PDA

View Full Version : bring leashed small (20 lb) dog to Rubicon?

barnworkbeatshousework
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:17 PM
Anyone know if it is okay to bring my small 20 lb dog with me on Saturday to Rubicon? (I keep her on a leash, ALWAYS!) Never been out there and wanted to stretch her legs, and mine. She comes to the barn with me every now and then, so she is fine around the horses, but I want to take her out to more public events. Thanks.

asterix
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:26 PM
yes.
I bring my 85 lb dog to Rubicon all the time. He's coming on Saturday.
He has been out on xc jump judging with me, and running stadium warmup with me, and of course as a furry groom, all at Rubicon.

It'll be fine, lots of folks will have dogs. Leash yes, otherwise no worries.

barnworkbeatshousework
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:32 PM
fantastic! She sits in a townhouse too much, she needs to get out, smell/see other dogs, thought the venue would be perfect. Thanks!

yellowbritches
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
My 60lb dog practically considers Rubicon and the environs surrounding it a second home. Bring the pup, it'll be fine. Bring a leash and make sure you have a way of giving it water.

PS- NO RETRACTABLE LEASHES. Please. Those things are horrible accidents waiting to happen even just for city street walking...they are death traps for dogs, horses, and humans alike at horse shows.

oldenmare
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:39 PM
Just wanted to confirm what Yellowbritches said about retractable leashes - they are HIGHLY DANGEROUS devices!

I had a <20 lb beagle puppy wrap one of those around my leg at a show (not my dog) - the leash rope-burned my ankle (through jeans) to the point of needing medical attention - the Doctor said I was lucky that no tendons were damaged.

I can't/don't want to imagine the damage done to a horse by one of those damn leashes.

barnworkbeatshousework
Jun. 7, 2011, 05:28 PM
thanks, oldenmare and yellowbritches! No retractable leashes, I hate the damn things! I usually use a lead line, or a lunge line so she can stretch her legs, where there are no horses around.

Thankfully, Wed and Thurs seem to be the worse of this heat wave and it looks like the temps will cool down by Saturday, I'm looking forward to it (husband and two kiddles have even agreed to come along, we're packing a picnic, making a family day of it...always a good sign of support when the family wants to join you at a local HT, right?!!)

riverpup
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:16 PM
Rubicon is such a beautiful place to enjoy eventing. Hope you have a great day!