PDA

View Full Version : How far do you drive to ride your horse?

alex21
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:48 PM
I'm in the Service and being shuffled around the US as most Service men and women are at times. My new home looks like it may be a longer distance from a decent barn than I am used to. A little over an hour to get to a hunter/jumper barn. Anyone else struggle with this? I don't mind driving I just need to share in my frustrations.
:mad:

musicinmotion101
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:52 PM
I drive about 45 each way on a good day to where I ride. I-85 in 5:00 traffic on fridays can take me up to an hour and a half. But on good days and traffic moving and driving a wee bit over the speed limit I can make it in 45. The main thing that sucks is gas right now.

ChafedToBits
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:53 PM
I drive an hour and a half each way to ride my horse now. It is a bit frustrating as I generally get out on the weekends and gas has sky rocketed in the last month.

I am thinking that I can't keep it up forever but my horse seems happy so, that makes it worth it in my mind.

Good luck; hang in there. :)

katie+tru
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:58 PM
Something like 31 or 32 miles, 45 minutes each way.

alex21
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:06 PM
I drive an hour and a half each way to ride my horse now. It is a bit frustrating as I generally get out on the weekends and gas has sky rocketed in the last month.

I am thinking that I can't keep it up forever but my horse seems happy so, that makes it worth it in my mind.

Good luck; hang in there. :)

That makes me feel better, some of the really nice places are 1.5 hours away. Do you show and have a trainer ride your horse during the week?

JustABay
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:10 PM
I'm about half an hour each way...But the care at my new place is so good, I'd drive an hour or more without complaint! :) I also go up at least 4-5 days per week.

pm59
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:18 PM
56 MILES each way with 2 kids in the car can u tell i love my barn????

Frivian
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:20 PM
When I was on the east coast I drove up to an hour to get to my barn. When I moved to Indiana I found an apartment that was close to work, and 35-40 min to the barn. Then I moved so that I could be closer to my horse. Now it only takes 10 minutes, but I have a 45 minute commute to work! :)

alex21
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:22 PM
When I was on the east coast I drove up to an hour to get to my barn. When I moved to Indiana I found an apartment that was close to work, and 35-40 min to the barn. Then I moved so that I could be closer to my horse. Now it only takes 10 minutes, but I have a 45 minute commute to work! :)

Your second scenario is what I am doing now:lol:

alex21
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:23 PM
Your second scenario is what I am doing now:lol:

Your first scenario is what I am most likely transitioning too:D

kateh
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:28 PM
I haven't owned a horse, but I've done everything from 20 minutes to an hour. Ironically, I was riding most frequently when the drive was an hour, since I had free access to a horse.

AliCat518
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:41 PM
I was at 30-40 minutes each way OR 60 minutes each way (depending on if I was at my house or my boyfriends). Unfortunately, I lost my license on Jan 3 (due to medical issues) and it was SO hard to get to the barn...even once a week). My poor gelding ended up being neglected (not fed AT ALL) for weeks. I went out one day after not being able to get there and he was skinny and unhappy. (I picked him up that day and took him to my bf's wonderful farm.)
I also brought my new horse (who was boarded elsewhere,) to my boyfriends farm, so now theyre just three driveways down.
If my horses werent here, I would never see them, Luckily, (if I remain conscious for the next 27-ish days!) i'll have my license back and can drive to shows! YAY!

I've done the long driving to the barn...it sucks big time...but just be glad you CAN drive. I had my license from 16-23...all of asudden, its gone. It's worse than you can imagine if you board. Just getting a farrier or board check out to the barn was hard for me.

Okay, rant over.

lilbayhunter
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:42 PM
It takes me about 45-50 minutes unless I hit rush hour, in which case it might take well over an hour. For me the drive is worth it to be with my trainer.

TheHorseProblem
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:58 PM
I myself could walk to the barn, but there are many people who drive 45 minutes to an hour one way to ride, mostly because traffic is so bad around here. Another friend, when she lived in Chicago, drove over an hour to see her horse.

I expect Peggy to weigh in soon...

Jumpthemoon16
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:42 AM
About 40 minutes from home, 20 from school.

Rel6
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:52 AM
Used to commute three minutes, now commute 50. So worth it to be getting really good instruction.

mizchalmers
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:52 AM
35 minutes from home, 45-50 minutes from work. Exactly 30 minutes from home if I carpool with my friend in her Beamer :) Not many barns closer to me - I live in San Francisco, on the edge of the Mission District. But my barn is wonderful and amazing and I wouldn't go to one closer by even if it existed.

goosejumps
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:38 AM
20ish now, 45ish in the winter. great music or a recorded book might help you with the long drives. good luck!

CaliZ
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:30 AM
15 Minutes :)

Simbalism
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:57 AM
I drive 22.5 miles one way. It takes about 30 min if I drive on the highway.Prior to that I was at a farm that was about a 15min drive(about 1/2 the distance). I love the farm where I board. All the boarders are middle aged ladies, except for one 24yo girl. No drama, it is great! The farm is 100 acres and we have permission to ride on several neighboring farms to the tune of at least another 100 acres. The ring is large with good jumps, and wide enough that you can set up a small dressage arena at one end widthwise without even having to move jumps.

karlymacrae
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:33 AM
When I boarded it was 15 minutes. Now we have our horses at home.. but when I bought my new horse in January he already had a month's board paid there so I just kept him there (why not, right? one less stall to clean, one less mouth to feed! I already knew the barn and everyone there, the trainers etc since I had boarded there before) and it was 45 mins. THAT was h e double hockey sticks.

I think I saw on road to the maclay one girl drove 4 hours?? Geeeyze.

my_doran
Jun. 8, 2011, 07:44 AM
don't know exact km,but only takes 15-20 minutes to get to my barn.and if there's a little more traffic then just add another 10 min.

myalter1
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:18 AM
1 mile from my office and 6 minutes from my house (sorry, I'm spoiled.) As a kid, it was 1/2 hr drive to the barn.

morganpony86
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:54 AM
22 miles one way; approximately 45 minutes, an hour with traffic.

There are girls at my barn who commute 49 miles one way, at least an hour without traffic, up to 2.5 hours with traffic (which occurs often). That makes me feel better about my commute. :)

monday
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:00 AM
An hour and fifteen to an hour and a half each way depending on traffic. If I don't leave work by 4 in the afternoon, its not worth going because the drive will be closer to 2 hours. I hate the drive, love the barn.

FertilizerLeaves
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:07 AM
I don't own a horse, but if I'm at home it's 1hr-1.5hr drive. If I'm with family, it's 2.5hrs (figure 3 with time change). But it depends on what you want out of where you board/lesson. I *could* ride 5 min from my school, but I wanted to be more competitive.

hasahorse
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:53 AM
About 45 minutes from my house, but I can make it in 30 if all the traffic gods are lined up just right. If I am going straight from work, which is rare because I don't drive but commute by public transit, it can take upwards of and hour and a half.

I used to board at a barn that was 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic. Nice facility for the most part, but the owner/trainer was so toxic that it made my life miserable. I would rather drive 15 more minutes to have my horse happy, me happy, and work with a trainer that I love.

moonriverfarm
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:58 AM
Growing up, I rode my BIKE to the barn. A year ago, I had the horses at my own farm. Right now, 30 miles (yuck) but in a couple of months, more like 15. I would not bitch except for the gas....my horse is happy and I'm at a private barn. But I will be happy to move him closer especially for when the days are shorter and I have to really bust it to get to ride during the week!

Dapple Dawn Farm
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:08 AM
2 min. to my horse but 1 hr 10 min to work...I guess it all does even out in the end. I did buy a motorcycle to ride to work on nice days in order to save gas $$$ :)

OveroHunter
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:11 AM
I live in the apartment over the barn that is only accessible by going through the 4th stall on the left (aka our tack room) and going up the staircase in there... So its about a 5 second walk...

I bet there are many COTHers out there with a commute much longer than mine that ride a whole lot more than I do.

tullio
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:39 AM
my DH is in the military - thanks to the remoteness of our current duty station, I drive 82 miles (one way) to get to the barn. I usually do that about 3 - 4 times per week. My horse is half-leased for the summer, but when he isn't, some of the barn girls catch rides on him if I can't get out there for a few days. (I am very lucky to have found a super barn - lots of nice riders who are also good horsemen!)

I could keep a horse closer to home, but I wanted the expertise of a great trainer and the opportunity to show/clinic frequently etc. Fortunately my barn is AWESOME and well worth the commute. (I also have a car that gets great gas mileage!)

abv1269
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:02 PM
My barn is 35 minutes on weekends if all variables are in my favor. As I live in Jersey and go to the barn after work during rush hour on a major artery, I'm usually looking at anywhere from 50 minutes to 1.5 hours during the week. My daughter and I ride 4-6 times per week.

I work from home, so thankfully don't have a commute, but often travel for work, which takes a ton out of me. The drive has been taking it's toll, but the barn is a great one, my horse is happy as a stoat and healthy, and the instruction has improved our riding. Plus, there are wonderful people there whom I enjoy tremendously, and my trainer is very good about rounding up very capable riders to work my mare when I travel.

danceronice
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:03 PM
35 miles one-way, more or less.

TarheelJD
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:14 PM
I drive about 50 miles each way - it can take 55 minutes with no traffic or an hour and 15 minutes with traffic. I don't begrudge a minute of it, because I know my horse is happy and taken care of by the BO/his trainer like he is her own.

Boarding in "in town" Atlanta would never be an option for me because I refuse to keep him where he would have no turn out. So, even if I wanted to switch barns for some reason, the best case scenario would be 45 minutes each way.

Anticipation
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:17 PM
I fly from MD to WI (or to a horse show in the midwest) or from MD to FL in the winter.

Troispony
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
40-45 minutes- but I just got my license last year and with my last barn being 15 min away I can tell you it feels MUCH longer when you have to drive yourself!

Although my friend lives in the city and takes a 20 min train ride to my house in addition to the 45 min drive so it could be worse...

On the upside however I do get a lot more riding done every day as I figure if I'm going to drive all that way I should hack at least 2.

KateKat
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:27 PM
about 15 to 20 minutes. I used to be at a barn that took about 45 minutes, and just couldn't keep that up. I already commute 30-40 minutes a day for work, and having to come home to let my dog out and whatnot, then head to the barn was getting to be too much. Having one so close with great training really is a godsend!

mswillie
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:31 PM
About 15 minutes from work then 40 minutes back home. I only count the additional 15 minutes though since I'd be driving to and from work anyway.

It's about 35 minutes each way on the weekends since traffic is generally lighter. I love this barn and am glad to be so close.

I'dRatherBRiding
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:36 PM
I drive 30 minutes from home to the barn, but I work an hour away from my home and the barn is somewhat in the middle. It's the drive to work that sucks up all of my time, but I get paid pretty well, so I guess I'll keep the job or I won't have to worry about driving to the barn anymore!

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:38 PM
Yup. My barn is an hour away as well. Not ideal, but it's the best barn scenario (great facilities and care, good trainers, pretty drama-free and somewhat affordable ;) and I can have both my horses at the same barn -- retired guy in pasture and my young mare in a large grassy paddock), so it's worth it. But I sure wish I had something that good closer.

gottagrey
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:47 PM
Used to be 20 minutes to work, 20 mintues to barn, 20 minutes back home; now if I go after work an hour +, from home it's 20-30 minutes depending on if I hit the lights.. there are very few places closer to my house than that - and zip close to work.. am struggling to find job closer to home & barn but in this economy am thinking job security first priority

BAC
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:54 PM
I'm so lucky, the barn where I ride is in the same town I live in, its 7 miles away on a single lane, winding road through beautiful properties. Not even any traffic to deal with. The bad news is I commute 2 hours each way to my job in NYC. :(

Beethoven
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:57 PM
None, I walk down stairs.:lol:

When I was in high school, I drove 30-50 mins depending on the barn I was at.

College, I drove 40 mins to my trainers barn. I moved him closer, but barn was still 15-20 mins away.

allintexas
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:51 PM
25-30 minutes from home, 15-30 minutes from work

purplnurpl
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:57 PM
2 min. to my horse but 1 hr 10 min to work...I guess it all does even out in the end. I did buy a motorcycle to ride to work on nice days in order to save gas $$$ :)

me too.
I walk out my back door and I'm in the barn. :D

But I commute 65 miles ONE WAY to work each day in lovely rush hour traffic.

time frame:
6:10AM - 7:30AM (to work)
4:45PM - 6:15PM (from work to home)

It seems either way most people drive quite a bit either to work or to their horse.

GraceLikeRain
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:42 PM
15 min to the barn
5 min to campus

I Love being a college kid in a horse-friendly town.

jump4me
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:00 PM
15 minutes from where I live/work to where my horses live, which I do anyway 2x/day to take care of them.
But if I want to really ride, as in, in an arena, its about a 20-30 minute trailer drive, depending on where I go.

mojo7777
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:08 PM
Seven minutes door to door. This is one benefit of living in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Pirateer
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:43 PM
My first barn was about 15 minutes from my house.

Second barn was about 10 minutes.

Third/current is like 5 minutes, in busy traffic.

Fourth was about 15 minutes.

I'm incredibly lucky and I know someday I'll have to put in my dues and drive something awful.

McVillesMom
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:07 AM
I'm the closest I've been to my horses in years - maybe ever - right now. Got from the barn to home today in 15 minutes. :cool:

Mako
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:53 AM
20 min from my house

35-40 from work