PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about the new 'ceramic' craze...

ForTheLoveOfHorse
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:19 AM
The big 'in' thing right now are products (I believe Back on Track is the primary manufacturer) with 'ceramic'. All kinds of raving reviews on those, with standing wraps, hock wraps, gloves (for arthritic hands), and lots more.

Anyone have personal experience? They're fairly expensive. Worth the money?

How about some pros and cons?

Thanks so much.

Release First
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:35 AM
I used one on my own knee and was not impressed. It was supposed to feel warm and did not.

mrsbradbury
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:22 AM
Generally I am not impressed with those type of products. However, I can tell you that the Back on track pad (the 1/4 sheet size) works.

The horses love wearing it, they get droopy lip and yawm, yawn stretch. We move it around the barn and let them wear it for an hour or so in the stalls.

It was brought in for a horse who sustained an injury to it's right side longus dorismus (sp?), a long time ago, it healed poorly, was a mess of cords and spasms. It's owner did all kinds of massage/ acupuncture/ vet all with mediocre results. I was floored when this pad made a world of difference. He is almost off his meds, and has shown no "cold-back" symptomolgy since using it.

Don't ask me why, but I'm sold.

Does the manufacturer have a demo?

JTA: I didn't think the pad was overly expensive, I believe the owner paid less than $80 for it.

WW_Queen
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:41 PM
Love my BOT products! I have the no bows, mesh sheet and recently the polos. Regular use has loosened his back and (IMO) sped the healing of his suspensory injury.

What I like about them is the increased circulation without the heat. I can't explain it, they just seem to help smooth minor aches and pains over. :)

I have heard pets (cats and dogs ESP.) gravitate to any BOT product left on the ground and sleep on it, over any other bed/blanket/mattress that may be around. :D

faraway46
Jun. 8, 2011, 07:30 PM
I have the mesh sheet, two full sets of quick wraps (for stabling and also good for trailering), hock wraps and the therapeutic horse back pad (which is very versatile since you can use it under your regular stable sheet, as a saddle pad and a quarter sheet!).
I have found horses warm up easier when I have them wear the mesh sheet an hour before riding. Also, I ride in the therapeutic pad and my horses don't start with a cold back anymore (even in winter)! They are much more supple and flexible. The mesh sheet helps them recover after strenous exercise and I use it between my first round and jump offs. They get into the ring fresh again.
The quick wraps are not only easy to use and save time, but also keep your horses super protected and safe (because of the great padding and neoprene cover). When I take the wraps off, my horses' legs are so warm they are a bit sweaty where the tendons are! They have kept my horses legs super tight. The only glitch I could find is after using them for every day since Nov last year, they have gone unsewn in one or two places, but nothing major...
I am planning to buy two stable sheets for both of my horses and the knee wraps, too.
If you can only buy one product or two, I would go for the Therapeutic pad because you can use it with different sized horses and is a sheet/quarter sheet/saddle pad at the same time.
Also, the pillow wraps will have the same effect as the other wraps, only that you will use your own polos over them.

i would surely recommend their products!

Ponyclubrocks
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:11 PM
My vet recommended the quilts for leg wrapping after my mare suffered a bowed tendon. They do wrap beautifully and I don't know if the wraps should get the credit but after 14 months of rehab she is fully back and very sound. They were expensive and while they can be machine washed DO NOT put them in the dryer as that destroys the ceramic threads.

Slow Motion
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:17 PM
I have BOT no bows. They work wonders on wind puffs.

JustABay
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:43 PM
I have the BOT sheet and the polos. I have started using the sheet for an hour before I ride and my guy seems very happy in it! He gets the droopy lip and usually falls asleep wearing it. The polos I usually use only if he's stocked up (or has a nice puncture wound on his hind leg, making the leg look like a stovepipe :rolleyes: )

I can feel the warmth radiating out of the sheet when it's on him, and after I take it off, his back is toasty warm :) I wish they made people blankets though! :lol:

Starda01
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:53 PM
I have the mesh sheet and the therapeutic quick wraps for the horse, and like them a lot. They really do seem to generate heat, and therefore more circulation. I like the flexibility of the mesh blanket for our climate. I can combine the mesh blanket with a heavier one for those few really cold nights. Otherwise, the mesh blanket is enough. The wraps work very well for shipping, as well as standing wraps. They produce enough heat that my horse's legs are damp when I take them off. I would be careful about using them in the summer heat.

I have a back brace for myself, and I like it. I tend to stiffen up if sit for very long, and I do find it helps.

tamarak_equestrian
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:20 PM
I have the BOT quick wraps and I saw a difference in my guy. I hadn't seen him feeling that good in a long time.

BAC
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:25 PM
I can feel the warmth radiating out of the sheet when it's on him, and after I take it off, his back is toasty warm :) I wish they made people blankets though! :lol:

They do, BOT makes a whole line of people products, blankets, t-shirts, etc. Check out their website to see all of their products.

McVillesMom
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:20 PM
I started with the quick wraps last year when my gelding was healing from a tendon sheath injury. They did seem to help reduce edema, and since he was on stall rest he tended to stock up a LOT! I then got the back pad, which I did not find as versatile as some of the other posters did (really wanted a regular quarter sheet, and couldn't make the back pad work for me. It's currently sitting in the horse closet). Ended up getting not only the quarter sheet but the mesh sheet, and I do feel like my horse is more comfortable and warms up more quickly when I use them.

I got the socks for myself in the hope that they would help my plantar fasciitis, and they do! I no longer hobble when I get up in the morning (unless I've been particularly bad to my feet the day before, LOL) and on the plus side, they keep my feet warm at night (I always got cold toes at night, even with fleece socks on!) I recently purchased the neck wrap for myself as well.

Do they do more than just a plain fleece sheet or regular wraps would? It's hard to say, but I've been happy with the products that I've used.

fordtraktor
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:12 AM
They sound great for winter, but in this blistering heat aren't they just too hot? I can't imagine putting something on my horse designed to make him warmer when it is 90 degrees out already...I don't think he would be very grateful!

kinnip
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:21 AM
I won a saddle pad some time ago. The first thing I did was wrap myself in it to see if it warmed up, and it did. The horses love it. I worried about using it in the summer time too, but they still seem to prefer it to the other pads. It definitely gets a good sweat going. I got a free knee brace from a local tack shop a while after that (I may be biased here. I love the freebies!!!). It definitely seems to help, but it's a little too loose on me, so not good for heavy work. I do wear it at home after work some days and it takes a lot of the swelling out. I don't know if that's just the result of the pressure, or the ceramic.

oldenmare
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:42 AM
I broke my right wrist (with tendon damage) about 3 years ago and it has ached on and off ever since. I've tried everything on the market - special braces, magnets, creams, prescriptions, etc - nothing has worked.

Last fall, I bought a simple wrist wrap from BOT. I put it on whenever I feel the wrist start to twinge and voila! No pain.

I carry it with me all the time - once in a while have forgotten it and gone home with an THROBBING wrist - put it on and in about 15 minutes, pain is gone.

So - will be getting products for the horses as I'm completely sold.

joiedevie99
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:47 AM
Not all that new- but definitely useful products. I stared with a set of wraps for my senior citizen who had lymphangitis. Vet recommended them to bring down the residual inflammation- which they did. I've since gotten my senior a mesh sheet to wear at night. It seems to help with some suspected arthritis in her spine, as well as her SI issues.

My dressage horse has a full set of wraps, a mesh sheet, and a neck cover. He wears it overnight a good portion of the time- and 24/7 at shows. It really helps him warm-up faster, which cuts down the wear and tear on his legs.

Seal Harbor
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:54 AM
I have a BOT cooler/stable sheet and my horse wears that for half an hour or so prior to being ridden and after he is done. He loves it and gets a little angry when it has to come off.

I broke my back ages ago and it hurts a lot, I bought a BOT long sleeved t-shirt for me and I sleep in that, it makes a difference, I am less stiff in the morning.

MyssMyst
Jun. 9, 2011, 12:04 PM
I am going to get myself some of the socks for when my cast comes off. Maybe it'll help with the aching from all the torn ligaments. Thanks for the tip!

CuteArabHunter
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:26 PM
I've never even heard of this stuff!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused: Can someone please explain exactly what it is/does? Please?:yes:

MIKES MCS
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:51 PM
Track people have been using these products for YEARS!!! I always have to chuckle when the rest of the horsey and human world catch up. I remember my first experience with ulta sound theraphy was in the early 70's , it wasn't til the 90's before I heard of applied for human therapy. I really like the BOT products , just don't put them in the dryer or use harsh detergents with them.

DMK
Jun. 9, 2011, 04:17 PM
LOL, well they aren't exactly "new" to the show world either. I've had some of my BoT stuff for 4-5 years and I was late to the game.