PDA

View Full Version : Young Horse candidates

columbus
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:50 PM
What are the charecteristics that make a good candidate for the Young Horse classes? I have a Welsh Cob 4yo who seems to be a training dynamo with lots of charisma and 3 very good gaits. I don't know much about the Young Horse competitions. Where do I find out more? PatO

dressurpferd01
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:13 PM
All three gaits must be fantastic. By this I mean: the walk must be 100% clear 4-beat as well as showing tons of overstride, and moving through their whole body. The trot needs to show quite a bit of suspension, show a good amount of overstride, even in the working trot, they MUST have a good lengthening that actually borders on a medium, and have a regular steady rhythm. The canter needs to be uphill, have a big stride, have a lot of jump, and be balanced both directions.

The horse needs to be consistently on the bit/aids, and have good submission.

You can get more info about the YH program from the USEF website (http://usef.org/_IFrames/breedsdisciplines/discipline/alldressage/NatlYHProgram.aspx).

honeylips
Jun. 24, 2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fLZg70cYL4

video of Top 2 ranked FEI 4yo

Bogey2
Jun. 25, 2011, 07:06 AM
The purposes of this program are to encourage the properly structured development of young dressage prospects through the training scale; to identify and recognize outstanding talent and the training of international-caliber horses; and to prepare these horses for future careers at the FEI level and participation on U.S. High Performance teams

you can still show in the classes but the main purpose is in the statement above. The classes were added so we would do a better job identifying and cultivating future talent.

jcotton
Jun. 25, 2011, 07:43 AM
Be realistic, some Welsh Cobs have better movement than other Welsh Cobs but they are not the same caliber of horse compared to "dressage-bred" better moving-better minded dressage horses.

I can speak on this, from my own personal experience. I ride a welsh cob, while he got some good scores at training level. he was in a group of horses that were specifically bred for dressage. One in particular, had scores in the mid to high 70's. This particular horse has carried those scores consistently through his shows at each level that he moved up through. Unless this same horse, is 3 legged lame, goes off course, my welsh cob doesn't have the movement to beat him.
But I love my Welsh Cob regardless and gives me what he is capable of, after all he is a ground-bound horse and tries to please.

exvet
Jun. 25, 2011, 12:56 PM
While I think I have a few welsh cobs who are quite competitive and have done well far beyond training level I do not find them to be the "cup of tea" that most are looking for in the FEI Young Horse tests. Having said that look up Glenhaven Barossa. He did well (actually I'm pretty sure he won a division award) at the FEI 5 year old test a couple of years ago. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Considering the total number of Welsh Cobs in the US, those who actually compete in dressage and the results they produce, they really aren't too shabby.

pryme_thyme
Jun. 27, 2011, 06:27 PM
I can't give any advice regarding what judges look for but I highly doubt my 3 y/o DWB filly will look like that 4 y/o next year lol. Kudos

baylady7
Jun. 29, 2011, 01:32 PM
FYI, Glenhaven Barossa Valley (aka BV) is still showing successfully- even today he is showing a 4th Level Test at Suddenly Farm's licenced show in NJ. He belongs to a friend who carefully manages his work so he is healthy and not burned out. He won a big check for the top scoring "Born in the USA" breeders award when shown at Devon as a youngster.

mp
Jun. 29, 2011, 03:20 PM

Let me preface what I am about to post with 1) I hate it when people start picking apart videos of really nice horses; and 2) that is one really nice horse, 4 y.o. or whatever. But ...

Does he appear to be paddling at times at the trot? I get glimpses of it on the serpentines and on almost every circle or turn when I can see the horse straight on from the front or back.

Is it just the angle or is that the result of all that expression in front? Educate my eye, please.

not again
Jun. 29, 2011, 03:34 PM
Focus more on the swinging loin connection and the ability of the hind leg to come under the center of gravity. Paddling or not, the horse is using the back end correctly. Youngsters sometimes roll through their shoulders until they learn real extension.

mp
Jun. 29, 2011, 05:15 PM
Focus more on the swinging loin connection and the ability of the hind leg to come under the center of gravity. Paddling or not, the horse is using the back end correctly. Youngsters sometimes roll through their shoulders until they learn real extension.

I never thought he wasn't using himself correctly, just wondered about what I was seeing. And rolling the shoulders would make sense, given his age.

Thanks.

cuatx55
Jun. 29, 2011, 07:40 PM
Let me preface what I am about to post with 1) I hate it when people start picking apart videos of really nice horses; and 2) that is one really nice horse, 4 y.o. or whatever. But ...

Does he appear to be paddling at times at the trot? I get glimpses of it on the serpentines and on almost every circle or turn when I can see the horse straight on from the front or back.

Is it just the angle or is that the result of all that expression in front? Educate my eye, please.

Be careful here---that is Honeylips horse! he was just imported.
: )

mickeydoodle
Jun. 29, 2011, 08:10 PM

yep, that is the type of horse and rider they are looking for in the young horse classes- fabulous:winkgrin:

honeylips
Jun. 29, 2011, 08:35 PM
Agree with Not Again - that many young horses do roll their shoulders out as they are developing the ability to really lift the front end. But he also does paddle a little- but it doesn't bother me at all nor the judges.:-)
Paddling isn't considered a fault in FEI or YH classes or any other classes or championships I have competed in. In his case it does not come from crooked front legs - his front legs are super clean and good - so we aren't worried. If it came from crooked front legs - I wouldn't have bought him as I have learned that lesson already the hard way.

Freddy is such a loose swinging mover at this point through his whole body- he doesn't have great control of his legs or body yet - so sometimes they do tend to go a bit all over the place, especially when turning (!) and that is what you are seeing. He still helicopters through those 10 meter turns!

He is a very good boy and so willing to work, learns quickly and is a dream in the back. We are optimistic for his future in the big arena both long term and short term. Time will tell - but he shows a lot of aptitude for both collection and extension. The front end effort and the hind end effort match up and he is not just all flash up front. So far so good.....

Donella
Jun. 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
This is off topic, but Honeylips, I LOVE that pony stallion on your youtube account. Is he for sale??

not again
Jun. 29, 2011, 09:08 PM
I hear you Honeylips! Our four year old Dressage Royal son Don William is that kind of mover. He did a 20 meter circle at the trot today that took my breath away...of course that "up and through" didn't last very long, but it sure gave a glimpse of a stupendous five year old. Nice when a baby can do that to you!

honeylips
Jun. 29, 2011, 10:35 PM
This is off topic, but Honeylips, I LOVE that pony stallion on your youtube account. Is he for sale??

Yes - and he is licensed and tested as well. He belongs to a friend of mine. Gorgeous gorgeous pony. Eligible in the USA for Welsh as well.

mp
Jun. 30, 2011, 11:10 AM
Be careful here---that is Honeylips horse! he was just imported.
: )

Whoooeeee ... I really stepped in it, didn't I? :lol:

Agree with Not Again - that many young horses do roll their shoulders out as they are developing the ability to really lift the front end. But he also does paddle a little- but it doesn't bother me at all nor the judges.:-)
Paddling isn't considered a fault in FEI or YH classes or any other classes or championships I have competed in. In his case it does not come from crooked front legs - his front legs are super clean and good - so we aren't worried. If it came from crooked front legs - I wouldn't have bought him as I have learned that lesson already the hard way.

Freddy is such a loose swinging mover at this point through his whole body- he doesn't have great control of his legs or body yet - so sometimes they do tend to go a bit all over the place, especially when turning (!) and that is what you are seeing. He still helicopters through those 10 meter turns!

He is a very good boy and so willing to work, learns quickly and is a dream in the back. We are optimistic for his future in the big arena both long term and short term. Time will tell - but he shows a lot of aptitude for both collection and extension. The front end effort and the hind end effort match up and he is not just all flash up front. So far so good.....

Thanks so much for the explanation. I know zilch.0 about Young Horse classes or about young horses of this caliber, hence my question.

He really is a lovely lovely horse. He looks so willing and relaxed in that video -- kudos to his rider for handling him so well. With all that talent, it's easy to forget that he's so young and still learning where all the parts are.

Congratulations and best wishes for the future.

angela malony
Oct. 3, 2011, 01:48 PM
FYI, Glenhaven Barossa Valley (aka BV) is still showing successfully- even today he is showing a 4th Level Test at Suddenly Farm's licenced show in NJ. He belongs to a friend who carefully manages his work so he is healthy and not burned out. He won a big check for the top scoring "Born in the USA" breeders award when shown at Devon as a youngster.

Glenhaven Barossa Valley is my Welsh Cob. For those of you that want to be competitive and have fun, please don't discount the Cobs. BV is a wonderful all around and competitive pony. He was at Dressage at Devon four times. He was a High Score American Bred Three Year Old in open competition.. He was Fourth in the FEI Four Year Olds (the only year they held that as an FEI class) and Fourth in the Five Year Old Championship Finals. He was a two time Born In The USA winner at DAD. He retuened to DAD in 2011 and was Fifth in both Fourth Level Test Two classes. Then on Sunday he was ridden by a child in the Leadline class!!! He is trained and shown by Brenda Doudican of Freehold NJ, and also ridden by me, (a grandmother).
Cobs Rule::yes:

RedmondDressage
Oct. 3, 2011, 06:27 PM
Honeylips - Just have to tell you how much I love Freddy. I've been watching he and Alyssa this summer and got to watch her lesson on Freddy with Alfredo at the clinic this past weekend. He's a pleasure to watch and seems like a doll to work with as well :)

Absolut Equestrian
Oct. 3, 2011, 06:48 PM
Glenhaven Barossa Valley is my Welsh Cob. For those of you that want to be competitive and have fun, please don't discount the Cobs.
Cobs Rule::yes:

Angela, congratulations on your lovely guy! I saw his class on Sunday at DAD, and his test was a pleasure to watch. There were certainly some VERY nice, fancy horses in the class, but also many riders who were clearly a bundle of nerves/frustration hoping that these horses could contain their "brilliance" and remain IN the arena for the entire test. It was refreshing to see BV's correct, pleasant test with a SMILING rider!

honeylips
Oct. 3, 2011, 08:23 PM
Honeylips - Just have to tell you how much I love Freddy. I've been watching he and Alyssa this summer and got to watch her lesson on Freddy with Alfredo at the clinic this past weekend. He's a pleasure to watch and seems like a doll to work with as well :)

Thanks so much!!! Freddy had a stellar year with Alyssa for sure. We were so proud of him winning the USEF FEI Young Horse Championships!
Next up is a trip down to Steffens for training and he will be a demo horse in the USDF Symposium in December.
Alyssa said Freddy did some great work with Alfredo this weekend! I'm sorry I missed it..

RedmondDressage
Oct. 4, 2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks so much!!! Freddy had a stellar year with Alyssa for sure. We were so proud of him winning the USEF FEI Young Horse Championships!
Next up is a trip down to Steffens for training and he will be a demo horse in the USDF Symposium in December.
Alyssa said Freddy did some great work with Alfredo this weekend! I'm sorry I missed it..

Ah! Jealous, I would love to ride with Steffen for an extended period of time! Freddy really did look great in the clinic. I am a little bummed you missed it too but for selfish reasons... We haven't met but I've heard you're quite knowledgeable about buying horses at the auctions and I kind of wanted to pick your brain if you were at the clinic. I'm just starting to look for a prospect and I've been tossing around the idea of picking something up over there. The quality looks unbeatable but the whole process seems a bit nerve wracking to a newbie :)

crystalyoung1
Oct. 4, 2011, 02:37 PM
Honeylips thanks for the explaniation of what Freddy does in the trot. I've seen similar shoulder movement from my 5yo and wondered if there was something wrong with her! Whlie she will never have the high quality he has I'm hopeful this rolling will dissapear. My DH said she looks like a weight lifter when she walks shoulders swing out of proportion to the body!:)