PDA

View Full Version : Found a used Custom Saddlery Wolfgang Solo! But now...

MediaMD
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:06 PM
We have had very little luck getting a response from the Custom Saddlery folks in the past just to see if they would help us with a fitting for our just turned 4yr short backed invisible withers Oldenburg mare. Little baffled as to why they would be so hard to reach when we are trying to give them our hard earned $$$ but I suppose they don't need the business that much.

Finally stumbled on a almost new used Wolfgang Solo at a consignment booth and it fits her actually pretty well. However, we would still like the advice of a professional saddle fitter just in case so we can make sure we aren't causing problems as she grows and develops.

Option 1: make a tracing and ship the saddle off to their office and HOPE it fits by the time it returns. (heard horror stories of it taking months to be returned)

Option 2: Local excellent saddle fitter happy to watch the horse go and make adjustments as needed. She adjusted our old KN saddle to our ASB/Arab after trying multiple saddles and didn't try to sell me a new one but agreed it was actually the best option, so I have faith in her advice.

I would much prefer Option 2 as it is a 10 min trailer ride to where she is and she's SO easy to work with. Plus i like to support local tack people as best as we can.

However, does this obviate our EVER having Custom Saddlery touch the saddle again? It wasn't new or custom made for us to begin with but I am a little nervous about potentially damaging that relationship if we should ever need them in the future.

Any advice or similar experiences?

HCF
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:43 PM
I can't answer your last question about the future relationship with Custom, however, I had almost the identical experience! After riding in a friend's Custom, I decided I was ready to buy one for my horse. I tried for weeks to contact Custom to arrange for someone to come out and measure my horse, etc. I could not get anyone to respond! I emailed and called the local rep directly and then emailed and called the head office, basically telling them I was ready to hand over the $$ right then and there! I got very frustrated and started looking for used ones. I happened to stumble across a virtually new one for sale at a great price that I thought would fit. I bought it and got my local fitter to take a look at it and it really needed very little adjusting. About a month after I got it, I got an email back from Custom... :confused:

Its been a little over a year and I am still in love with the saddle (as is my boy!) Good luck!

joiedevie99
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:00 PM
You must have a bad rep. Mine is outstanding- returns calls and texts same day, and has an online reservation system to schedule adjustments.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:05 PM
Great saddle!!! :) I've had mine (several saddles) done by Custom Saddlery according to tracings and photos a numbers of times and only once was there a problem, that was fixed right away. I can absolutely recommend them, but I also have a great local rep who is on top of things, even if it's shipped to their NC offices.

And on your second question -- I doubt it. My rep often handles used saddles of unknown history, so I don't think there is any way for them to tell WHO has worked on a particular saddle... But you can always call them and ask ;)

JRG
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:41 AM
I have had mine for a few years and love it. Just this past winter due to schedual conflicts (both mine and their's) we just couldn't get together to have a much needed adjustment. I had another respected saddle fitter out to make the necessary adjustments. From what I understand they are fairly easy to adjust so long as the tree is correct for the horse. I wouldn't get to personal about it. I am sure they understand, they are busy and you might not want to wait...and that is ok, after all it is for the horse's welfare.

Cowgirl
Jun. 9, 2011, 06:10 AM
I had the same non-responsive experience from Custom Saddlery, dealing directly with the California office, sent tracings, photos, credit card numbers, etc. Called numerous times to try to get a demo. Absolutely no response. So I ended up shelling out for a new Hennig (which I am very happy with), and maybe four months later had a call from Custom Saddlery telling me that they were getting close to shipping me a saddle! LOL!

If your local fitter is able to fit and adjust the saddle, that's the way I would go. If you need a custom one, though, or a new one...uh, I might try a different brand...one that cares enough to return phone calls.

MediaMD
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone. We will no longer fear the wrath of the Custom Saddlery gods and talk to our very competent local saddle fitter.

We already like the saddle and the mare seems to as well, but this will truly ease our minds having the fitter watch her go and evaluate and make adjustments as she matures.

ise@ssl
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:56 AM
After reading the posts on here about lousy service and horrible response to inquiries - I'd never even consider buying one of the these saddles.

altershmalter
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:48 PM
It must be different in every area-our rep in Pa. is fantastic!!

Liz
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:19 PM
Have had a positive experience with the Texas rep and had no trouble getting someone on the phone when I called their South Carolina office. Saddle came in and I am going to a horse show. I called and asked them to extend the 10 day trial period so that it would begin when I got back from the horse show. They could not have been more accommodating.

magienoire
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
whatever you do, don't send them a tracing and your saddle. they can't fit to a tracing to save their lives, i had an absolutely HORRIBLE time trying to deal with them, and I wouldn't take one of their saddles if you paid me. Dreadful company, and poorly made, overpriced crappy saddles to boot.

atlatl
Jun. 11, 2011, 08:37 PM
whatever you do, don't send them a tracing and your saddle. they can't fit to a tracing to save their lives,...

This was my experience as well, and they did the tracing; twice!