PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an ex steeplechaser

huntjumpjen
Jun. 8, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hi, Does anyone know where in Virginia (or nearby) I can find an off the track steeplechase horse? I am looking for a new horse to finish myself for pleasure, jumping and foxhunting and I LOVE retired steeplechasers. I can't find anywhere on line or from my contacts where I can get a horse done with his steeplechase career ready to move on to pleasure....any leads would be very appreciated! Thank you:confused:

Hunter's Rest
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:25 PM
Horses like that are very rarely (possibly never) "sold" on the open market. Every 'chase horseman is ... well, a horseman, and they use them themselves for hunt/show/whatever. And if they are to be shifted along, there is a long line of insiders with their hands out. The ones out in the open would, typically, not be the ones you'd want. And if they are available, and are the right sort, they will be extremely expensive.
Not being negative, just being realistic.
Try the flat track. You can get a handful at a time for free.

Linny
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:33 AM
Most of those types are retained by their owners or trainers as foxhunters, show horses or pleasure mounts. They are very hard to find.

The only suggestion I could make is to contact Sean Clancy. He deals in bloodstock for chasing and may know of a horse or two looking to be placed.
But as Hunter's Rest said, those types of horses are rare and they are usually the ones that are of less settled demeanor.

Xctrygirl
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:40 AM
http://www.seanclancybloodstock.com/cms/

Sean's Link.

I have an ex Steeplechaser. But the kick is that I got him from a trainer at Charlestown, who was a close friend, and I prepped him for his point to points, and sent him to established jump trainers for his hurdle races.

He sucked at the sanctioned meets, but won a pair of point to point races. (1 over fences, one on the flat)

And I spent your "normal" Canter/OTTB price when I bought him... but I made him and keep him myself. And he wouldn't be for sale for a price anywhere near that now.

Sean may know a few but they're not like CANTER horses. Their trainers know they have value.

I bought an ex chaser when I was in high school and in 1989 it cost us $10k.

But he was a hell of a packer.

~Emily

LauraKY
Jun. 13, 2011, 11:24 AM
They're really tough to find and most trainers are pretty picky about the homes they go to. You really need to befriend a trainer. We have one, but he's not for sale at any price.

SEPowell
Jun. 13, 2011, 11:51 AM
Keep an eye on MidAtlantic Horse Rescue. 3 times Bev has found nice steeplechase horses at the name will not be mentioned sale. In those instances, the horses had been placed in what the trainers thought were reliable homes and when things didn't work out the new owners sent them down the road. Believe me, the trainers were horrified and angry.

Once a young woman found an X chaser who was sent by his owner/trainer. The guy was a creep and I think he's out of NSA now, thank goodness.

You won't have to do too much training if you get an X chaser so if you want the experience of training an ottb you should go to the track or a tb rescue and buy a tb who's made for jumping and start at the beginning. You stand to learn so much. It's a great experience that will serve you well in the long run. Not that an experience with an X chaser wouldn't serve you well too, but you may have to spend a lot of time net working to find one.

You could start by going to steeplechase races!

Calamber
Jun. 19, 2011, 10:36 PM
Pick up the phone and call all of the NSA listed trainers in your area. Surely someone will know of an ex-chaser or timber horse who needs a home. There are many who fail at that job too, but since they will be trained, it is all a plus for what you want.

race_run_jump
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:26 PM
Haha Patent Leather, Emily!! Was friends with him before you!! Loved him!

To OP- do some phone time. They're out there. And worth it.

gumtree
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
We have a couple that maybe of interest. They will be hound walking with Cheshire shortly to get a handle on temperament. Being in that circle I know just about everybody so might be able to help out with others. Keep in mind some can be very spirited in the beginning. Ex-timber horse will be better suited from the get go. Feel free to PM me.