PDA

View Full Version : Horse Tossing Head - Chiro Today - Out at the Poll

ParadoxFarm
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:52 PM
I took my horse (low level jumper) to the chiropractor today. He had been having an issue with head tossing (flicking up). Not sure if it's physical, or environmental, or behavioral. I do NOT think it's behavioral. I haven't had him a year yet, so I'm not sure what his past was like.

Anyway, the chiropractor said his body is fine as far as alignment, but he was "out at the poll". She made an adjustment. She also mentioned TMJ. Seems to me those would be two different things, but I'm not sure.

Hopefully this will make a difference, but I'm not 100% convinced, since I haven't ridden yet. I guess I'm a little skeptical. But he's a great horse, and I want to do all I can to keep him feeling good.

Has anyone else had a horse with this type of adjustment, and did it make any difference?

JB
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:36 PM
Yes, and yes :)

vbunny
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:38 PM
You'll find out when you do ride. Personally, I'd feel very positive about it.

Justice
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:50 PM
Have you changed bits at all? I would wonder which came first... the head flipping, or the out at the poll. Because the latter could be the result of the former.

naturalequus
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:12 PM
Being out at the poll can also be due to a horse pulling back and even, I would anticipate, muscle tension in that area. It could be due to a number of things.

OP, being out at the poll might or might not be the reason for the head flipping in your horse's case, but it is a very likely possibility. You can't understand how excruciatingly painful it can be for those vertebrae to be misaligned until it happens to you. Certainly valid reason for head tossing!