View Full Version : First time at the Belmont Stakes, advice and tips please.

Jun. 8, 2011, 12:05 AM
I'm finally getting to see the Belmont in person but I've never been to the track on such a big race day. Aside from bringing my patience for crowds and getting my bets in early what do I need to know before I go? How early should I arrive, where's the best place to park, and what should I make sure to eat, drink and see (aside from the race)? Thanks!

Jun. 8, 2011, 09:25 AM
VERY comfortable shoes, a water bottle just for the trip from the car to the grandstands and one for the way back, a rolled up rain jacket you can tuck away, and plenty of cash so you don't have to stand in line at the ATM. Last time we parked in general parking on the opposite side of the track, and rather than wait for the school bus shuttle, we walked around the outside of the mile and a half track. But at the end of the day we took the shuttle back, and it was a long drive, and hot.

My most "stimulating" memory of Belmont was in the days before ATMs - I didn't bring enough cash with me - went to the window where you could get cash with a credit card, and a knife fight broke out behind me. Hoards of us ran from the windows. I went back a few minutes later to retrieve my cash and credit card!:eek:

InWhyCee Redux
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:50 PM
Assuming you're a lady, dress cute! A sundress and hat will bring compliments, betting tips from degenerate gamblers, and possibly free drinks at the Clubhouse Bar. (And you definitely want to pay extra to get into the Clubhouse, even if you don't have seats.)

The railbirds hanging out down by the track apron have much better tips than the track program does.

Don't even think about placing a bet 15 minutes before the Belmont post. Ditto getting down to the saddling area.

Bring a bottle of water. Ice cream is always a safe bet food wise, hot dogs are not.