PDA

View Full Version : New to racing.... Any advice???

ExcelEventing
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:27 PM
Hi Everyone!
I am a long-time horse person, mostly 3 day eventing. I own my own barn, am a trainer, and a very experienced competitor. My mother just purchased a 2 year old TB colt. It has always been a 'dream' of hers to have a racehorse.
I am just looking for general pointers, or advice as we are total newbies to the racing world. Any advice from supplements, to daily care, vet care, owner tips (what should and shouldnt we do!!)

Here is some info about our situation:
- 2 YO grey colt, by Storm and a half (by Storm Cat), out of Adjudicate Sara, by El Prado (IRE).
- The colt has been started, but not raced.
- We had full x rays done, and there were no issues, his throat was scoped, also no issues.
- We have pulled him from race training and turned him out until around November to let him grow up. The goal is to race him in late spring, as a 3 year old.
-He is staying with his former owners/breeders for his race training.
- When he is done racing, the goal is to re-train him as a 3 day eventer ( I have done this countless time with OTTBs,)
- He will have a home with us for the rest of his life, regardless of his race record.
- Our goal is to have fun, and finish his career with a happy, sound horse.
- We are very realistic, and going into this expecting to lose any $ that we put in!
Hopefully I havent left any important information out!
Thanks in advance.....
Kristy

Laurierace
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:49 PM
Main advice is to cut him as soon as you can. Probably September or so when the flies die down a little bit. Best of luck to you, he is a lucky boy.

Lamb Chop
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:05 AM
He is indeed a lucky colt.

As you probably know, his sire was unraced and his dam trailed the field in her two races. I love the idea of turning him out and letting him mature. Having a race horse is quite a thrill (in addition to being very expensive), and I wish you all the best success!

keepthelegend
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:18 AM
Good luck! He isn't well bred, but you never know with horses where a good one will come from! He is bred for the turf so you may want to try him on grass. He is a lucky horse to have such caring owners and I hope he wins some races for you!

ExcelEventing
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:15 PM
I am kind of hoping he does one race, comes in 30 lengths back, and I get to take him home and start riding him :D
He sure is a sweet boy!
Why do you suggest we geld him now? Just curious...... Does it effect their racing ability at all to be gelded or not? He will definitly be gelded before he comes 'home' to us. He is an easy going horse, and not hard to handle, if that changes, he'll get cut right away!!!
I have heard from several people that he is a 'turf horse'. What is it about his bloodline that makes you think that? That works well for me!!! I want him to be a cross country horse, so if he likes turf that makes my life easier!!

Thanks again!!!

keepthelegend
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:50 PM
El Prado ran on the turf and his whole family is turf. The majority of his good offspring have won their stakes on turf (with some notable exceptions!). Storm Cats also like the turf so that does nothing to cancel out the grass propensity. The thought is a big flat foot and a flat kneed mover also can signal a turf horse so maybe that will give you a clue.

Gelding just makes everything so much easier and will make your life with him after SOOO much easier! I have several late gelded horses and they still mount mares in the field, attack other geldings and are generally studish and have to be kept alone. It won't affect his racing ability in a negative way and can only help him - sometimes those big balls get in the way!

Dahoss
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:53 PM
- We have pulled him from race training and turned him out until around November to let him grow up. The goal is to race him in late spring, as a 3 year old.

Now you are thinking better then most. Smart move. I've never started a two year old in my life and I dont recall my father ever doing so either. Good luck

Laurierace
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:42 PM
I am kind of hoping he does one race, comes in 30 lengths back, and I get to take him home and start riding him :D
He sure is a sweet boy!
Why do you suggest we geld him now? Just curious...... Does it effect their racing ability at all to be gelded or not? He will definitly be gelded before he comes 'home' to us. He is an easy going horse, and not hard to handle, if that changes, he'll get cut right away!!!
I have heard from several people that he is a 'turf horse'. What is it about his bloodline that makes you think that? That works well for me!!! I want him to be a cross country horse, so if he likes turf that makes my life easier!!

Thanks again!!!

I think the testicle worthiness should have stopped at least one generation back in his family. If he wins the breeder's cup he still won't be worth standing at stud, so cut them off and make both your lives easier.

mintano
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:56 PM
If I'm being honest. If your mom really wants to get into the racing game. Sell the 2yo, find someone knowleadgable and claim something cheap that knows how to run and win. Most of the time, maidens are more trouble than they're worth, especially if you're new to the game.

Know an owner who has had 3 horses, 2 he bred and raised, his stables record, 0 for 20 and earnings of less than $5k, his first start as an owner was in 2009. It's been very painful for him. Would have been better off starting with something he knew could win a race.

ExcelEventing
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:03 PM
Well, my mother really fell in love with this particular horse, she's been stalking him for almost a year and just finally bought him! She just really wants to have a little bit of fun, and sit in the owners box once or twice! If he makes any $, great, but if not, no big deal. She's going into it expecting to lose all of her money that she puts in. This is on her 'bucket list', as she says :lol:

I just want to try and figure out how to not be a total obvious novice when we go to the track!! Its all such a new world to me!!

Laurierace
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:10 PM
Do you have a trainer that you trust? I imagine they will guide you so you don't look like a newbie.

ExcelEventing
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:14 PM
Yes, we really like the trainer. He is the one that bred and raised the horse and we are just going to leave the colt with him. I am from TX but I know alot of people in the North LA area, including a very reputable vet. They all said that the trainer is a good one, kind to the horses, and honest......

Laurierace
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:19 PM
That's good to hear. You should be ok then since your expectations are so low and you are just in it for fun. Best of luck to you!

gumtree
Jul. 19, 2011, 02:36 PM
Storm and Half is a very good regional sire down your way. Several I have seen have the Northern Dancer stamp. I had one by default, came to us as a short yearling and the owner walked away from his bills on this guy and others we had for him. Turned out to be a VERY good looking 2 year old. Was a pleasure to break and train. As we do with all of our 2 year olds we schooled him over a couple of fences. Took to it like a fish to water from the very first time. Would jump around the ring like he had a metronome in his head. I pulled him out of the stall to show a fellow jumps trainer (steeplechase). Called me a couple of days latter and asked if I would sell him. Hard for me to do when they are that natural but he is a good friend and I got $25K and will race over jumps next year. Personally I don’t believe in cutting a colt as a matter of course, especially when they are young. Unless they are very coltish and it distracts them from lessons or are hard to handle and manage. I firmly believe the package is necessary for the physical development. Contrary to popular believe most do not get thick and cresty through their neck. And they are not unmanageable as a rule. To each his own on this one. I will look at any Storm and Half that should come my way they seem to have good minds and I have been told the same by others that have worked his get.
Storm and Half stands in Arkansas which has a pretty good state bred program so check and see if he is registered with the Arkansas breeders if not see if he can be. Storm and Half leads all other Arkansas based stallions by many $$$$$. And his progeny seem to win most if not all of the Ark bred restricted races and stakes.
IMO it is fine to give him some time off especially if he came out of a 2 year old sale. 60 plus days but by all means you should keep him in training even if he is not going to race at 2. You don’t not need to pounded on him but it is very important for a young horses bone development. And I am a firm believer that is very necessary to put some speed work in their weekly program once they are fit. The old school mentality of all horse buck shins so buck them good is total nonsense and is backed up by sound research.
Feel free to get on to me if you have any questions or concerns

ExcelEventing
Jul. 19, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the info!
He does seem to have a very good brain, so we are happy about that!
He has been pulled out of formal race training until the fall, but he is still being ridden once or twice a week lightly to keep his mind in the game, so to speak!

Bacchus
Jul. 19, 2011, 04:09 PM
Didn't have time to read all posts, but if I see a horse racing for the first time after being cut, I bet it. Usually wins;)

foundationmare
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:45 PM
Sounds to me like you have your ducks in a row and quacking in unison. Best of luck with your guy: may he give you many happy days on the track!