PDA

View Full Version : Critique my test? First Level - Second Test

PiaffeN'Passage
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:21 PM
Background: I've had the horse for nearly 3 years, he will be 14 in 2 weeks. He is an ArabXFriesian, under consistent riding for 3 years. Before that, trail horse being ridden 1-2 times a year, walk trot ONLY.

Imperious easily school's third level at home, works in the double and snaffle. Is a very anxious horse at shows, so I usually only do about 1 or 2 a year. Possibly will show Third Level test 1 at my next show since he warmed up great in the double.

We did end up getting a 62% on this test, automatic first cause I was the only JR riding this test. This was a schooling show, under a judge I have ridden under a few other times.

http://youtu.be/IGy5rI9YrkY

Feel free to ask questions, or give any feedback.

From what I see, I have to work on lengthening his neck, keeping him straight, and just more overall balanced so his 15 meter circles stay within my boundaries and his canter transitions stay honest.

Pocket Pony
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:59 PM
I love his expression and his pricked ears.:D

Not going to critique as I couldn't watch the whole thing with all the shakiness. ;)

Congratulations on a good show!

NorCalDressage
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:00 PM
Really neat horse. I think he has a lot of talent.

I couldn't see all parts of the test well, especially when you were at the end of the arena, but...

The big areas I think you lost points in this test were the problem in the first halt, the free walk & the dropping out of canter in the right canter work.

The 62% doesn't reflect his quality, so you have a lot of room to go up with this horse, IMO. But the overall issues in the general work that I see are;

1) Not 100% accepting of the contact. He needs to be more connected over the back and coming to the contact. He looks like the shortness is sometimes because he is backed off of the bit or ducking behind it. He looks good behind but needs to be more connected over the whole topline.

2) He is overbent in the second LY in the test. This is causing the left shoulder to pop out and the hind legs to trail in the LY.

3) His canter appears really nice. He is more connected over the back in this gait vs. the trot.

4) The not being 100% accepting in the contact shows itself in the free walk.

I'm not commenting on your position at all - I was only really focusing on the horse. I think working on getting him more working from your inside leg to outside rein will get him more connected over the back. Lots of LY and SI to work on this. And the canter work, because he appears to be better in this gait, which is interesting considering this is a weak point for both breeds. These need to get ironed out before moving up, because this general work on the test could be getting you an additonal point or two on each movement. Not to mention will make a big difference in the collective marks.

I would hesitate to move him into the double until he is more accepting of the bridle/contact in the snaffle.

Would you mind posting his Arabian & Friesian lines - just curious.

in_the_zone
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
It is hard to see minor details, so I will focus on the one major one that I saw throughout the test. You said you need a longer neck, and although that's true, it's more than that. He, like many of the high-necked breeds, does not let go at the base of the neck. This is quite apparent in his lack of stretch in the free walk and the lack of transitions for his lengthenings in both trot and canter. To get him to go completely through and over his back, you'll need to get him to let go of the base of the neck. Accordion exercises and bending lines will help a lot executed correctly.

PiaffeN'Passage
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone! I can easily see everyone's points, and I won't try and make excuses but he does work more on the bit at home when I can confidently get him cooking! :)

Some days I think this horse has more talent then he knows what to do with, and I actually have been told by many judges and clinicians that he tends to have a better canter.

I am working with a very experienced trainer who has brought her horse all the way up to GP.

I am in no ways going to rush him, but we have started the changes and canter half-passes into his normal work out (LY, SI, HI, HP). We play with the piaffe and passage from time to time to get him to really engaged as just a fun exercise.

Here are his lines:
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/neros+imperious

Dam was an absolute nothing, used only for leisurely trail riding.

Sire was a dressage horse although never really got to the top.

http://www.legendwoods.com/HorsePages/nero/001204NeroRide.jpg

Here are a few pictures of him working at home, notice the difference in his frame.

He is a horse that likes to duck out the back so we work a lot on giving him his face a bit more and really pushing him up into the bit from behind.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/68717_1423757079688_1405568897_30986130_1708365_n. jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/230929_1726937379006_1405568897_31457077_3177085_n .jpg

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:07 PM
The only suggestion I'm going to make is: If he's nervous about shows, show much more if you can. Make it a non-event! :)

I think you have the right ideas about improving and he's a lovely horse, so enjoy and keep us posted!

WILLOW&CAL
Jun. 7, 2011, 05:23 PM
He's a really lovely horse. He definitely has the best features of both breeds and you have a nice seat and a draping,long leg esp. in the photos. I would agree with in-the-zone about engagement esp. in his walk. Lots more showing for you:) and maybe a herbal calming mix added to his feed a few weeks before a show?

LarkspurCO
Jun. 7, 2011, 07:12 PM
I am a little dizzy after watching this.:eek: He looks like a nice horse from what I can tell.

You need to use the corners. You cut every corner as if you were riding in an oval. The arena has square corners for a reason. Use them.

Your horse did not stretch at all for the stretchy circle. What did the judge say about it?

I don't see a horse ready for a double or for third level, unless you are skipping the basics.

PiaffeN'Passage
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:31 PM
I am a little dizzy after watching this.:eek: He looks like a nice horse from what I can tell.

You need to use the corners. You cut every corner as if you were riding in an oval. The arena has square corners for a reason. Use them.

Your horse did not stretch at all for the stretchy circle. What did the judge say about it?

I don't see a horse ready for a double or for third level, unless you are skipping the basics.

Sorry my little sister took it. I realize I was cutting the corners down by the judge a bit, but I purposely cut the corners down by the entrance because he always is trying to sneak out.

I realize he did not stretch at all for the chewy circle and that was noted by the judge. He will go long and low at home, but he was extremely nervous and unsure so it didn't happen at the show.

Ummm, what else.

He is on a daily calming supplement and did receive a whole tube of Trytophyn before I went, but I don't really believe it did much. We are going to try and show more often, but I don't have my own trailer so I have to work with the BO's extremely hectic schedule as well.

LarkspurCO
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:05 AM
You might try giving him omeprazole (aka Gastrogard/Ulcergard) before going to a show. I have found it makes a big difference in my horse. I buy a generic version, but a 1/4 tube of Ulcergard can really help.

Regarding the corners, if you go deep into the corner you can use this to help establish bend, prepare for a medium, etc. If you're worried about him ducking out, put him in a little shoulder in on the far end and he won't be able to run out.

Even when my horse was terrified of the judge stand, I used the corners down there and a bit of shoulder in to keep him from spooking. Worked great.

Good luck with your horse.

PiaffeN'Passage
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:06 AM
You might try giving him omeprazole (aka Gastrogard/Ulcergard) before going to a show. I have found it makes a big difference in my horse. I buy a generic version, but a 1/4 tube of Ulcergard can really help.

Regarding the corners, if you go deep into the corner you can use this to help establish bend, prepare for a medium, etc. If you're worried about him ducking out, put him in a little shoulder in on the far end and he won't be able to run out.

Even when my horse was terrified of the judge stand, I used the corners down there and a bit of shoulder in to keep him from spooking. Worked great.

Good luck with your horse.

Thanks! My trainer ALWAYS uses the shoulder-in method when Imp wants to spook at something so I definitely know what you mean!

I did give him some UlcerGaurd the last show we went to. Its just SO expensive!

LarkspurCO
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:39 AM
This is what I use:

http://equine.omeprazoledirect.com/Buy

lovey1121
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:42 PM
Love him! And you are a lovely soft rider. How very brave of you to ask for critque! 1st thing I noticed after deciding he was gorgeous is not riding corners-they really are one of your best friends. I really like his trot after the canter work, and last lengthening shows yummy potential. Go show more! Both of you will gain so much in experience and confidence...you need to get to where things seem to evolve more slowly, and you can ride in the moment to correct before things go bad.

I agree w/everyone above-contact needs to be more consistent before using double bridle. I'd pack that away for a while.

Keep up the great work and GO SHOW.