PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP Finding New Barn- Parents moving to Boston MA

RollingInTheDeep
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:17 AM
My family is moving to Boston this fall and we're trying to find a barn to move to. I'm from the West Coast and besides finals & florida I haven't been on the East Coast enough to really have a good sense of the barns there. I have a jr jumper, an eq horse and two junior hunters, although one is for sale [edit] so hopefully by fall I will just have one.
Requirements for barn:
Must be within 90-120 mins from Boston (downtown)
Must have a full-service or full-care option/requirement (time concerns as I only ride 3-4x a week when not showing)
Must show, florida
My mom has to be able to lesson occasionally
Must have other juniors

My trainer out here has (obviously) made recommendations but I just want to see what people from that area have to say! Thanks!!

findeight
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:43 AM
You can try searching for Boston Area barns but IMO, your best bet is to pull up your post, go down to the right hand corner and hit edit, then select advanced and go to the title bar above the message adding Indoors and Florida to your title.

That should filter the recommendations you get for smaller operations that would probably love to have you but not really have the business structured to give you what you need or, in some cases, lack experience on that level.

I do usually recommend 2 very good places but, honestly??? You'd be one of only a few clients going, maybe the only Junior, and it might be for 2 or 3 weeks, not the circuit. Not their specialty.

Does your current trainer have any ideas??? Usually the best way to go.

M. Owen
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:28 AM
I think Grazing Fields would be most likely to meet all of the criteria stated in your original post. Another option would be Riverwind. Both farms have websites that will provide a lot of information. Both of these farms are south of Boston.

While there are many other quality facilities many of them don't spend the full season in Florida, or may not have a lot of other juniors. I think these two offer pretty much everything you have requested.

slavegirl
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:28 PM
Belle Equestrian, (Shachine Belle) is at Heritage in East Greenwich, RI 1 hour south of Boston.

Rafiki
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:00 PM
Grazing Fields, Holly Hill, David Oliynyk Show Stables, Winter Street. Don't know if Riverwind offers full care but if they do, add them to the list.

Rhody Ram
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:08 PM
Definitely check out:
River Wind in Pembroke- 30 min south of boston
Stoneymeade in Concord (tons of juniors) 30 min west of boston

then there's Holly Hill (3 locations) and Grazing Fields (cape)

I highly recommend Shachine if you don't mind the drive. You will definitely get tons of personal attention as she runs a smaller operation.

anthem35
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:42 PM
Highly recommend Jennifer Hannan, Ocean Echo Farm.
Gorgeous facility with massive turnout.
TOP NOTCH FULL CARE. Laundry, tack cleaning, clipping, EVERYTHING.
HUGE outdoor/indoor/hunt field
Amazing training, best lesson program ever.
Show schedule 2011: Kentucky, Ox Ridge, Tryon, Hampton Classic, Maclay, WEF
Very private, no barn drama.

moonriverfarm
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
My friend who bought a very nice hunter mare from me boards at Grazing Fields and does the Florida circuit.

quietann
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:38 PM
Others know the barn scene here better than I do, but one thing you should do before you settle on a barn is be sure you know where *you* will be living. E.g. if you lived in Andover (where I am, 25 miles north of Boston), the trip to Rhode Island would be a killer, but if you were in the southwest 'burbs, that would be a good choice. The Boston Metro area is huge, there's traffic everywhere, etc.

oops, just saw... you will be living in Downtown Boston? Or going to school there??? Rhode Island should be doable although the traffic at rush hour is a killer. That or South Shore, maybe Concord and other places to the west...

JumpinBean17
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:16 PM
Absolutely recommend Kristen Bumpus (Winter Street) at Arrowhead Farm in Concord, Grazing Fields or Holly Hill!

up-at-5
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:14 PM
I can't help with your questions, but thanks for putting that Adele song in my head!;);)

juststartingout
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:44 PM
Kristy McCormack just moved to the Boston area... Millis, about 45 minutes west of Boston... Would defintely have her on the list.

Jaideux
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:29 AM
http://www.senatorbellfarm.com/

I know a person who boards here, and she spent her youth (heck, even med school!) doing Florida. I'm not sure if she did Florida with this barn, or if she met up with her trainer from her Jr years down there, or what other show stuff they have, but knowing this girl I can vouch for excellent care, etc, that is the AA standard.

And, there seems to be quite a few jrs there, currently.

Hinderella
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:16 PM
This may be just within your distance circle. I have made the drive from my home near this barn to the Vetrinary hospital at Tufts, just outside Boston, in under 2 hrs.

The facility is newly built and beautiful, and I believe they can accomodate your needs. I know they have at least one other client from the Boston area. As someone else said, the distance and travel time will depend on exactly where you will be living.

http://beaconwoodsstables.com/index.html

Sonoma City
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:26 PM
Shining Valley Farm in Medfield, MA could be an option. I boarded there years ago and it's a top notch facility (the heated barn/indoor in the winter is great!). I know they go to Florida too. I haven't kept up to date on their current program, but it's worth looking into!

touchstone-
Jun. 10, 2011, 12:59 PM
http://www.senatorbellfarm.com/

I know a person who boards here, and she spent her youth (heck, even med school!) doing Florida. I'm not sure if she did Florida with this barn, or if she met up with her trainer from her Jr years down there, or what other show stuff they have, but knowing this girl I can vouch for excellent care, etc, that is the AA standard.

And, there seems to be quite a few jrs there, currently.

Senator Bell is a great place and not a bad drive from Boston, but they do not offer full care and do not go to FL, so probably wouldn't suit the OP.

If by FL, you mean WEF, Grazing Fields is wonderful--great training and a lovely facility with lots of grass turnout for the horses. Most of the other names being mentioned go to Ocala.

starhorse
Jun. 10, 2011, 08:24 PM
I've heard awesome things about Kristen Bumpus, as well. A friend of mine has been riding with her for years and loves her.

RolyPolyPony
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:46 PM
I stopped riding there before Kristin arrived, but the barn at Arrowhead is lovely! If you end up there, say hi to Snapple the Appy for me! ;)

It may be a bit far for you, but also check out Newbury Farm in Littleton - http://www.newburyfarm.org/index.html Cory Hardy is FANTASTIC.

wanderlust
Jun. 11, 2011, 11:31 AM
It may be a bit far for you, but also check out Newbury Farm in Littleton - http://www.newburyfarm.org/index.html Cory Hardy is FANTASTIC. It's actually not all that far... ~50 minutes from downtown Boston during non-rush hour. A friend used to ride there when we were kids and it was Stepping Out Farm- it was a lovely facility (yep, I sure dated myself there).

As for Touchstone's comment about everyone mentioned going to Ocala, that isn't the case. Newbury Farm and Holly Hill both go to WEF and spend many weeks down there.

slainte!
Jun. 11, 2011, 04:25 PM
New England show barns that come to WEF off the top of my head are - Holly Hill, Oliynyk Show Stables, Grazing Fields, and Ocean Echo Farm. The other places are wonderful and I'm sure if you do decide to board with one of them - would gladly set you up with a situation for WEF. Good luck on your move to the East Coast!

imissvixen
Jun. 11, 2011, 05:03 PM
Check out Kate Rice: http://www.onyvashowstables.com/index.html

She is located in Dover which is about 30 minutes from downtown under normal traffic conditions via the MA Pike. Stonehenge has a huge indoor and large outdoor with excellent footing in both as it was the home base for Karen Styves, an Olympic eventer.

I live in the city also and wouldn't in a million years ever think of keeping my horses on the Cape unless you are more interested in driving than riding. Even though my drive is about 18 miles and normally 30 minutes, in traffic, it can extend much longer. Try to stay inside 495 for sure.

kkmggn
Jun. 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
you could go to Greg Prince. he has a bunch of juniors a few of them live in boston and he goes to florida and has full service.

woodridge-farm.com

Atlas Shrugged
Jun. 11, 2011, 11:12 PM
If you want to be with a fun crowd I would say Stoneymeade in Concord would be my first choice. Grazing Fields Farm in Bourndale (Near Cape Cod) is good too. Both are great jr eq, hunter, and jumper show barns.

imissvixen
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:14 AM
Woodridge Farm is a wonderful location. I boarded at an eventing barn very close to there last year. The hacking there is great and you can take the mass pike to Framingham which is one town north.

ponymom64
Jun. 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
Belle Equestrian, (Shachine Belle) is at Heritage in East Greenwich, RI 1 hour south of Boston.

I honestly don't know about the drive, but Shachine helped us yesterday at a show as our trainer was not available and she is lovely.