PDA

View Full Version : Escudo 1 information

pennylane16
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:48 PM
I own a Escudo 1 foal named Escudero, he recently collicked and needed surgery. I am trying to figure out if any other Escudo 1 foals have collicked? Also if anyone has had any issues with escudo 1 foals?

Renn/aissance
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:02 AM
With colic being an ailment that develops in response to all manner of things including, it seems, something so small as a change in the weather, I am sure other Escudo I foals have colicked at the same frequency as Secretariat foals, Alla'Czar foals, Fuerst Gotthard foals, foals by my neighbor's nice Quarter Horse stallion, etc. It has nothing to do with their parentage and everything to do with their environment. Ask your vet for more information if concerned.

BAC
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:00 AM
There are lots of Escudos out there showing very successfully, so I wouldn't blame the colic on the breeding, I think Renn is right about too many other factors that contribute to colic.

findeight
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:14 AM
Known 3 Escudo babies out of 3 different mares, 1 TB, one Holsteiner and one described as a "WB cross". Owned by 3 different people kept at 3 different places under 3 different trainers.

All made it to the show ring jumping 2'6" courses in the fall of their 4 year old year with nothing more serious then a stone bruise. No particular training issues outside the norm for baby greenies.

Alterrier
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
When I first read this, I thought Escudero was a foal, but based on your other thread, searching for any information about your horse's past, it now appears he's an older horse.

I'm sorry to hear about his colic surgery, but not quite sure why you think it has anything to do with his breeding... IMHO, it's really not fair to call out a stallion (and an extraordinary one at that) without evidence of a congenital problem. Unfounded implications like that can muck with a stallion's reputation and a breeder's livelihood.

P.S. A foal is BY a stallion and OUT OF a mare.

findeight
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:29 AM
Plus, with frozen seman available, a stud can sire 100+ foals a year worldwide. Way back when, 40 via live cover was about it.

This stud has been popular for years and if there was any congenital problem or behavioral issues? It would be well known by now.

OP, sorry your horse had to have colic surgery...so do many others each year completely unrelated to yours.

MyssMyst
Jun. 9, 2011, 12:16 PM
When I first read this, I thought Escudero was a foal, but based on your other thread, searching for any information about your horse's past, it now appears he's an older horse.

I'm sorry to hear about his colic surgery, but not quite sure why you think it has anything to do with his breeding... IMHO, it's really not fair to call out a stallion (and an extraordinary one at that) without evidence of a congenital problem. Unfounded implications like that can muck with a stallion's reputation and a breeder's livelihood.

P.S. A foal is BY a stallion and OUT OF a mare.

This! Colic happens. End of story.

pennylane16
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:26 PM
I realize that colic happens and has nothing to do with the stallion and that it has to do with the horse itself BUT he is a very "looky" horse and has been to many places and had colic issues so it has nothing to do with where he is since all the places hes been have been different. I was simply asking to see if anyone else has had an Escudo 1 foal and if they had colicked, I was not blaming any of it on the sire. Also he has been succesfull in the show ring, showing in the 1.15m in palm beach and such and is moving up quickly so I am not complaining or trying to make the sire sound bad, If anything I would Highly recommend him as a stallion, as he seems to breed amazing jumpers.

Summit Springs Farm
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:02 PM
I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole! Seriously?

Alterrier
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:46 AM
I realize that colic happens and has nothing to do with the stallion and that it has to do with the horse itself BUT he is a very "looky" horse and has been to many places and had colic issues so it has nothing to do with where he is since all the places hes been have been different. I was simply asking to see if anyone else has had an Escudo 1 foal and if they had colicked, I was not blaming any of it on the sire. Also he has been succesfull in the show ring, showing in the 1.15m in palm beach and such and is moving up quickly so I am not complaining or trying to make the sire sound bad, If anything I would Highly recommend him as a stallion, as he seems to breed amazing jumpers.

I am so confused.

europa
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:51 AM
I believe there are drugs for this sort of thing....the poster I mean.

All 3 of the posts. GEESH

You just said it has nothing to at all to do with the stallion and yet you are asking for genetic confirmation of the COLIC problem. Hello....Sybil on line 3.

findeight
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:57 AM
OK, I'll say it...somebody has to state the obvious.

If he is at 1.15m and " has been alot of places, had alot of colic issues and is moving up quickly"?

Never heard of "looky" or even a little spooky being a colic predictor. But HAVE alot of experience over alot of years watching the rigors of training, being alot of places and pressure to move up quickly result in repeated colic episodes and eventually surgery.

Imagine the trainer here might be blaming the breeding instead of the obvious????

MyssMyst
Jun. 10, 2011, 10:42 AM

You realize you make zero sense, right? How are you NOT blaming it on the sire? I'm calling BSC.

JWB
Jun. 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
If he's looky and showing a lot, check for ulcers. Probably hasn't got a thing to do with his breeding - more to do with his show schedule.

Was he twisted, displaced, or just impacted? Sounds like you needed two threads - one to ask about colic and another to ask about the sire, as your OP sounds like you are wanting to blame the colic on his breeding (ridiculous).

His foals are generally fantastic but will colic as much as any other horse might with a heavy show schedule.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 10, 2011, 01:42 PM
I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole! Seriously?

Escudero could jump that pole!

if he weren't looky-ing to colic.....

popcorn: nearly ready

ReeseTheBeast
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:17 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CBoylen
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:27 PM
Alright, since you all are questioning too, I want to know why the Escudero that comes up on USEF is a ch/ad hunter who has shown four times and not since 2008?

Summit Springs Farm
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:52 PM

So can our new imported 4 yr oldgelding by Escudo I!!

He will be here next week, so I'll have to let you know then for sure, ;)

http://www.facebook.com/liz.hudspeth#!/photo.php?fbid=1677419776444&set=a.1014282878436.2002195.1265976274&type=1&theater

Eekwhiner
Jun. 11, 2011, 12:51 PM
For show info on this horse check the Competition Results on the Equine Canada Site.
Pennylane16 you have a private message.

islndgirl
Jun. 11, 2011, 05:37 PM
I know an Escudero by Escudo, which is the horse with the results on USEF. The OP said in another thread that her horse is a flea bitten grey. The one with the USEF results is black, so not the same horse as OPs.

Is it possible that two horses by Escudo could have the same name?

CBoylen
Jun. 11, 2011, 07:32 PM
Is it possible that two horses by Escudo could have the same name?
Sure. I thought maybe the horse had greyed out since it was recorded, and didn't think the poster was Canadian. But that answers my question!

islndgirl
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:37 PM
CBoylen, I missed the part that the OPs horse was Canadian entirely! So, mystery solved - definitely two different horses. The one I know is definitely black because I saw him the other day :). He is also no longer showing, but is a lovely horse.