PDA

View Full Version : Time for another happy little (or big) thing thread!

netg
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:40 PM
Same as always for these threads - share your little and big brags! We need a happy Monday thread!

Due to an injury (horse) and sickness (me) I hadn't ridden in about 6 weeks, and my horse hadn't been ridden in that time either. He's recovering from his injury ahead of schedule and I'm finally requiring fewer than 20 hours of sleep a day... so today we had our first ride in a long time. We also moved the horses while I was sick, so it was our first ride at our new house.

It was an awful ride, it was a short ride because I have to regain my strength still, but I don't care, it was awesome! I'm riding the other horse tonight if I'm up to it, though she'd be just as happy if I don't. :lol:

Wayside
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:48 PM
Awesome! Glad you're back in the saddle again, even if it wasn't all roses.

I had a nice ride today, too. Not too intense since mare is still on the tendon rehab program, but we were out in the pasture for about 45 minutes of walking and trotting. She's still sound, and that tendon was still cool and tight when I was done, so I'm happy!

Hope everyone else is having a good Monday!

DutchDressageQueen
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:11 PM
I had a nice ride today as well!

I am soo excited for October! I have qualified for the 2011 GAIG Championship for region 3. The show will be held Oct. 14-16 at HITS in Ocala. I have never been to hits, but it seems like nice showgrounds. This will also be the first time I compete in a championship.

luvmydutch
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:04 PM
I had an amazing ride on my 3 y/o tonight. I set up a new dressage arena in the huge grass field behind our farm and she was SO focused and on her game tonight. Forward, swinging, ears flopping...then as a reward for being such a good girl we went for a gallop through the field....she almost bucked me off she was so excited, but after a sharp reprimand and another chance, she proved herself to be the level headed, awesome baby i know and we had a good hand gallop.
If there's anything closer to Nirvana than a good ride on a nice day, i've yet to experience it :)

seeuatx
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:51 PM
I'm still in excitement overload. My Greenie AFR mare had her very first (schooling) horse show yesterday and she was wonderful! We showed in a Training 1 class for 1st timers (horse or rider) at that level. I went into it with 3 goals - 1) stay on 2) Stay in the ring (we have dealt with some major barn/buddy sour issues and I was afraid she might high tail it back to the in gate) and 3) get canter leads.

The test was wonderful minus breaking at the canter (at A- where she wanted to check out the horses on deck) both directions we had a very successful test and came out with some great pictures, too.

C Track Left
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/seeuatx/LolaShow3.jpg

Canter Left
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/seeuatx/LolaShow5.jpg

Trot circle right
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/seeuatx/LolaShow7.jpg

Final Center Line (don't mind me- not sure what was going on there, lol)
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/seeuatx/LolaShow11.jpg

luvmydutch
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:26 PM
Seeuatx...she looks so focused and relaxed! She's beautiful great job! :)
PS that last pic made me giggle haha...although your horse does look fabulous!

alibi_18
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:47 PM
I just recently organised a dressage clinic with a judge.
At the end of the lesson, she had to judge us on a dressage test.
I did 3rd level, test 1.

I've never done a 3rd level test before. The mare has never done any dressage test... I think I tried once a 1rst level for fun at home!
I mainly train her for the hunter ring, well I do both hunter and dressage but we are in our hunter show season!
I hadn't ride in my dressage saddle in more than 2 months.

So without even trying/riding the test before, we scored 61.31! (I'm sure the judge was being nice but still...It could have been way worse! She is usually pretty tough at the shows..)

(Don't tell my hunter trainer but...can't wait for the show season to end so I can work more on my dressage!!! PSG here we come! LoL)

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:13 PM
So without even trying/riding the test before, we scored 61.31! (I'm sure the judge was being nice but still...It could have been way worse! She is usually pretty tough at the shows..)

OK, that's just not fair! :lol: (just kidding of course!)

quietann
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:12 AM
Maresy and I had our first trail ride a week ago Sunday, since her injury in winter 2010. She was an angel, other than being annoyed by the bugs and trying to steal an occasional mouthful of grass when we were in the fields (and I'm not sure I blame her; I don't know what's happened to haying this year, but that grass is tall enough that she doesn't even have to put her nose down to make a grab for it.) She got looky but not spooky at someone on a mountain bike. The rocks were tough on her barefoot hind feet so she'll get shoes on them soon.

Tonight, she was so much better than she was yesterday, where ZOMG!!!! Galloping Pony Friend Just Over the Fence caused her to lose her brains and any desire for forward that did not include a large dose of sideways. Tonight she was pretty good until she got tired.

oldernewbie
Jun. 7, 2011, 07:51 AM
Rode at a schooling show Saturday - training level tests 1, 2, and 3. The show is at a stable next to a busy bike path - showed him there 2 times last year and it made his lookie-loo self quite distracted. This year he was pretty good - first test awful, second test better, third test pretty good. Apparently baking in the sun improves his focus! DH video'd 2 of three tests and I can actually watch TL test 3 without cringing.

On to our first rated Arab show next week....goal is to have fun and learn from the experience.

BoyleHeightsKid
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:21 AM
Great thread!

Rode my goofball on Saturday. He's been having trouble with a sore back for over a year now. I think I finally have it all sorted out! I hadn't ridden him in a couple of weeks and he was a real jerk on the way home. I figured his back would be sore... nope! Not one bit!

I would have been doing back flips if I knew how!

CFFarm
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:20 AM
My hot, confused Arab went by the camels, (yes, I said camels) and peacocks without one shy or spin. He decided to trust me and go on our neighborhood ride pretty calmly.:D

netg
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:38 AM
My hot, confused Arab went by the camels, (yes, I said camels) and peacocks without one shy or spin. He decided to trust me and go on our neighborhood ride pretty calmly.:D

:lol: Nice neighborhood!

This morning the TB was good despite the mooing monsters he heard down the street. The Friesian-x was also very good, and even behaved when I took her off property for a walk afterward.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:09 PM
Started cantering my 5 yo over poles (trotting has been going well). Total non-event. :)

TheHorseProblem
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:04 PM
I took my horse back from a lease situation one month ago, not knowing if A) I could handle him myself, or B) I would be physically able to ride without pain.

I am happy to report success on both fronts.:yes:

cb06
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:36 PM
Took my new dressage project horse to his first show off the farm to see how he'd handle the 'chaos'...a busy local fun show almost entirely low hunters (in this area of Md/Northern Va., EVERYTHING is hunters ;) ), but they also have a nice hodge-podge of western and english (aka. hunter) pleasure classes going in 2 rings, so thought I'd just do a few of the pleasure classes.

I had no idea how he'd be, but he was a star! Won 3 of his 4 classes, including a tough English Command class by picking-up a counter canter from the halt (on the turn in a small ring I might add). He was better than I could have ever hoped for. Also overheard two teens from one of his classes saying 'he must be some kind of warmblood' (hee, hee!...no, he's an American Saddlebred...too funny). :)

eventgroupie2
Jun. 7, 2011, 07:43 PM
Yikes- don't think that I have ever posted in this forum before, (note username :winkgrin: ) but took my 21 year old Arabian, Willie, to my first ever horse show on Saturday - a schooling dressage show at the VA Horse Center. We got a 4th place on an Intro Test A - I think there were only 4 entries, so no claim to fame here :lol: But what we have overcome is me being 61 (today!!!) and a really timid rider, and Willie returning from three surgeries for penile cancer at age 19, Cushings brought to light during the surgeries, laminitis/founder from the steroids/surgery causing 10/12 degrees rotation and sinking in his front feet. At best, we had hoped for a pasture pet that was comfortable. What I now have is a barefoot boy who is perfectly sound enough to compete in a local dressage show. My two goals were to not fall off, and to not throw up (both met :yes: ), so the white ribbon was the icing on the cake. Looking forward to the next show in the series - may actually try breathing in and OUT :cool:

cb06
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:04 PM
My two goals were to not fall off, and to not throw up....next show... may actually try breathing in and OUT

I can relate to these goals :yes:.

Congratulations on your first outing, it's always nice to be pleasantly surprised!

johnnysauntie
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:19 PM
I love this thread. What a great bunch of stories.

I have a happy too - I got a new horse! I've had him for one week. He's a star. We both need to build fitness (he had the winter off) and we also need a new saddle but I have high hopes for my new boy. :D

netg
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:06 AM
Yikes- don't think that I have ever posted in this forum before, (note username :winkgrin: ) but took my 21 year old Arabian, Willie, to my first ever horse show on Saturday - a schooling dressage show at the VA Horse Center. We got a 4th place on an Intro Test A - I think there were only 4 entries, so no claim to fame here :lol: But what we have overcome is me being 61 (today!!!) and a really timid rider, and Willie returning from three surgeries for penile cancer at age 19, Cushings brought to light during the surgeries, laminitis/founder from the steroids/surgery causing 10/12 degrees rotation and sinking in his front feet. At best, we had hoped for a pasture pet that was comfortable. What I now have is a barefoot boy who is perfectly sound enough to compete in a local dressage show. My two goals were to not fall off, and to not throw up (both met :yes: ), so the white ribbon was the icing on the cake. Looking forward to the next show in the series - may actually try breathing in and OUT :cool:

That's HUGE! Congratulations! And best wishes for continued health and soundness for both of you!

johnnysauntie - I'm loving reading about your new horse in your blog! Good luck with the saddle fitter. :)

ACP
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:35 AM
Show this past weekend with the following results and scores:

Training level Test 2, ATR - 3rd, 63.571%
Training level Test 3, ATR - 2nd, 66.400%
Training level Test 2, ATR - 1st, 68.929%
Training level Test 3, ATR - 1st, 67.600%

This was an Arabian show, AHA/USEF/USDF recognized. We are so proud of my gelding!