PDA

View Full Version : Kwik-Out stirrup owners: attaching a stirrup pad??

jn4jenny
Jun. 7, 2011, 05:14 PM
Has anyone found a way to attach some kind of anti-fatigue pad to the Kwik-Out stirrups? Because of the release mechanism on these, I'm having trouble seeing how a wraparound design like the Super Grip Stirrup Pad would work. I'm honestly getting to the point where I'm thinking of GLUING something to the Kwik Out stirrup.

Anyone gotten creative with this? For those who don't own Kwik-Outs but want to play, this shows how they work:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-0746

I know this is hare-brained, and I know the faster/easier solution would be to go buy the Mountain Horse Quick Release stirrups that can accommodate almost any stirrup pad. If I can't find a solution for the Kwik-Outs, then I'll demote my Kwik-Outs to my dressage saddle and go with the Mountain Horse stirrups for my jump saddle.

giddybiddy
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:44 AM
Dover does sell replacement Kwik-Out pads, don't know if that's what you were looking for or not.

Otherwise I'd say it's pretty hard to put anything there but the intended pad...it's a very small surface, unfortunately.

If the release mechanism is what you're aiming for, I"d say you're better off with the Mountain Horse ones where, as you said, you can put in pretty much whatever stirrup pad you choose.

Good luck!

jump4me
Jun. 8, 2011, 05:10 PM
Haven't tried it yet so it may not work at all... but... I was thinking of trying to use a strip of vet wrap to attach some kind of padding onto the foot pad thing. Once around with the vet wrap I think would be thin enough to fit inside the base and still keep the padding attached, just have to replace it every couple of rides. My feet get numb/fall asleep without having the rubber pads like in fillis irons, so I'm determined to find some kind of solution... glueing something on may be your best bet though.

justblu
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:35 PM
Quite a while back I heard a story about a horse that was injured after falling on it's side and landing on the stirrup with the side opened. Sorry I don't know the specific details, but maybe it's worth considering a different design if you end up having to replace these becuase of the stirrup pads anyway?

ZIL
Jun. 10, 2011, 11:41 AM
You can also try the Action Magna Stirrups....they're on sale on several websites.