PDA

View Full Version : Equistar boots - anyone have?

mortebella
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:26 PM
What are your experiences with this "all weather" synthetic boot? How well does it turn water? I'm not talking about trout fishing in it, but not having to change into wellies to bath your horse that kind of thing. And lifespan? How well do they wear?

TIA.

foreverdreaming
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:12 PM
I had synthetic boots about five years ago when I was starting out riding. I guess they are fine for rainy days when you don't want to ruin nicer boots, but they don't last that long. I used them in my beginer lessons and on trail rides when it was muddy out, but they won't last for everyday wear-and-tear. Overall I personally would not reccomend them other than an occasional
after-ride bath. Waste of time/money/hassle when they will fall apart with constant use. Plus, they aren't comfortable!
My Ariats are great though because they are washable, and thus water-safe (though not water-proof). I just hose 'em down after a muddy day, and they are fine. They last a long time, and are comfortable.

That's just my opinion though.

mortebella
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:06 PM
Which ariats do you have that are washable, the Breezes?

Thanks!

BAC
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:38 PM
Our local tack shop used to sell a lot of the Equistar synthetic paddock boots to small children because they were cheap ($29) and were constantly outgrowing them. They looked so uncomfortable, were made of a very stiff plastic-y type material. Whenever a parent gave a child the option of a slightly more expensive, real leather boot, the kids always mentioned how much more comfortable they were. I wouldn't recommend them except for occasional wear.

pryme_thyme
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:53 PM
I had the equistar field boots for schooling... had them for 3 years though I wore my leather boots 50% of the time and my winters in fall/ winter...

These boots held up fairly well.... the dye rubbed off the inside of the boot within a year. Zippers split twice before I gave up and bought some of the new Mountain horse field boots.

For an inexpensive boot they were good, but the saying you get what you pay for holds true.

Initially the boot was VERY stiff and little padding for your foot. Took a good two months of full time riding before I didn't get any blisters behind my knees.

If you are willing to spend a little more go for the Mountain horse field boot. They are better than my Ariats.

foreverdreaming
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:31 PM
Which ariats do you have that are washable, the Breezes?

Thanks!

Yeah, I have the Breezes. Not sure about other people's experiences, but I adore mine. I think they are perfect for schooling, and look great. Every once in a while, I just just use some leather conditioner to keep the leather nice. And whenever they get dirty, you can either wash them under the hose and towel dry them, or use a wet cloth to wipe them down. They still look really great! I think they are worth the extra money.