PDA

View Full Version : Cuts down arc too much after jump???

Dapple Dawn Farm
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:47 AM
Any suggestions on improving a horses form that tends to cut his arc after the fence. He has a lovely take off and nice form over the fence but unfolds too early to land. He is just a 4 y. o. greenie but I would like to work on this so as not to make a habit of it. I have a few exercises in mind but value the input and expreiences of my fellow COTHer's.

KaChing
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:52 AM
My 6 year old started doing this over some oxers when we moved him up to 1.20. He unfolds a bit early and just tips the back rail with his toes, normally if one leg is hanging slightly. He's not quite perfect yet, but he's starting to figure it out through the use of landing and take off rails. I will use sometimes just a landing, sometimes just a take off, and sometimes both. Just to mix it up a bit and keep him concentrating on his feet and arc without relying too heavily on both of the poles.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:58 AM
KaChing...how far out are you placing the landing rail?

KaChing
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:46 AM
3-4 steps out (sorry don't know exact feet) depending on what the height is and how much I want him to stretch. So for my horse that likes to land a bit shallow and take a shorter first stride after oxers, I normally set it at 4 steps to make him land and stretch a bit for the pole. But I would set it a bit shorter for verticles where you are really concentrating on the shape of the arc.

shawneeAcres
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:27 AM
It sounds like he doesnt have enough forward momentum over the top of the fence. I would work on getting the pace going forward and making sure he understands how to rock back and use hind end. Placing poles should help as well as some gymnasitcs, keeping him going FORWARD thru the gymnastic

CBoylen
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:06 PM
Roll out the groundlines on the landing side.