PDA

View Full Version : Tad Coffin Leather Pads??

montanahjcowgirl
Jun. 8, 2011, 07:51 PM
I need to buy a pad to go under my saddle for my new horse...I have been borrowing a saddleright pad and I LOVE it, but they are SO expensive, and I'm unfortunately a broke college kid. So I was snooping around and I found the Tad Coffin pad. It is in the outlet store on their website for super cheap, and it looks like it would be similar...anyone have one or have any good input?? Thanks!!!

CBoylen
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:14 PM
I don't think the thin or medium pads are going to be as thick as the Saddleright pad looks on their website, but I haven't seen a saddleright pad in person. Check out the pads page on the TC site and see how they compare: http://www.tadcoffinsaddles.com/leather_pads_info.html
I have the wither relief pad and that's probably the thickness you want?

short strided
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:26 AM
I have a Saddleright and it is approximately 1/2" thick. I would assume that it is equivalent to the medium Tad. I used to have the Tad wither relief and it is much thicker than the Saddleright. I don't understand why manufacturers don't include the thickness measurement on product specs. It's the most important one!

montanahjcowgirl
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah that's what I was figuring...Do the Tad Coffin pads have some of the same benefits as the saddleright pad? (Help with sore backs, etc)

horsepoor
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah that's what I was figuring...Do the Tad Coffin pads have some of the same benefits as the saddleright pad? (Help with sore backs, etc)

I have had both and don't think the TC pad is anything like the saddleright pad. Well, maybe similar in that they both contain leather and neoprene, but that's it! I never considered the TC pad to do more than helping the TC saddle fit a narrower horse. The saddleright has some other cushy stuff in it (gel?) and is made in two pieces sewn together so you have less pressure directly over the spine (like how the Mattes pads have the gullet area with no fleece so you have spine clearance), where the TC pad is one piece and can put more pressure on the spine.

The TC pad does come in different thicknesses, so you might be able to find something that approaches the saddleright thickness (agree with the person that said they thought it was 1/2" thick at the thickest part-- seems about right). But it won't necessarily be a perfect substitute -- I would only look at the TC pad for narrowing a too-wide saddle and not having any other therapeutic benefits.

montanahjcowgirl
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks so much!

Does anyone know anything about the lami-cell ones?

meupatdoes
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:52 PM
If you are on the hunt for saddle pad suggestions, I really like this ProLite pad (http://www.dutchessbridlesaddle.com/shopresults.cfm?dispcat=101). Great shock absorbtion benefits and adjustable shims. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either.

Otoh I have an old TC pad lying around that I will never use again; I can dig around and see if I can find it for you.
Also a Supracor if that would be of interest to you.

osgoka01
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:27 PM
I have a Lami Cell and like it... on some horses. It is cushy and soft but I find it rather thick. I don't use it on the rounder barrel types as I find it can get my saddle (A CWD) moving around a bit.

I like the thinlines alot.

BAC
Jun. 9, 2011, 04:47 PM
I have a Lami Cell and like it... on some horses. It is cushy and soft but I find it rather thick. I don't use it on the rounder barrel types as I find it can get my saddle (A CWD) moving around a bit.

You're right, it is thick, I can't feel the horse underneath me when I've used one. It does seem to add protection to the horse's back while not changing the balance of the saddle, which is good IMO. I've never had slippage problems but I can see how that would happen on a very round type of animal.

DressageOverFences
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:17 PM
I splurged on a saddleright pad after trying to find something like it. I looked at the tad coffins, but like someone else said, they aren't two pieces of leather so more bulk under the spine which just wouldn't work for me.They last for decades if you take care of them right, so I think they are worth the money. Also, look on ebay, you can find them for around 100 dollars if you pay attention. I think you would be happier with a used pad you actually wanted than a new pad that wasn't the same thing. You could also look into getting a non leather one which is significantly cheaper.

montanahjcowgirl
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:17 PM
HAHA Ironically enough, i just looked on ebay for the second time today (I've been checking once a week as well!) and found a saddleright pad for 100 bucks! Yay!!! Now onto buying all of the rest of the stuff that comes with buying a new horse...(I'm not really complaining...I mean really, what's better than tack shopping?!)