PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Hoy shows us great cross country riding!

lstevenson
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:09 PM
This is a great example of a rider who is always in perfect balance with his horse. He is always poised and smooth. His horse is in self carriage, and he maintains a wonderful rhythm between and to his fences. This is what we should all strive for! (Although the pom pom on his helmet makes me laugh! We used to all wear them in the 80's - and you don't see too many around anymore.) What aspects of his riding really stand out to you?

http://www.myvirtualeventingcoach.com/articles/great_cross_country_riding

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

LLDM
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:06 PM
I'll start. His lower leg is solid as a rock. It doesn't move, doesn't flop or slip, but is not stiff either. Reminds me of Mike Plumb - a lot!

His balance and tact do so much to conserve his horse.

SCFarm

eventer_mi
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:24 PM
Nothing to add about Andrew Hoy - beautiful rider.

I thought I was really hot stuff when I found a helmet cover with a pom-pom on a visit to Ireland in the mid-90s. Now, I realize how ridiculous I looked with it on!

SueCoo2
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:46 PM
What a beautiful soft and kind ride. Both he and the horse looked incredibly relaxed.

KateKat
Jun. 8, 2011, 05:02 PM
wow-I don't event, but seeing a video like that makes it look so easy! (even though I know its not, lol) Lovely rider and that horse-ears perked the whole time.

rebeginner
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:55 PM
And there's no head-yanking. The horse's head barely moves out of its line. Andrew's half-halts are imperceptible. When you watch that kind of cross-country riding, it really does look easy.

Brigitte
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:07 PM
What a great video. He meets all his jumps going forward, not taking back and yanking on his horse's face.

Also, how quick the horse was with his front end at that big log at the edge of the drop (about 1:20).

Gnep
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:52 PM
Lower leg, never moves, perfect position, butt/heel line always the same, no matter what.
None of this leaning on the horses back, legs forward, rains as long as laundry lines crap, that we see so much in the US.

Just a perfect, balanced seat, true riding skill

Snapdragon
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:53 PM
What a great video. He meets all his jumps going forward, not taking back and yanking on his horse's face.

Also, how quick the horse was with his front end at that big log at the edge of the drop (about 1:20).

What a master. Going along the lines of meeting the jumps going forward--he seems to keep the same pace throughout the course, with no wasted energy. Even into the water, he's right there, not making a big move.

Also, I notice how strong he is in his core--great athlete.

ACMEeventing
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:09 AM
Amazing.

Of course, it's video like this that make all of our non-horsey friends say "oh, how hard could it be? The horse does all the work, you just point them at stuff and they jump it, right?"

riderboy
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:11 AM
A rythym you could set your watch by, hands the first thing over every jump, his shoulders over his horses shoulders, balance, solid lower leg and all the above. I think it was Moonfleet we saw him ride at the last long format Rolex. He came down to the roads and tracks with just seconds to spare before his start time, cool as a cucumber. He has a lot of ice water in his veins, nothing seems to bother him.

Abracadabra
Jun. 10, 2011, 08:52 AM
love how high his is off his horses back, practically the whole ride, strong legs & core for sure. it almost looks like he's floating above the horse somehow - no interference, no bouncing on his back, just great!