PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One Who Hates Fancy Stitched Bridles?

overthemoon
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:49 PM
I see them everywhere, and I find they are the norm with most higher end tack. But I really, really dislike them. I would take a nice, raised noseband any day, and I think they look better on most horses anyway!

Please tell me I'm not the only one out there...

BAC
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
I don't hate them, I even own a couple, but I much prefer my plain bridles over the fancy stitched ones. IMO the beauty is in the quality of the leather and workmanship, I don't need anything else.

dab
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:08 PM
'Hate' is a bit strong, but I prefer plain -- Unfortunately, the plain ones don't seem to go on sale, so my show tack is mostly fancy stiched --

shawneeAcres
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:16 PM
Yes I much prefer plain, raised noseband/browbands. Have a couple fancy stiched, but kind of "Acquired" them didn't actively buy them!

MyssMyst
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:23 PM
Not a fan of the stitched either. But I had a braided bridle that I really used to love. My old mare had a beautiful head, and the bridle just showcased it perfectly.

OveroHunter
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'm kind of a fan of fancy stitched... I just hate rolled leather bridles. I am of the opinion that unless your horse is an Arabian, it's just not appropriate. Maybe that's just me.

KateKat
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:50 PM
I think on a plain head, the fancy stitch looks nice. Like my mare does not have a very pretty shaped head at all-its big, and jug-like, nothing refined or feminine about it. So I bought her a square raised, fancy stitched wide noseband bridle a few weeks ago and it definitely makes her head look a lot prettier!

caffeinated
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
I prefer square raised bridles, honestly. :) No strong feelings, but that's what looks nicest on my horse :)

amastrike
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:11 PM
The only bridles I really and truly hate are flat leather. I know it's traditional, but I find them horribly unattractive.

doublesstable
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:17 PM
I don't like the fancy stitched either. I think they look too busy. To me it's about the beauty of the horse... All my bridles are plain raised and dark oiled. Soooo classic looking.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-1298

I have this bridle with no flash and oiled up really dark... I just love it.

purplnurpl
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:28 PM
I think on a plain head, the fancy stitch looks nice. Like my mare does not have a very pretty shaped head at all-its big, and jug-like, nothing refined or feminine about it. So I bought her a square raised, fancy stitched wide noseband bridle a few weeks ago and it definitely makes her head look a lot prettier!

this.
For some reason the sign on my gate reads: "plain solid bays only"

for which a fancy stitch works wonderfully.
My grey was quite loud. He went in a plain bridle until he turned totally white--at which time he moved to a fancy stitch.

kelsey97
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:28 PM
1. When you're out there in the ring can anybody even see the fancy stitching?!?
2. I doubt that a judge would knock you in a confo class based on the stitching on your bridle.
3. Once you ride in in a few times the stitching becomes a bit dirty and doesn't have the pop it did when new.

So, one more vote for plain raised tack, it is timeless and classic. I love mine.

IveGotRhythm
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:32 PM
The only bridles I really and truly hate are flat leather. I know it's traditional, but I find them horribly unattractive.

That's interesting. I think the best look for my classic plain jane bay TB is a classic flat hunter bridle.

Personal taste, I guess.

paint hunter
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:45 PM
Put me in the plain raised class also, although I actually prefer the plain raised padded bridles. When I see plain raised, I think understated elegance. However, I am not a fan of the big super-wide nosebands unless the horse has a head to match. The raised padded is a nice middle ground.

I also agree with an earlier poster that it seems that the bridles that tend to go on sale are more often fancy stitiched. Bummer for me, better for my pocketbook.

overthemoon
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:46 PM
I somehow lucked out with a plain bay mare... I'm still anti-fancy stitch.

My mare only has a teeeensy white star, but I still think the classic square raised bridle looks best. :)

PolymerChem
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:49 PM
I prefer square raised bridles, honestly. :) No strong feelings, but that's what looks nicest on my horse :)

I'm not the only one who likes the square raised bridles? :lol:

1. Square raised
2. Plain raised (what I have for myself)
3. Fancy stitched (what was provided with my leased horse)
4. Braid inlays

Flat bridles look okay on some heads but terrible on others so I didn't include them in my rankings.

jump4me
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:54 PM
My preference is for whatever I think looks best on the particular horse. One of mine looks (I think) awful in a fancy stitched or thick/wide leather (smaller, more refined head) and looks lovely in a well oiled, narrower, unpadded bridle. The other one looks great in my slightly wider, padded, fancy stitched bridle but he also looks just fine in a plain or unpadded or non-fancy stitched one.
I just think he looks more dressed up in the fancy stitched one :lol:

Janet
Jun. 8, 2011, 05:24 PM
And I, on the other hand, definitely prefer flat tack. ESPECIALLY on a horse with a large head.

I think putting a skinny raised bridle on a big head makes the head look BIGGER and MORE "COMMON".

Just my opinion.

pryme_thyme
Jun. 8, 2011, 05:40 PM
bump the square raised!

CHT
Jun. 8, 2011, 05:45 PM
I like that there is an assortment of acceptable bridle styles for hunters. I have never really thought about which style I prefer; I just try to find one that suites the horse the best and is in my budget. For me it is not so much what the judge likes or if they can see it, it is what I like and I think looks classy on my horse.

theinstigator
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:50 PM
I am not a fan of fancy stitching, and perhaps that's because the stitching always looks dingy and dirty to me, even if the bridle is spotless. I love a beautiful, plain, square raised bridle. I also prefer plaited reins over laced reins.....so take it for what it's worth :winkgrin:

What I really can't stand (zipping up my flame suit right now) are the bridles with super wide nosebands and super skinny browbands.

mojo7777
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:58 PM
I love the look of a flat, old fashioned hunter bridle--nostalgia, I guess--and plan to get one when I have a little extra cash. I've never cared for fancy stitch, or fancy anything on horses. I much prefer the plain, simple, classic.

Showjumper28
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:58 PM
I love love love square raised. That being said, my horse has a gigantic head. And he is a solid, plain bay. So his show bridle is a padded square raised and fancy stitched. But the stitching is subtle, so it isn't distracting. I am not a fan of the braided bridles or the rolled, that someone else mentioned. Flat bridles are great on the right horse, but most horses aren't that horse. LOL

danceronice
Jun. 8, 2011, 07:23 PM
That's interesting. I think the best look for my classic plain jane bay TB is a classic flat hunter bridle.

Personal taste, I guess.

I would love to have a plain, flat leather bridle and reins to match. I may just bite the bullet and have the Amish guy down in Shipsie make one for me.

JustABay
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:56 PM
Count me in as another on who loves the look of square raised, I think it looks so rich on most horses.

Flat bridles look great on the draft crosses, or anything with a big head IMO, and rolled leather never looks good lol

billiebob
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:35 PM
I prefer fancy stitched on my horse, but he's a plain bay TB without any white. He has a nice head, but it definitely looks better with a little decoration or substance. I normally ride him in a flat figure 8 (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2753566760105464652bfdpXC) but I have a double raised bridle (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2188196900105464652ctGxTM) that looks very nice on him.

ETA My preferences are plain raised on horses with white facial markings, and fancy stitched if no white. I hate big heads in tiny little bridles and vice versa. I generally only like flat bridles on big jug heads....although they're much easier to clean! :lol:

morganpony86
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:15 AM
OP, you are definitely not alone. I have a plain flat (not even raised) bridle that's decades old and I LOVE it. It still cleans up to look brand new.

I had someone come up to me at a show a couple years back and wanted to buy it from me. She said that foxhunters would kill for it. But I don't know if it's still the trend.

Mako
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm another that likes the square raised plain bridles. I'm not a big fan of fancy stitched.

JenEM
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:02 AM
I like a fancy stitched bridle, just not on my horse! She's got a big wide blaze, and doesn't need anything else going on with her face. She's got a nice dark, square raised (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2043/5815137100_da1c391ce2_z.jpg) Crosby that I love :)

BAC
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:39 AM
OP, you are definitely not alone. I have a plain flat (not even raised) bridle that's decades old and I LOVE it. It still cleans up to look brand new.

I had someone come up to me at a show a couple years back and wanted to buy it from me. She said that foxhunters would kill for it. But I don't know if it's still the trend.

Flat bridles in the hunt field is the norm, it is not a trend, in fact it is considered the only acceptable bridle for fox hunters in many hunts. But they are not hard to find either, if you know where to look. I'm sure you could easily sells yours if you want.

pattnic
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:48 AM
I also much prefer square raised, and I'm another who doesn't much care for fancy stitching (except for maybe black, like on the Crosby Excel).

Because he's so hard to fit, the gelding has a Frankenbridle of various plain raised padded Edgewood parts.

The mare, being a much easier fit, has two Beval New Canaans - one plain raised, and the other plain raised and padded.

I also have a square raised New Cavalry on standby in wings, should I need it for some reason.

It makes me very sad that more companies don't offer square raised and square raised padded bridles!

BAC
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:57 AM
I also much prefer square raised, and I'm another who doesn't much care for fancy stitching . . .The mare, being a much easier fit, has two Beval New Canaans - one plain raised, and the other plain raised and padded.

I also have a square raised New Cavalry on standby in wings, should I need it for some reason.

It makes me very sad that more companies don't offer square raised and square raised padded bridles!

I wish I had a plain square raised padded New Canaan, I'm jealous. Its hard enough to find plain square raised anymore, but next to impossible to find one of the quality of the New Canaans, in fact none of the high end bridle manufacturers seem to make them any more.

I do have a friend who is selling a plain square raised New Cavalry that is gorgeous though.

pattnic
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:00 PM
I wish I had a plain square raised padded New Canaan, I'm jealous. Its hard enough to find plain square raised anymore, but next to impossible to find one of the quality of the New Canaans, in fact none of the high end bridle manufacturers seem to make them any more.

I do have a friend who is selling a plain square raised New Cavalry that is gorgeous though.

I'm actually pretty upset with myself... the one I have is horse size, which *works* but fairly recently there was a cob size on eBay for a good price. However, I never quite got my act together, waited too long, and it sold to someone other than me. :no: (I know you of all people can appreciate this kind of upset with oneself!)

BAC
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm actually pretty upset with myself... the one I have is horse size, which *works* but fairly recently there was a cob size on eBay for a good price. However, I never quite got my act together, waited too long, and it sold to someone other than me. :no: (I know you of all people can appreciate this kind of upset with oneself!)

Yes, that is heartbreaking. :yes: I only wish it was me that had bought it.

cheektwocheek
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:15 PM
I have a 25 yr old soft square raised that still looks great. I wouldn't hesitate to show with it. Classic good looks, never go out of style.

I miss older rolled bridles on pretty fine heads, does this show my age?

VCT
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:40 PM
I HATE fancy stitching. I think it's tends to look messy/dingy. And I dunno... just not classy. It's rarely perfectly symmetrical and just... yuck. I won't buy a bridle with fancy stitching.

I love square raised. I like plain raised. I like pretty much anything else. Just no fancy stitching.

mypaintwattie
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:46 PM
My mare has so much white on her face that anything padded or fancy stitched is overwhelming. She looks best in a plain raised or square raised bridle. I got a flat hunting bridle and have been using that for shows, I think it looks just smashing on her jughead!

redlight
Jun. 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hmmm, I wish I could sell them! I have a really pretty plain square raised/padded bridle and tack stores don't want them. The fancy stitch is what sells. I wound up discontinuing the bridle as much as I like it.

Event4Life
Jun. 11, 2011, 08:44 AM
Not a fan of fancy stitching here either....I actually also love the old school flat bridles. I learned to ride at an "old fashioned" hunter place, so I guess it has stuck with me even 12 years down the road! I also like the square raised bridles people are linking too, but didn't know thats what they were called. You learn something knew every day!

Madeline
Jun. 11, 2011, 09:05 AM
I love race bridles. Split crown, only buckles on one side. You can put a cavesson on for dress up. Designed to last.

my_doran
Jun. 11, 2011, 12:15 PM
I like that there is an assortment of acceptable bridle styles for hunters. I have never really thought about which style I prefer; I just try to find one that suites the horse the best and is in my budget. For me it is not so much what the judge likes or if they can see it, it is what I like and I think looks classy on my horse.

i am with this, as bridles go as well.

x
Jun. 11, 2011, 02:59 PM
I personally love raised and fancy stitched. That said, I currently am showing in my plain flat hunt bridle...but I would like to get a raised bridle for show, as it seems more appropriate to me than my hunting tack...