PDA

View Full Version : A use for your old helmets (seriously!)

flyracing
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:50 PM
I have a physics projects where we are to test integrity of a product and I would like to use the helmets we put on to protect our heads everyday! But I need some old helmets (new would be great, but have you seen the price of helmets, :lol: )

So, if anyone has an old GPA or CO you won’t ever use again, consider donating it to science! As I have planned so far I will need 3 similar/identical GPA’s and 3 similar/identical Charles Owens. I’m keeping it to those two to keep variables down and they are the most popular. The harnesses can be cut, so you know no one will try and ride in a donated helmet. My goal is to find a point of destruction with each of the three tests so there will be nothing usable left over.

I can pay the shipping costs and offer a $10 gift card to smartpak for any donations. I know it’s not much, but any help with my project would be greatly appreciated!

Please PM me

ExJumper
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
I have an old CO Hampton I'd give you. Let me know if that helps.

holaamigoalter
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:06 PM
your results probably wont be accurate as any helmet you get it probably out of commission for a reasom (i.e. a fall damaged it, ect.) and old also means the important part will have deteriorated over time due to environmental factors.

myalter1
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:07 PM
I have a charles owen kids helmet. does it matter what size? Never been in a fall. Just outgrown by my little one!

akhunterrider
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:24 PM
I have a GPA (manufactured in 2003) and it's never been in a fall, it's just too old to safely wear. I have a Charles Owen GR8 (manufactured in 2006) that is also too old to wear. I would be glad to donate them to you, as they're both just collecting dust in the barn.

ExJumper
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:28 PM
your results probably wont be accurate as any helmet you get it probably out of commission for a reasom (i.e. a fall damaged it, ect.) and old also means the important part will have deteriorated over time due to environmental factors.

If she were writing her thesis I'd agree with you. For anything less than that, it's probably not an issue. I'm sure that the process and procedure behind organizing an experiment is probably the goal of the assignment, not actually performing any groundbreaking research.

Sounds like a fun project to me. What are you gong to do to bring these helmets to failure?

Mimi La Rue
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:54 PM
I have an IRH ATH helmet. It hasn't been in a fall, it is just over 5 years old.

jewll27
Jun. 7, 2011, 05:02 PM
I also have an IRH ATH that hasnt been in a serious fall, just didnt fit right so I got a new one...

Renn/aissance
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:39 PM
I have an old GPA Titium. Disclaimer: I have sustained two concussions in this helmet, which is why I'm not still wearing it.

kateh
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:49 PM
IRH XR9 you're welcome to as soon as the new one comes in (~1 week). Has been in a serious fall...or two...bad kateh.

Just a thought, it might be interesting to have some that HAVE been in big falls and compare how they hold up against "gently used" ones.

CupcakeTough
Jun. 7, 2011, 07:00 PM
I have a charles owen showjumper 2000. No falls. Just sitting around for a few years.

LulaBell
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:47 PM
Let me know if you broaden from just CO and GPA...I have a cheap schooling helmet in good condition (as in no falls) that's only a year old that needs a new home.

Good luck!

dani0303
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:57 PM
I have an old GPA with a torn harness. Would that be an issue?

horserider12
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:28 PM
I have a gpa that you can have. it has been in a pretty serious fall, don't know if that matters to you.

risky business
Jun. 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
I have a CO with "no falls" on it.

Replaced 'cos I got tired of pushing it out of eyes.

SweetMutt
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:08 PM
I have an IRH ATH that hasn't been in any falls - I know you only mentioned GPA and CO but if you want an ATH it's just taking up space for me.

pattnic
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:01 PM
Wish I'd known about this a couple weeks ago - I just tossed my old CO GR8 in the trash! :(

kelsey97
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:37 PM
^^^^^Your signature is is hilarious!!