PDA

View Full Version : Trainer loses license

Bacchus
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:27 AM
This makes me very happy: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63446/iowa-trainers-license-revoked-by-stewards

“The board of stewards find, based upon a preponderance of the evidence, owner/trainer Joseph Nealon violated Iowa rules of racing 491 IAC 6.5(3)”I” conduct in Iowa or elsewhere has been dishonest, undesirable, detrimental to, or reflects negatively on, the integrity or best interests of racing and gaming; 491 IAC 6.5(3)”Q” subjecting an animal to cruel and inhumane treatment by failing to supply it with adequate food, water, medical treatment, exercise, bedding, sanitation, and shelter; or by neglect or intentional act causing an animal to suffer unnecessary pain; 491 IAC 10.5(1) Trainer responsibility ”a” (7) the proper identity, custody, care, health, condition, and safety of horses in the trainer’s charge and 491 IAC 10.5(1)”A” (22) ensuring the fitness of a horse to perform creditably at the distance entered.

Basically, the trainer had a horrible record and the horse in question was exhausted and unfit to race -- twice. I wish more jurisdictions would follow suit.

jolise
Jun. 9, 2011, 12:12 AM
That poor mare. I wonder what has become of her.?

Lord Helpus
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:22 AM
Almost any horse should be able to canter 3/10ths of a mile if it has received food and water, even if it is not fit. This poor horse must have been starved in addition to not having been trained.

I wish the stewards had revoked his owner's license, too. The man is not fit to be around horses at all.

Eventer13
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:56 AM
I read this article and was wondering a few things. First, was the trainer also the owner or did he actually have someone send him a horse to train (and if so, WHY?? His record is terrible). Secondly, if he is the owner, why would he pay to keep a horse and then run it unfit, when it clearly had NO chance of bringing back any money? Just from a financial side this makes no sense to me.

Poor horse, I hope he ends up in a good situation.

Toadie's mom
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:21 PM
I read this article and was wondering a few things. First, was the trainer also the owner or did he actually have someone send him a horse to train (and if so, WHY?? His record is terrible). Secondly, if he is the owner, why would he pay to keep a horse and then run it unfit, when it clearly had NO chance of bringing back any money? Just from a financial side this makes no sense to me.

Poor horse, I hope he ends up in a good situation.
The 1st sentence of the 2nd paragraph of the article- "The steward's ruling came after the Nealon-owned and trained Boty's Banana was eased at the 3/8ths pole.....etc."