make for a LONG day in the saddle. :winkgrin:

Any suggestions? Or is this just something we have to work thru?

Simbalism
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:52 AM
Years ago, I had a trainer who made us do an exercise she called Hunter Pass. We would line up single file riding around the edge of the arena and all would walk. Horse at the back of the line would do an extended walk and pass to the front of the line. Each rider would do this, then everyone continue walking and end horse trots to front of line. Next everyone trot and last horse extended trot to front. Then trot with end horse cantering past and continue up to canter, canter/hand gallop past. This could work to bore your horse with the excitement if you could get some friends to help you. Try in the ring until he seems to be bored and then move the excercise to the trail. Good luck!

Fancy That
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:45 PM
Yes, the Leap Frog exercise.

Also practice coming and going, where you approach eachother from a distance, pass, and keep going - then turn around and do it again.

PletchersMom
Jun. 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
Thank you both very much. I will give this a try. It can only help my situation. :lol: