PDA

View Full Version : This is the plan?

riderboy
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
I don't know why I read the commentary from CMP in Eventing magazine. He's supposed to be the leader, the point man for our Olympic team heading for London in 2012. It does not sound promising for the US of A. He whines that " It actually sort of sickens me that the Brits can come over here with their third and fourth string horses and clean up most of the Rolex prize money year after year." Yep, me too. And excuses for not doing well (again) like "For if I could match horses and riders the gold medal in London would be guaranteed. Regrettably those days enjoyed by Jack Legoff have gone."
Yep, and for quite some time now, so what's the game plan?
"It's not too late though, if you have a horse you would like to see go to London, call me, or the team and we can help find the best rider to fulfill that dream."
That's it? That's the plan for 2012? Hoping people will call in to offer their horses for the Olympic team? :confused:

Badger
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:25 PM
How much matching of horses and riders did the coach for the WEG Silver medal team do? Or did he just work with what he had and inspire them to exceed all expectations?

SevenDogs
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:53 PM
I also found it extremely offensive, and almost started a thread.

CMP always seems to blame everyone else, besides himself. He refuses to understand that many, many owners are sitting on the sidelines because they refuse to submit their horses to HIS program.

Perhaps they don't want their horses run off their feet trying to qualify or perhaps they don't trust his ability to match horse to rider (e.g. maybe people don't want their horse sent to Karen, Amy, Phillip or the other very few riders in CMP's circle), or perhaps they aren't willing to "toughen up, cupcake" when their horse is lost.

Mark -- try to get a clue.... IT'S YOU ... not us.... YOU!

Don't whine about a lack of support or tell us we don't have national pride. LOOK AT YOURSELF. What have you done to inspire us, in any way. Heck, I will even accept - what have you done not to alienate us?

.... The answer... nothing. You are getting EXACTLY what you deserve.

Pride (National or otherwise) is found in looking out for the horse. It's called horsemanship -- look into it.

NCRider
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:14 PM
Badger,
For all that I think the Canadians are awesome and their WEG performance was a sight to behold, it's somewhat unfair to compare the US to the Canadians. There were almost no external pressures on the Canadian riders at WEG. They rode to the best of their abilities and when the dust settled, after other teams self-destructed, the Canadians had their well deserved medal. But if other teams had performed to expectations, the Canadians wouldn't have had a medal.

The US selected a team where, at their best, they would have had a shot at a medal even if other teams had performed to expectations. I know I'd prefer the Canadian option, insert some young blood, accept that you won't medal if other teams perform as expected but know you'll put yourself in position if they don't but I'm not sure CMP has that luxury of accepting that going in.

It will be interesting to see who we have for 2012. I'd say PD on something, Boyd on Remington, Karen on Quintus and one off Will, Sinead or Jennie. I don't think that's a medal contender. We'll see.

ezmissg
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:45 PM
I don't mean to sound like a downer, but has anyone else already written off expectations for US performance in London?

I am not implying that I won't cheer and pray for each and every US team rider, but I pretty much feel like -- Let CMP have his swan song at home, and I'll start to be hopeful again after a regime change.

And, yes, I understand that it might only be a "kinda-sorta different-ish" change! ;)

SevenDogs
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:01 AM
I wrote off the entire four years when they renewed his contract in 2008.

Of course I have hoped that there would be riders who made it against the odds and Gina Miles was one of those. But, the program as a whole was a mess in 2008. I will forever wonder what the heck the people that renewed that contract were thinking.

JER
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:16 AM
Two words: lame duck.

Emphasis on the 'lame'.

PhoenixFarm
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:34 AM
The quote here implies that there are herds of advanced horses competing in secret somewhere. Which I find amusing.

I mean, heck, there can't be more than say 50-100 horses currently at advanced in this country, and certainly not all of those are legitimate London horses. I know CMP is at all the CCI 3 and 4 stars, so isn't it a good bet he already knows about all these horses? So one can assume he's already asked and been turned down, or he hasn't asked and wants these mythical London horses to fall in to his lap.

What horses is he talking about?

quietann
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:50 AM
Of course I have hoped that there would be riders who made it against the odds and Gina Miles was one of those...

So what has happened to Gina Miles, anyway? She was such a bright spot on the team in 2008...

GingerJumper
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:57 AM
So what has happened to Gina Miles, anyway? She was such a bright spot on the team in 2008...

From what I've heard (and don't quote me on this, could very well have gotten it wrong) Mac was retired and she bought a prospect or something. Rumor had it she was aiming for 3* this season but I haven't seen/heard of her at anything... who knows.

ezmissg
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
Two words: lame duck.

Emphasis on the 'lame'.

Yes, I was going to use this term exactly. I was just afraid to jinx anyone with the word "lame"! ;)

caffeinated
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:04 PM
The quote here implies that there are herds of advanced horses competing in secret somewhere. Which I find amusing.

Actually, I have a whole herd of them in my backyard. They have all been secretly training in the dead of night, like The Black Stallion did. They can all perform Grand Prix dressage AND jump around Rolex sized courses in their sleep.

If you want one, I'll only accept payment by Western Union. :yes:

riderboy
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:50 PM
Actually, I have a whole herd of them in my backyard. They have all been secretly training in the dead of night, like The Black Stallion did. They can all perform Grand Prix dressage AND jump around Rolex sized courses in their sleep.

If you want one, I'll only accept payment by Western Union. :yes:

Oh Thank God! We're SAVED! Wheww, I guess CMP's plan is working out after all. On behalf of a grateful nation, Thank You! :lol:

Catie79
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:45 PM
Somewhere over the rainbow, 4* horses fly . . .

Sorry, that's the image I got from his self-entitled plea.

gully's pilot
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:13 PM
Perhaps he wants us to buy them from Britian.

vineyridge
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:27 PM
Colin Davidson's Crackerjack is for sale through Boyd Martin. Price--undisclosed. which brings up the question "Where's Draco?" He could be finished by next October. Is that the kind of horse that CMP wants?

Here's a plan. Kill off most of the ULRs and reassign their horses to the TEAM riders that he prefers.

RacetrackReject
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:39 PM

I mean, heck, there can't be more than say 50-100 horses currently at advanced in this country, and certainly not all of those are legitimate London horses. I know CMP is at all the CCI 3 and 4 stars, so isn't it a good bet he already knows about all these horses? So one can assume he's already asked and been turned down, or he hasn't asked and wants these mythical London horses to fall in to his lap.

I think what he is trying to say is that if owners have their horses with lesser known, out of the circle riders, and they want them to get to London, call him and he will gladly have you pull that horse out from under the rider and give it to a chosen one, but I could be wrong.

wildlifer
Jun. 7, 2011, 07:36 PM
That's exactly why I quit reading that column. I flip through hopefully every issue hoping it's just gone away....

JER
Jun. 7, 2011, 07:59 PM
The appropriate response to this column?

Toughen up, cupcake.

(This is what we get for $250K/year. :eek:)

seeuatx
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:45 PM
Ohhh I know! Let's all take a trip out to a Texas stock yard and see if there aren't some "wild mustangs" that look suspiciously like Tbs or Irish Crosses and see if we can't train them to go Rolex and then the Olympics in less than a year. Seems like a viable option to me ;)

wanderlust
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:51 PM
So what has happened to Gina Miles, anyway? She was such a bright spot on the team in 2008... She ran the CIC3* at the most recent Galway downs, had a stop XC. I'd personally be surprised to see her find another McKinlaigh, he was one of a kind.

lstevenson
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:45 PM

That's what I was thinking! There aren't many Advanced horses in this country....he has to know them all already. But I bet he would like owners to buy top horses from overseas, and give them to his favorite riders.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

ACMEeventing
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:17 AM
Perhaps he wants us to buy them from Britian.

That's what I read in between the lines. Anyone with a really deep pocket should buy an expensive horse with 4 star potential (in under a year) and then GIVE it to him to be matched with an appropriate rider.

Ugh. So insulting.

skip916
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:44 PM
racetrackreject hit the nail on the head!

DLee
Jun. 9, 2011, 06:14 PM
Ohhh I know! Let's all take a trip out to a Texas stock yard and see if there aren't some "wild mustangs" that look suspiciously like Tbs or Irish Crosses and see if we can't train them to go Rolex and then the Olympics in less than a year. Seems like a viable option to me ;)

Hey, it could happen! Didn't you see Sylvester??

JP60
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:49 PM
Okay, I got this amazing jumping machine that with a little tuning can run the Olympics in his sleep. Sadly, he is committed to packing a hopeful BN LLR for the summer. However, if I can have what CMP is smoking I'll part with my guy for a small 6 figure fee....Oh damn...I just had to wake up.

What ever the outcome I will be cheering our team on and wishing the best.