PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Belmont Stakes 143rd edition

Glimmerglass
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:21 AM
The 143rd edition of the Belmont Stakes - post-positions were determined within the hour:

PP. Horse. ... Jockey. ... ML Odds
1. Master of Hounds. ... Garrett Gomez. ... 10-1
2. Stay Thirsty. ... Javier Castellano. ... 20-1
3. Ruler On Ice. ... Jose Valdivia, Jr. ... 20-1
4. Santiva. ... Shaun Bridgmohan. ... 15-1
5. Brilliant Speed. ... Joel Rosario. ... 15-1
6. Nehro. ... Corey Nakatani. ... 4-1
7. Monzon. ... Jose Lezcano. ... 30-1
8. Prime Cut. ... Edgar Prado. ... 15-1
9. Animal Kingdom. ... John Velazquez. ... 2-1
10. Mucho Macho Man. ... Ramon Dominguez. ... 10-1
11. Isn't He Perfect. ... Rajiv Maragh. ... 30-1
12. Shackleford. ... Jesus Castanon. ... 9-2

cloudyandcallie
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:59 PM
Hey, Glimmerglass:

Shackleford was my horse in the Derby and Preakness, I love front running horses, but.......have they been condioning him for the distance? I don't think he can hold off the others that long.

And local news said one of his owners is here in Savannah. Cubbedge or something.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:04 PM
And history is being made (actual starters may change) in this Belmont running:

Of the 12 runners, eight ran in the Kentucky Derby, including the first seven finishers. This marks the first time ever that the top seven finishers in the Derby have competed in the Belmont.

With 19-starters in the Derby this race is considerable percentage of that field in a mulligan and should bring out the interest in fans and punters.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:11 PM
Further detail for those interested:

Trainers (by post position): 1, Aidan O'Brien. 2, Todd Pletcher. 3, Kelly Breen. 4, Eddie Kenneally. 5, Tom Albertrani. 6, Steve Asmussen. 7, Ignacio Correas. 8, Neil Howard. 9, Graham Motion. 10, Kathy Ritvo. 11, Doodnauth Shivmangal. 12, Dale Romans.

Owners (by post position): 1, Mrs. John Magnier. 2, Repole Stable. 3, George and Lori Hall. 4, Tom Walters. 5, Live Oak Plantation. 6, Zayat Stables LLC. 7, Sagamore Farm. 8, Adam Donald. 9, Team Valor International. 10, Reeves Thoroughbred Racing and Dream Team. 11, Kharag Stables. 12, Michael Lauffer and W.D. Cubbedge.

Weights: 126 pounds (all)
Distance: 1 1/2 miles
Total Purse: $1 million. Payouts accordingly - First place: $600,000. Second place: $200,000. Third place: $110,000. Fourth place: $60,000. Fifth place: $30,000.

Television coverage (US) for both Friday June 10th and Saturday June 11th:

Friday, June 10

VERSUS: 4 – 5 p.m. – Belmont Stakes Classics

VERSUS: 5 – 6 p.m. – Live coverage from Belmont Park featuring the Grade 3 Poker Handicap on the Grade 2 Brooklyn Handicap presented by Ram

Saturday, June 11

VERSUS: 3 – 5 p.m. – Live coverage from Belmont Park featuring the Grade 1 Foxwoods Just a Game, the Grade 2 True North Handicap presented by Emirates Airline, and the Grade 2 Woody Stephens presented by VisitNassauCounty.com

NBC Sports: 5 – 7 p.m. – Live coverage from Belmont Park featuring the Grade 1 Belmont Stakes and the Grade 1 Woodford Reserve Manhattan Handicap.

The actual Belmont Stakes is tagged as being 6:35 pm EST

VERSUS: 7 – 7:30 p.m. – Post-race Belmont Stakes coverage

RedMare01
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:50 PM
So do any of the newcomers look good? I usually bet an exacta or trifecta box, and I like Animal Kingdom and Nehro. Who else to include?

Caitlin

Glimmerglass
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:45 PM
Shackleford was my horse in the Derby and Preakness, I love front running horses, but.......have they been condioning him for the distance? I don't think he can hold off the others that long.

I cannot speak to his conditioning, but you have to think the distance is fairly black and white. If the connections thought he would be on fumes after 1 1/4-mi then they should/would have passed. At least that's my logical view.

http://www.drf.com/news/shackleford

frugalannie
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:41 PM
Just a quick, and totally insufficient thanks to Glinmmerglass, who has been such a great resource throughout the Triple Crown series. I actually feel like I understand the strategies and considerations!

Thank you, GG.

2tempe
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:15 PM
I happen to like Shackleford for a bunch of reasons, some logical, some "from the heart". I am not sure, however, that he can do the distance...its a long extra way. Sadly, as I think 1 1/2 miles is a great racing distance, it doesn't seem to me that the conditioning is the same as it used to be when this distance was more common. (I can remember when the Jockey Club Gold Cup was 2 miles!! - and Kelso had a lock on it.)

Animal Kingdom seems to have the ability to do it; of the others, I honestly haven't a clue. Some long shot could also be right there. Last year's winner - where is he now?

Texarkana
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:04 PM
In a year of lukewarm 3 year olds, the Belmont actually has drawn a pretty impressive field. I'm looking forward to it. I did not expect to say that this year after all bets for a TC were off.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:24 AM
In addition to the rarity of this year's edition with the 1st seven finishers of the Derby entered (plus another also ran) but also Master of Hounds participation is the 1st time since the 1990's that a foreign-invader ran in the Belmont.

How about success in the Belmont by position? (http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-stakes-history) Well it's worth noting that a 12th starter is exceedingly rare and as such no horse has ever won from that gate.

Post. #Wins.
1. 23
2. 11
3. 13
4. 9
5. 14
6. 7
7. 13
8. 5
9. 4
10. 2
11. 2
12. 0

Some comments from DRF's Dick Jerardi (http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-stakes-handicapping-animal-kingdom-adept-running-down-speed):

I do not think Shackleford was anything like a fluke winner of the Preakness. In fact, if you kept watching past the wire, you would have noticed that Animal Kingdom never did get past Shackleford.

After Shackleford went from first to fourth in the final few hundred yards of the Derby, it was assumed that the colt was a need-the-lead type who would never win a big race without an easy lead and moderate fractions.

Turned out Shackleford was not really collapsing in the Derby. He was actually going faster at the end of that race than he was at the end of the Preakness. His final quarter-mile in Kentucky was run in approximately 25.35 seconds. His final three-sixteenths in the Preakness went in 19.25. Take that out to a quarter-mile and it would be 25.60. And it’s likely it would have been more than that, as the colt was almost certainly decelerating.

Sounds promising for Shackleford, right? Well Jerardi likes Animal Kingdom:

My opinion is that Animal Kingdom is going to run really well. The Derby winner’s best likely will be good enough to win the race. I do not see the distance as an issue. I do not see the Triple Crown grind as an issue. Certainly, the trainer and jockey are proven on the big stage. The Derby winner will be favored.

Elly Mae II
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:46 AM
OK, it was discussed before the Derby that the inside post is not good for that race. But here the most winners have come from there. So what makes the difference? The size of the field? The length of the race? In just an ordinary race without the peculiarities of the TC races, is the inside good or bad?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 9, 2011, 12:12 PM
In fact, if you kept watching past the wire, you would have noticed that Animal Kingdom never did get past Shackleford.

I have never understood this line of reasoning. The race finishes at the line and jockeys stop riding and start pulling at that point. How you can determine who would have passed who had the race been longer from what they do while pulling up is a serious stretch at best.

findeight
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:13 PM
OK, it was discussed before the Derby that the inside post is not good for that race. But here the most winners have come from there. So what makes the difference? The size of the field? The length of the race? In just an ordinary race without the peculiarities of the TC races, is the inside good or bad?

It's a loooong run to the first turn so they can sort themselves out without having to dive in for position in front of a huge field and slam the door on the hopes of anything running on the inside that does not get off dead quick. And isn't Belmont a mile and a half oval and not just a 1 mile track???

But, IIRC, that 12 hole Shakleford got stuck with?????? Isn't that right smack on the outside rail in front of the grandstand and just feet from the SRO crowd on the rail??? Seem to recall a couple of real good colts get upset out there that close to so many noisy and active fans. May or may not be a factor but it is different from Churchill and Pimlico.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:02 PM
But, IIRC, that 12 hole Shakleford got stuck with?????? Isn't that right smack on the outside rail in front of the grandstand and just feet from the SRO crowd on the rail?

I suspect if a colt has dealt with the mega sized crowds at the Derby - the largest they'll ever see in their lives bar none - that a mere 60k at Belmont shouldn't have much impact.

In the Preakness he was sweating out like mad (temps/humidity? noise? anticipation? too much Guinness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcdDg30VBgo)?) however it had zero impact on his effort that I could see.

Temperatures should be mild on Saturday which is a plus as today racing was cancelled due to extreme heat (http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park-cancels-thursday-card-due-excessive-heat) at Belmont Park and the risks with racing in it

http://www.belmontstakes.com/

An interesting if not outright cool resource with every horse to ever run in the Belmont and where they finished, see

pdf Names of the 1,046 Belmont Starters (http://www.belmontstakes.com/UserFiles/file/11MG_BS_Runners.pdf)

Example - letter A horses that raced in the Belmont and finished 12th; 1971 - Adobe Ed, 1999 - Adonis, 1996 - Appealing Skier, 1993 - Arinthod.

Trivia: Only horse to ever be DQ'd from the Belmont Stakes? 2010's Uptowncharlybrown who crossed the line in 5th but was moved to last. The issue was that the jockey did not weight in at the correct weight. As I recall the partnership sued NYRA unsuccessfully to have his finish reinstated.

Non-US bred horses to win: Canada - Victory Gallop (1998); Ireland - Cavan (1958), Go and Go (1990); England - Saxon (1874), Bowling Brook (1898), Hourless (1917), Johren (1918), Gallant Man (1957), Celtic Ash (1960)

findeight
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:38 PM
I dunno GG, not the size of the crowd but the proximity of a part of it to the horses at that particular point in time. Alot of them don't like the infield saddling amongst the crowd at Pimlico either even if they normally are fine with big crowds and remained calm in that tiny paddock area at Churchill.

Take that to being last to load in the gate just a few feet in front of a vocal and excited crowd and knowing that bell is mere seconds away with all that adreneline?

Recall seeing more then one usually good in the gate have some issues out on that outside rail in this particular race.

Maybe it is part of why nobody has won it from there and maybe not. We can agree that it will not be a factor if it really is a great horse and not just a very good one.

But it is worth a thought or two when trying to bet the race. Me? I don't think he can get the distance but he is a dead game fighter and a fast horse so who knows.

I like Animal Kingdom as I liked both his finishes, don't think it took too much out of him and I bet he likes the distance. Probably box him with the #6 and/or maybe work the #1 into that somehow-kind of like that one.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
Equibase (pdf): free past performances for the Belmont Stakes (http://www.equibase.com/rotw/drf.pdf)

findeight
Jun. 10, 2011, 07:49 PM
Thank you GG, saves me the cost of the DRF tomorrow.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 11, 2011, 09:59 AM
A quick one-page 'bettor's guide': NYPost's Ed Fountain - 143 Belmont Stakes (http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/06/10/sports/web_photos/bettorsguide06102011.jpg)

Early wagering has Shackleford dismissed at double digits! Master of Hounds was down to around 5-1. It will be an interesting race. The Brooklyn Handicap at 1 1/2 mi Friday shows that a horse can go wire to wire.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 11, 2011, 12:40 PM
Just to reiterate TV coverage today with the track looking sloppy:

VERSUS: 3 – 5 p.m. Eastern – Live coverage from Belmont Park featuring the Grade 1 Foxwoods Just a Game, the Grade 2 True North Handicap presented by Emirates Airline, and the Grade 2 Woody Stephens presented by VisitNassauCounty.com

NBC Sports: 5 – 7 p.m. Eastern– Live coverage from Belmont Park featuring the Grade 1 Belmont Stakes and the Grade 1 Woodford Reserve Manhattan Handicap (http://equibase.com/static/entry/BEL061111USA-EQB.html#RACE10)

(The Woodford features among other Gio Ponti, Viscount Nelson, and Prince Will I Am)

VERSUS: 7 – 7:30 p.m. Eastern – Post-race Belmont Stakes coverage

Channel Listing

Comcast
NBC: HD – 232, SD – 4
VERSUS: HD – 206, SD – 43

Time Warner
NBC: HD – 704, SD – 4
VERSUS: HD – 481, SD – 122

Cablevision
NBC: HD & SD – 4
VERSUS: HD & SD – 146, 408, 719

Verizon FIOS
NBC: HD – 504, SD – 4
VERSUS: HD – 590, SD – 90

DirecTV
VERSUS: HD & SD – 603

Dish Network
VERSUS: HD & SD – 151

For those considering Master of Hounds and bank on trainer Aidan O'Brien how poorly has his record been in the States (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0611/1224298735531.html)? Poor. O'Brien hasn't won a classic outside of Ireland in three years. Further his training record is a drought laced 1-30 at Belmont.

Also what about just waiting to the last minute to wager on the post-time favorite? The last favorite to win was Afleet Alex in 2005.

Odds as of Noon Eastern Saturday June 11th

Belmont Stakes odds (as of noon Eastern)

1. Master of Hounds, 4-1
2. Stay Thirsty, 17-1
3. Ruler On Ice, 33-1
4. Santiva, 13-1
5. Brilliant Speed, 9-1
6. Nehro, 7-2
7. Monzon, 30-1
8. Prime Cut, 22-1
9. Animal Kingdom, 5-2
10. Mucho Macho Man, 7-1
11. Isn’t He Perfect, 34-1
12. Shackleford, 10-1

Glimmerglass
Jun. 11, 2011, 01:00 PM
With the off-track thus far closers (3 races completed) haven't been able to manage a thing. Horses close to the pace are the only ones with a shot. That doesn't bode well for a Master of Hounds, for example.

The New York Daily News compiled what each Belmont runner has done on a wet track - listed in post position order. (Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2011/06/11/2011-06-11_belmont_stakes_a_look_at_how_field_has_fared_ov er_wet_tracks_after_morning_rains.html#ixzz1OzGbq1 1K
)

1) Master of Hounds has never raced over a wet track from eight career starts.

2) Stay Thirsty finished second in his debut at Belmont over a track labeled good.

3) Ruler On Ice owns a win and a second place finish in two starts over wet tracks, breaking his maiden in the slop at Delaware in October.

4) Santiva finished third in his debut last summer at Saratoga over a strip labeled good.

5) Brilliant Speed has never run over a wet track in his nine race career.

6) Nehro never started over a wet track in his six-race career.

7) Monzon (http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/who-is-monzon/) broke his maiden at Laurel over a track labeled good.

8) Prime Cut has never started over a wet track from seven career starts.

9) Animal Kingdom has never started over a wet track from six career starts.

10) Mucho Macho Man is another who has never started over a wet track.

11) Isn't He Perfect finished third over a track labeled good and was fifth in the Jerome over a sloppy, sealed strip.

12) Shackleford has never raced over a wet track but worked well in the slop the week before the Derby.

For those wondering who Monzon is: He's, named after the Argentine middleweight boxing champion Carlos Monzón, drew the No. 7 post and will be ridden by Jose Lezcano. He has won three of his eight starts and finished sixth in his last race, the May 14 Peter Pan Stakes at Belmont Park. He will travel to New York early Saturday morning.

Monzon is owned by Kevin Plank, founder & CEO of Under Armour and owned of the former Vanderbilt stables in Maryland - Sagamore Farm

May 21, 2011: A Modern Sports Success Story Meets a Historic Racing Farm (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/22/sports/under-armour-founder-works-to-restore-sagamore-farm.html?_r=1)

findeight
Jun. 11, 2011, 02:29 PM
Hmmm, doesn't look like there is any way to make much money on this one unless there is a huge surprise...and I don't like Master of Hounds that much at 4-1.

But Shackleford at 10-1? Like that one better there ;), maybe use him in an exacta with one more likely but short on the odds for a decent payoff.

What's the longest shot to win this one in the last 20 years or so????

danceronice
Jun. 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
Wasn't Sarava (?) at 70-1?

Beverley
Jun. 11, 2011, 05:10 PM
Oh, my, that IS a sloppy track.

Just showing Penny Chenery who is looking good!

ThisTooShallPass
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:43 PM
Ruler on Ice! 24-1

Arrows Endure
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:45 PM
Wow, that was almost bad for Animal Kingdom! I sure hope he's ok after that. Ruler on Ice ran a nice race, and a REALLY HAPPY jockey right now. That win gave a few people a nice payday.

ThisTooShallPass
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:47 PM
Huh? What about the horse he stepped on? I would be far more worried for that horse. Monzon.

Arrows Endure
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:49 PM
He clipped heels from the look of it. The other horses hind feet knocked his front feet. I don't think he actually stepped on anyone. Honestly, I hope everyone came out of the race ok.

ThisTooShallPass
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:54 PM
NBC announcers said he stepped on Monzon. Guess we will find out what really happened as time goes on. :)

Glimmer, as always, thanks for a nice Thread.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:55 PM
Nice to see Ruler on Ice beat the Repole/Pletcher crew who kept him out of the Derby.
Karma's a biatch.

Flashy Gray VA
Jun. 11, 2011, 07:02 PM
^^^^ LOL. Where's the little evil laugh smilie when you need it?

Cool race and field overall, I enjoyed it thoroughly!

The immediate post-race interview with Valdiva was a total scream. Also interesting were Barry Irwin's pre-race comments about pointing AK toward the Arlington Million!

Glad that I've got my BC tix already as I'll be looking forward to seeing several of these horses in the Classic field.

regret
Jun. 11, 2011, 07:06 PM
Where could I catch a replay online?

Fairview Horse Center
Jun. 11, 2011, 07:30 PM
Where could I catch a replay online?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hrMqjXdchY

Pallas
Jun. 11, 2011, 08:19 PM
All we had to do was pay heed to Glimmer's post at 1 PM today, forwarding the NY Post's report on who did what in the slop. And then laugh, shrug, and put something down on the 23-1 gelding.

3) Ruler On Ice owns a win and a second place finish in two starts over wet tracks, breaking his maiden in the slop at Delaware in October.

Did I? I didn't.

findeight
Jun. 11, 2011, 08:30 PM
The push/clip was 3 strides out of the gate and nobody's fault...looked like the #10 MMM got pushed into AK by the #11 and the #8 drifted out and he got pinched between them pretty good ...and that happens as they come flying out of the gate. Master of Hounds was standing on his hind legs when the gate opened. They have plenty of footage from several angles.

AK, though fading to the back of the first group of finishers, still crossed the wire 15 lengths in front of the second group of horses including all 3 of these.

You know, sometimes you can look back at these and see you missed something obvious or kick yourself because you did want to use it but didn't. Not here.

Somehow a Maiden win at Delaware Park in slop last year and the dubious distinction of joining Mine That Bird in losing the Sunland Park Derby did not put him on my radar.

That's why they race them.

Lady Counselor
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
And unfortunately today Mr. Irwin is flapping his gums again about the horse that pinched over on AK.
While I feel bad for them that this happened, they also should realize that this is horse racing and things like that happen.
Calling the other contestants amatuers and blaming them for it all don't change the outcome. If it was that bad an impedance, then why didn't the rider complain to the stewards?
That man needs top learn the old credo of "Silence is golden". He keeps coming across like he has no class.

Beverley
Jun. 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
If it was that bad an impedance, then why didn't the rider complain to the stewards?

Actually, he did, according to the tv coverage. But not much to do when your fouled horse finishes ahead of the ones who might have fouled you.

But in any event, it wasn't an intentional foul, just 3 yos jostling leaving the gate. That's racing. I still like the heck out of Animal Kingdom and look forward to the rest of the year. It may be a mediocre lot but it does make for exciting races.

Paragon
Jun. 12, 2011, 09:21 PM
If Animal Kingdom had been able to run his race, I believe he would have won. But yeah, that's just racing. He ran a game race, and I look forward to seeing him again!

Gestalt
Jun. 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the link to the race FHC. Shackleford broke like a champ! Very impressive, I really like that guy and I think he has a great career in front of him.

Ruler on Ice ran a top notch race, not much in the looks department, but definitely got the win today. Animal Kingdom hasn't had much luck lately. It will be interesting to see how this crop fits into races this summer.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:11 PM
All we had to do was pay heed to Glimmer's post at 1 PM today, forwarding the NY Post's report on who did what in the slop. And then laugh, shrug, and put something down on the 23-1 gelding.

3) Ruler On Ice owns a win and a second place finish in two starts over wet tracks, breaking his maiden in the slop at Delaware in October.Did I? I didn't.

Nor did I for a win wager, but that was largely due to getting distracted with other races on the undercard.

I did have Stay Thirsty for place and Ruler On Ice for show so nice payouts.

This TC chase has just reinforced how poorly a job the racing press does with actually handicapping the race before making recommendations. Too many people - present company included - get caught in the trainer talk and lock into 2 favs and discount the rest. Not that it will ever change I suppose.

Bits and pieces:

As referenced by Paulickreport.com this photog posted two of the JV out of the saddle images after clipping heels - here is 1 (http://www.steeplestakes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC_0302-1024x665.jpg) and then just a frame later here is #2 of JV out on 'Animal''s neck (http://www.steeplestakes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC_0303.jpg). (Credit to steeplestakes.com for posting)

While it dashed the chances to win 2 of the 3 legs for AK, there isn't much hay to make out of it. Horses bump and clip, it happens, and there isn't much you can do about it from the break. Then again Alysheba clipped and came back (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhKpqZyx1JI") in the Derby and Afleet Alex in the Preakness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFzODoD7YY).

Did the lackluster promotion of the Belmont by NBC hurt their coverage? Not at all. They could've hyped up the fact that 8 runners from the Derby and more importantly the first seven finishers in a row. Not that having been in the Derby helped any of them this day. Most tv critics have praised NBC's coverage and I have to commend them on not focusing on who is drinking in the club house and what brand stilettos they are wearing.

The synthetic shoe segment and Donna showing the need for multiple goggles all give random viewers some better appreciation of what is involved.

Initial ratings results are good. (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/06/12/belmont-stakes-overnight-ratings-up-55/95364/)

BELMONT OVERNIGHT RATINGS UP 55%

NBC’s First Belmont Stakes Broadcast Since 2005 Earns 4.8 Overnight Rating and 11 Share

NEW YORK – June 12, 2011 – NBC Sports first broadcast of the Belmont Stakes since 2005, which was won by 24-1 long shot Ruler on Ice, registered a 4.8 overnight rating and an 11 share for the race portion, up 55 percent from last year’s race on ABC, according to overnight ratings data provided today by The Nielsen Company.

[This was the] first time the entire Triple Crown was broadcast on one network since 2005.

The race portion of the Belmont (6:15-7 p.m. ET) registered a 4.8/11 overnight rating, 55 percent higher than last year’s race portion on ABC (3.1/7 from 5:30-7 p.m. ET).

The rating is down just four percent from the Belmont in 2009 when jockey Calvin Borel attempted to make history by becoming the first jockey to win the Triple Crown on two different horses (Mine That Bird in the Kentucky Derby and Belmont and Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness).

The pre-race (5-6:15), bolstered by a two-hour Belmont Access show on VERSUS that preceded the NBC broadcast was up 86 percent over last year’s pre-race on ABC (2.6/6 vs. 1.4/3).

The 2.6 overnight rating for the pre-show was the best for that segment in a non-Triple Crown year since 2006.

BELMONT STAKES OVERNIGHT RATINGS SINCE 2006 (Race Portion):

2011, 4.8/11, NBC
2010, 3.1/7, ABC
2009, 5.0/12, ABC (Borel going for unprecedented jockey Triple Crown)
2008, 9.5/21, ABC (Triple Crown at stake – Big Brown)
2007, 3.5/8, ABC
2006, 3.8/9, ABC

Injuries? 4th place finisher Nehro "came out of the Triple Crown finale with an ankle chip that will require surgery, Ahmed Zayat said Sunday afternoon."

Glimmerglass
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:38 PM
As for the number of people in the seats for 2011: (http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park-ruler-ice%E2%80%99s-upset-sets-113-million-pick-six-carryover)

Attendance on a day with intermittent rain, overcast skies, and temperatures in the low 70's was 55,779, according to the track, the highest since 2008, when a Triple Crown was on the line.

Last year's Belmont, which did not feature either the Derby or Preakness winner, attracted 45,243. In 2009, 52,186 were in attendance.

InWhyCee Redux
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:00 PM
When in doubt, bet horses with alcohol-related names — e.g. Ruler on Ice (out of Champagne Glow) and Stay Thirsty ("Stay thirsty, my friends!" says the Dos Equis Man).

I should have learned this back when Lemon Drop Kid won at 29-1, but noooo... :no:

pnalley
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:28 PM
Did AK and the horse he clipped come out of the race unharmed? What about MMM? Did he keep all his shoes?

Glimmerglass
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:48 PM
Did AK and the horse he clipped come out of the race unharmed? What about MMM? Did he keep all his shoes?

Per reports both unharmed for the two aforementioned. Shoes remained on.

For some contrast listen to Tom Durkin and his 2011 call of the Belmont vs. Larry for NBC Sports ...

Video: Belmont stakes - Tom Durkin's call for the stadium and NYRA feed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AarU-we0FZQ)

As noted by one - Tom did not catch the near dismount of JV on Animal Kingdom which to Larry's credit was all over like a cheap suit in his call.

So was the Isn't He Perfect advance into Mucho Macho Man aggressive riding "payback" which then impacted Animal Kingdom? Racing Post June 13, 2011 "Velazquez blames fellow rider for Belmont bump" (http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/j-r-velazquez-r-maragh-usa-velazquez-blames-fellow-rider-for-belmont-bump/870385/latest/)

Velazquez has blamed Maragh for the initial incident, in which Maragh's mount, the rank outsider Isn't He Perfect, moved across from his stall and impeded the horses inside him, with Animal Kingdom the chief victim.

Animal Kingdom, who started from gate nine, was pinched at the gate as Mucho Macho Man also moved in.

The Belmont stewards will examine films of the incident on Wednesday but Velazquez suggested Maragh may have made a deliberate left-hand turn in order to impede Mucho Macho Man, who was in post ten, one inside Isn't He Perfect.

Maragh had been replaced by Ramon Dominguez on Mucho Macho Man, despite having ridden the horse to finish third in Kentucky.

"That's what I think,'' Velazquez said, quoted in the Daily Racing Form after a conference call with American reporters.

"That's why I was so frustrated," added the dual champion jockey. "Things happen in a race. If it would have happened right out of the gate I wouldn't have been so frustrated because things happen right from the start.

"But this happened three or four jumps after the start so that's why I was frustrated. It shouldn't happen. He should not be playing something like that in a race like this. It's stupidity and it shouldn't happen.''

grayarabs
Jun. 13, 2011, 05:23 PM
A fresh horse won the Belmont. Ruler On Ice a FuPeg grandson?

Horses that only ran in the Belmont:
Ruler On Ice, Monzon and Prime Cut

Horse that only ran the Preakness and Belmont:
Isn't He Perfect

Horses that only ran the Derby and Belmont:
Stay Thirsty, Brilliant Speed, Nehro, Santiva, Master of Hounds.

Horses that ran Derby, Preakness and Belmont:
Shackleford, Animal Kingdom, Mucho Macho Man.

The latter three finishing 5,6,7 in the B.
Finishers 2,3,4 skipped the Preakness.
The winner "skipped" the Derby and the Preakness.

If my research is correct. It always seems unfair to me when a fresh horse wins the Belmont. FWIW.

CVPeg
Jun. 13, 2011, 06:43 PM
A fresh horse won the Belmont. It always seems unfair to me when a fresh horse wins the Belmont. FWIW.

I miss that kind of incentive. The Triple Crown is so difficult to accomplish. I think there should be some kind of additional incentive for showing up and/or placing well in all three races. Believe it also creates greater public interest.

grayarabs
Jun. 13, 2011, 10:09 PM
I know that the B is a separate race and a TC winner should beat "all comers" - but that takes a heck of a horse. To me when the winner of the B did not run in the D or the P - I am not that impressed with the win. Perhaps that is the wrong way of putting it - dunno - the B win seems a bit tarnished. The order of finish would most likely have been completely different had ROI run in the other two. As always I wonder what horses would have won had all the horses run in all three of the races. I think Shackleford, Animal Kingdom and Mucho Macho Man ran with gutsy effort. All things considered they did not place too badly - for which I admire them

Glimmerglass
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
From today's official review by the stewards of Saturday's Belmont Stakes: Maragh gets 10 day suspension for Belmont Stakes ride (http://blog.timesunion.com/horseracing/maragh-gets-10-days-for-belmont-stakes-ride/7407/)

Jockey Rajiv Maragh has been suspended 10 days for his ride in the Belmont Stakes aboard Isn’t He Perfect.

The stewards who judged last Saturday’s Belmont viewed replays of the race on Wednesday and decided to issue the suspension for careless riding. The penalty will be reduced to a 7-day suspension if Maragh opts not to appeal the penalty to the three-member New York State Racing and Wagering Board.

The incident happened shortly after the horses broke out of the gate at Belmont. Maragh’s mount bore to the left after the start and crashed into Mucho Macho Man, a horse Maragh had ridden in his four previous starts, including the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

Mucho Macho Man then was forced over into the path of the Belmont favorite, Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom. The two horses clipped heels and John Velazquez, Animal Kingdom’s jockey, nearly fell off the horse. After that incident, the race was basically over for Animal Kingdom, who wound up finishing sixth.

Isn’t He Perfect finished last in the 12-horse field.

cloudyandcallie
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
I cannot speak to his conditioning, but you have to think the distance is fairly black and white. If the connections thought he would be on fumes after 1 1/4-mi then they should/would have passed. At least that's my logical view.

http://www.drf.com/news/shackleford

And you were right. I wish they'd condition here as they do in England, but then we don't have the moors to gallop on. I'm going to track down Cubbedge in Savannah. Last good horse race owner we had was Alan Paulson who had a nice little colt.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:34 AM
Did AK and the horse he clipped come out of the race unharmed?

I initially said AK wasn't harmed - no reports to the contrary existed initially - but as has been widely reported in the last 24-hours: Animal Kingdom has injured leg, will miss some training (http://www.drf.com/news/animal-kingdom-has-injured-leg-will-miss-some-training)

Animal Kingdom has what veterinarians describe as a fissure, or small crack, on the tip of the cannon bone where it joins the lower part of the hock. It is believed that the injury occurred when Animal Kingdom stumbled in the early stages of the Belmont Stakes when a horse came over on him and then Animal Kingdom clipped heels with another horse in front of him.

The recommended plan of action, according to Dr. Larry Bramlage of the Rood and Riddle Equine Clinic in Lexington, Ky., is that Animal Kingdom be taken out of training for two weeks before having the leg X-rayed again.

"The good news is that this should not cost him the entire season," Bramlage added. "I would hope that he would be able to return to training in a matter of weeks."