PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Legs Still

Gnomeland
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:56 PM
I've picked up an awful habit of having a very wiggly leg after taking some time off from riding. I'm fine at the walk and canter (for the most part) but at the trot it moves around quite a bit almost nagging rather than urging on, and over fences it slips back some.

Are there any exercises or specific suggestions as to what to do? Aside from stirrupless as I tend to pinch with my knee and so that probably won't help.

saanengirl
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:59 PM
Stand in the stirrups during warm up, trot in two point, other exercises that will help your lower legs.

kateh
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:12 PM
Two point, lots of it. I always spend the first couple of warmup laps in two point to "fix" my leg in place (tells you if your stirrups are the right length too! ;)). Take your reins in one hand and put the other on your helmet, behind your back, out to your side, etc. It's a heck of a lot harder to balance on reins or something like that. If you can get some lunge lessons, that would be awesome.

Different ways to think of leg still/heels down: pull your toe up instead of pushing your heel down; push down from the knee.

Also, try out some different saddles if possible. Different designs work better for different people. I hadn't realized how much they affected me until I switched from a really bad one to a really really good one.

time fault
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:17 PM
It's a topic of discussion on another board but with a lot of riders it seems to boil down to irons. Might be worth looking into.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:45 PM
Can you elaborate? Steel irons are good/bad? Composite is good/bad?

kateh
Jun. 7, 2011, 05:20 PM
Depends on the person. Most find it harder to keep their leg in one place with the jointed stirrups. GM thinks anything not a regular old fillis iron is gimmicky, but YMMV.

Gnomeland
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info! Anything else?

emcfarling1
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:00 AM
There is no quick fix for a wiggly leg except more time in the saddle. Be sure to focus on other areas of your equitation besides your leg. Tipping forward causes your leg to slide back, incorrect stirrup placement and many other factors could be causing it..
Saddle tite works wonders.. I love it!

doublesstable
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:13 AM
If you can post a pic or video? I found some of my issues were due to an improperly fitting saddle.

I see many riders that just need to find a saddle that fits them. Also you can have someone take videos so you can see for yourself what you are doing... if you are leaning forward or not closing your hip angle enough or don't have enough weight in your heels....etc...