PDA

View Full Version : Trailer parking courtesy

kkindley
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:13 AM
I have to vent here a little bit. WHY do people insist on parking 4 feet from my trailer!!! And I mean this at a HT with no stabling of course. And then they tie their horse to the side of their trailer in that said 4 feet!! AGGGHHH!!! :confused:

When I park, I leave adequate room between me and the trailer beside me, taking note of the number of horses they have, to help me decide how much room to leave. I tie to the side of my trailer, I have an old trailer, and it's too hot to leave her on it. And she ties like an old pony club horse anyways. :D Now I don't leave a football field, but adequate room for both parties to work around their trailer, them and me. Then when I was at the secretarys stand, someone pulled in 4 feet from me!! When I got back, they were gone, and someone had already parked next to them, or I would have politely asked them to park a couple more feet away.

I really wouldn't have cared, except they had 2 horses and tied both of them out , one on my side in this 4 feet. So now this makes me nervous about my door getting smushed, my fender being smushed, and of course, the horse getting hurt in the prcess. And to top it all off, they didn't have a muck bucket or anything with them, but wanted to clean the trailer before unloading the horses, so they just mucked it into a pile on the ground!!! :eek: How inconsiderate to the facilities! Heck, at least spread it around if that's what you are going to do. This was followed by them setting of their car alarm for 5 minutes and not knowing how to turn it off.

Ok, I'm done, but this and other things I have seen lead me to ask, do people really not have common sense anymore?

Highflyer
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:27 AM
I often think that if people knew what a spaz my horse was, they'd park as far from me as they could get. That said, though, sometimes at a HT the parking is limited or there is someone directing you, and you have very little choice.

Duckz
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:30 AM
Parking was directed at the HT I went to this weekend. They had us parking quite close. My horse and the horse next door were butt to butt at times. If possible, you could try tying to the back of your trailer.

kkindley
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:45 AM
I meant to add that caveat, they were directing where to park, and keeping the lines even, but they were allowing you to spread out a bit. Many people left room for canopies, pop ups, etc.

It does make me consider figuring out a way to tie to the back of my trailer, but there's just no where to do it safely. I have honestly never had this problem, and really wouldn't care if they hadn't tied their horse in between. I had left myself adequate room on the other side.

riderboy
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:40 AM
FWIW; I pack a couple of those orange traffic cones and have them available to set out. And if possible just be direct and ask for some space, I'll say my boy kicks if they really want a reason. Bill Cosby used to hold an airsickness bag to discourage people from sitting next to him/talking to him on airplanes!

deltawave
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:00 AM
There are two sides to this issue. :) People parking all sprawled out every which way and people blocking gigantic tracts of space for their rig and entourage is just as aggravating as someone pulling in too close, especially when space is precious.

I have no problem with someone laying out some cones for a modest buffer zone, but if there's not a lot of room I'm going to park pretty close for the sake of saving room. I tack up and prepare virtually exclusively out of my trailer, stabling or no stabling, so I am aware that space is important, but facilities with unlimited space for everyone to spread out are rare. :)

kcrubin
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:17 AM
I have seen two serious accidents from parking too close and having both sets of horses out by the side of the trailer. I agree there has to be some common sense and courtesy. I pay attention to what the rig beside me looks like they plan to do and try to park accordingly and tie my horse in the safest way to make for a fun day for all. Not everyone does that. I try to give myself time upon arrival to make sure that the trailer coming in after me doesn't crowd me before I leave the rig. I have actually had a trailer squeeze in between me and the trailer next to me when we both left - about a foot between the three - some people are just not horse savvy even if they are driving the rig. Thankfully most people are decent. I think the cones are a reasonable idea. I would also use buckets or saddle rack just so someone knows my set up plan if they are pulling in.

Fractious Fox
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:34 AM
I like Riderboy's idea... the cones, not the puke bag one (for this scenario) :D

I'll add another related complaint to this issue...

I went to watch some friends at a well attended and well run event in my area. I parked in the trailer area near their trailer because a) I was helping them and b) it was spill over for the regular car parking area which was full. I made sure to park well away from any trailers, and actually parked right alongside a telephone pole with a guide wire because I figured it would be avoided by trailers anyway. There was a lot of open space out into the field for incoming trailers.

Right after I parked, as I was getting out, a huge trailer pulled up RIGHT NEXT to my car; they had obnoxiously jockeyed themselves into the cramped spot so they could be closest to the exit. The passenger proceeded to get out and give me very dirty looks about where/how I was parked. I mean, they were rude enough that my friend 75 feet away noticed what was going on. I figured it wasn't worth my time to get caught up in someone's negative energy. I reparked along a fence line in another undesirable spot, very out of the way.

So, I think the discourteous attitude can go both ways... that's life I guess!

riderboy
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:58 AM
The cones are also handy for "marking" the area in front of your trailer to discourage people from parking there and blocking you in.

MeghanDACVA
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:19 PM
I too always park a good distance away. My mare doesnt' always tie as well as she should, and she kicks.
Even not knowing this, which of course they don't, she is BIG. 17.2 and BIG. So obviously she is going to need a bit more room.
But people still insist on pulling in close, and tieing their horses on the same side as her.
Even if she weren't a witch, putting horses so close that when they stand prependicular to their trailers they are actually side by side, not just butt to butt, seems pretty obviously stupid to me.

And like has been said, it happens when you step away for an instant.

Beam Me Up
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:27 PM
I don't think people are parking tight for fun--everyone wants space to spread out. Usually the show has limited parking space and demands that you park close to your neighbor. I've been asked to back up and park again, closer, and have seen the parking attendant move the buckets my neighbor set out to give herself space.

I'm with you on the dangers and inconveniences of being packed in, but I think competitors usually don't have much option, aside from ignoring the parking volunteers which is also not cool.

kkindley
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:34 PM
It is very inconsiderate to park a mile apart, and unnecessary. If you have a tent, set it up directly in front of, or behind your trailer. But when you are so close as to be unsafe, and I can hardly open my truck doors, that's a bit close. Especially when you have not been made to park that way. and as I said, lack of common sense there, is usually associated with it elsewhere. Like the poo being piled on the ground. and who would be responsible if the horse backed into my trailer and sprung my (closed) door, and hurt itself in the process?

nature
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:39 PM
I know, and I am just as guilty to park for an easy exit but think about this....If truck a parked facing north and then truck b parked facing south and then truck c parked facing north, the horses would not be near each other when tied to the back of the trailer!!!

Heinz 57
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think people are parking tight for fun--everyone wants space to spread out. Usually the show has limited parking space and demands that you park close to your neighbor. I've been asked to back up and park again, closer, and have seen the parking attendant move the buckets my neighbor set out to give herself space.

I'm with you on the dangers and inconveniences of being packed in, but I think competitors usually don't have much option, aside from ignoring the parking volunteers which is also not cool.

Bah! I've been at numerous schooling shows with NO parking attendant and MILES of flat, gravel parking area not even half full - think big enough to hold the larger rodeos - and some yeehaw still feels the need to park within 4 feet of the side of the trailer that has the tackroom on it. Close enough that I can't safely walk my horse between the trucks for fear of bumping into a mirror. Sometimes I even get someone like this on both sides, with both of them tying their horses on the 'shared' side so I can hardly get into my tackroom.

Usually (not always) they are driven by the non-horsey parents of children who don't know better (isn't it just like a car parking lot?!). Not only does it cause issues with tying horses, it makes life rather difficult if you have to back out of the spot to leave.

mjhco
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:50 PM
Pull out your lawn chairs, grooming boxes, mounting blocks and put them a safe distance from your trailer on both sides.

jenarby
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:59 PM
I had this happen to me a couple of times last year at shows. Thank heavens my horse was a saint while tied to the trailer. It always ended up being the people who had horses pulling back or fighting with each other that parked too close. I worried about my horse and tried moving him to the other side of the trailer. Only problem was that it was taking him out off of the shady side and making him stand in the sun all day. Not cool. I think it is pretty rude when people don't pay attention like that. It is dangerous and accidents could be better prevented if people just gave a few more feet of room in between trailers.

Brandy76
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
Or this- we pull up at an ht, and there is good, flat, fairly generous amount of parking. But of course everyone wants to be close to the exit.

So, we pull up, and there is a BIG rig- 8 horses - parked right near the exit/entrance. Ok. But, next to them , in a horizontal line, meaning taking up seven trailer spaces, were the entourage cars. So, they took up eight spaces- one for the trailer, and the rest for the cars. So, essentially, the parking for trailers started after that.

One could argue that they were entitled to that many spaces, but really? Courtesy anyone? And it did not improve having to share the warm up with them. And, these were not upper level people - not that that matters.

oldpony66
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:36 PM
It won't be me parking that close to you! I hate that too! I was at a HT last fall and (with plenty of parking at the event) left LOTS of space between me and the next trailer, assuming they would by tying on that side. Minutes later a trailer pulls up RIGHT next to me on the right, unloads and proceeds to tie her horse between our two trailers (where there is like, ten feet.) We unload ours, and she says "Watch out, mine kicks." REALLY? That's why you parked that close to me? So we tied to the back of the trailer (the people on the other side had already set up chairs, a table, etc... got very comfy) and sure enough, not usually being tied to the back of the trailer our guy gets antsy and somehow manages to break one of our running lights. I finally asked the girl if she could move her horse around to the other side, as I was not even sure I should be walking behind her horse since it kicks. She politely did, and then added that she had only tied on that side because it was in the shade (it was about 50 degrees out that day).
So, yes, I appreciate it when someone actually uses a little bit of thought before parking their trailer at an event. When you're too close together it's just not safe.

SevenDogs
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:39 PM
We have often "trailer-pooled", including bringing a big rig with multiple horses in it. Because there is not enough room for everyone's tack/equipment in the trailer, riders must bring their tack in their own cars.

In order for them to be able to tack up, they must have access to the "tack room", aka their car. Therefore, it is appropriate to park the cars in the trailer area, by the trailer. This arrangement takes up WAY LESS parking room than if every horse came in their own truck/trailer (which they are technically permitted to do).

Please be kind to those that park cars in the trailer area for this reason. It always ticks me off when parking officials can't seem to understand that we are doing them a favor and taking up LESS space with this arrangement.

MyssMyst
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:41 PM
The cones are also handy for "marking" the area in front of your trailer to discourage people from parking there and blocking you in.

I am so stealing this idea.

hollynanne
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:46 PM
This is actually an interesting and timely discussion. Our barn is taking 4 truck/trailer combos to CC schooling on the mainland (about an hour away). I will most likely be the one to "help" park the trailers (i.e. decide how far apart, etc). I don't put up with crap or attitude and I'm a little OCD about that kind of thing. ;) I'm thinking opposite directions, so there is ample room to move horses around. Of the about 10 horses going, 3-4 are total greenies.

I'd like to figure this out now, as we have a HT in a month that we are going to haul into for the three days (we're practically staggering distance from the grounds). Should be pretty interesting, to say the least.

What do you do with your nasty kickers/crabbies, when you're packed like sardines? My mare is a total crabby and will kick first, ask questions later... I don't need the headache of my mare kicking someone or something, and dealing with the drama...

inquisitive
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:34 PM
Most HT I have found people to be pretty smart about where they park when it's not dictated by a parking attendant.

The thing that bugs me most is at overnight shows, when I leave the trailer parked, and someone comes and parks their car in front of it... genius

ravenclaw
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:47 PM
The people who park their trailers too close at horse shows are probably the same ones who park their carts in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store.

trubandloki
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:49 PM
The people who park their trailers too close at horse shows are probably the same ones who park their carts in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store.
So true.

kkindley
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only crabby pants then! lol. Yes, MOST people are very considerate. Love the ideas put out to prevent this. I'll have to go with cones/ muckbucket though. I'm the one with the 1976 Kingston with half the body work completed and painted Rustoleum grey. :D So no tackroom= no room for niceties like a saddle rack or mounting block. My divider becomes my saddle rack, and ducking behind that is my dressing room!

I also love the shopping cart comment, so true! I really think that some people don't realize their actions affect others. They are not purposely doing it, it just doesn't cross their minds, and that applies to EVERYTHING!

scubed
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:29 PM
I have been known to pose the question: a**hats or obliviots? over some behaviors

Toadie's mom
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:41 PM
This is one of my biggest aggravations! Majority of ones who have crowded me seem like newbies. Mom or Dad with the suburban and children. These I'll tell that my horse kicks and they may want to tie their's on the other side, or back. I try to be polite instead of telling them what a dumba** they are like I'd really like to do.

If it's a big parking area I'll park as far away from the exit/office/hosing area/etc. as possible. I don't mind walking, and have found that others are looking for the quickest exit, and/or the shortest walk to the check in.

I'm another one who's going to try the cones!

judybigredpony
Jun. 7, 2011, 07:09 PM
I hate people parking close to my trailer, tying their horses to it and then departing.....

I have seen horses w/ feet in haynets, haybags, lines so long they graze n get feet over line, seen them pull back and slip onto haunches, in one case a lovely Advanced horse ended up with his hind feet under the rig and a strained back. Feet in water buckets..wind blew an empty bucket and terrified one porr horse who nearly pulled side of a trailer off...and these were at HT's not rodeos...

Tying up for grooming and tacking up, change studs, give baths fine...but when ther are 3 horses tied to side of a rig and people take off to walk the course or get a meal...thats what your trailer stalls are for.

Yes I Do Not tie my horses and leave unattended. One thing I admire about the H/J crowd.
Mine get educated to stand patiently in the trailer w/ hay, water bucket, fans if necessary.

deltawave
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:20 PM
Tying up for grooming and tacking up, change studs, give baths fine...but when ther are 3 horses tied to side of a rig and people take off to walk the course or get a meal...thats what your trailer stalls are for.

Yes I Do Not tie my horses and leave unattended. One thing I admire about the H/J crowd.
Mine get educated to stand patiently in the trailer w/ hay, water bucket, fans if necessary.

Different strokes for different folks. Mine get educated to stand quietly tied wherever I need them to stand tied. Yes, usually to my trailer, often for hours on end. Being on a trailer is hot, stifling, and allows them no room to move at all. I make sure there are no buckets, ropes, or haynets to get tangled with. If they don't tie well, they are closely supervised until I'm sure they have the ability to do so sanely. :)

It's all about educating the horse for the job at hand, minimizing risk, and allowing for others to do it their way, too.

LAZ
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:09 PM
I'm the parking harpy here--if I get everyone with stalls parked just so and the showing out of trailer people parked where I park them, and the cars parked out front everyone can get in and out with angst all day long.

If I leave it unattended I can only park half the folks and no one can leave when they want to.

It's amazing....

JRG
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:22 AM
It never really bothered me because of my set up. I have a trailer that I tack up in and walk out the back.

That being said, I am aware that not everyone can do that. If the trailer next to me has a side ramp, I make sure I am at least 4' from the base of the ramp as it lies on the ground. If the trailer is a straight load I park about 6-8' from it because if they tie outside, I don't want their horse backing up into my trailer.

My issue is, you make the allowance for the trailer and a little car swoops in and parks...but I can't do anything about that. I can only hope that the side ramp people leave their ramps down to fill up the space:)

MeghanDACVA
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
I have done the "put stuff out far enough to claim my safe area" and had people move it to back in next me!! I am sure cones would not deter them either.

I organized an education event earlier this year and put very large signs out for where cars were to park and where trucks/trailers (only) were to park. Guess what, most cars parked with the trailers. Can people not read?

I too hate it when there are cars parked every whichy way taking up room that is needed by trucks/trailers and horses. And when they park in front of YOUR rig!!

I have found that most of these people are not horse people. Relatives of the riders usually. And sometimes even the horse people are not that educated, or savy, about this either. Or obvilous and in their own special world.

I don't leave my mare tied to the trailer if I am not there due to her "issues". So it isn't uncommon for her to be in the trailer and me not there when the other people come and park right next to me. They then unload their horses and tie them to their trailer with no room for me to unload my horse to tie her long enough to tack her up!! ARGHHHH