PDA

View Full Version : I do not need another horse (UPDATE post #29 with pics!)

oharabear
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:42 PM
Scenario: friend asks if I would consider selling her my bombproof, steady-eddie trail horse (who HATES dressage and, quite frankly, is probably never going to progress past Intro due to his terrible, almost non-existent canter). I happen to be trying to downsize my herd, since I'm about ready to graduate college and am busy with my clinical rotations and such. My horses are all currently sitting in pasture getting fat. No problem, she can just HAVE the horse. She's a fabulous home, I'm friends with her so I'd get updates, couldn't ask for a better place for him.

Then, she asks if I would want to trade for her dressage prospect, whom I have been secretly coveting since the day she got him. He grew too tall for her, she has no desire to ride him, he is GORGEOUS, naturally fabulous gaits, great personality, etc. Horse of my dreams.

Logically, I realize I should be downsizing and being responsible as I change careers and all. But this horse is cool.

If I don't take him, I'd be saving lots of money. If I do, it wont COST me anything, since I already pay for 4 horses, I budget for 4 horses, and I'm just trading straight across.

I don't have time to work ANY of my critters right now. BUT, I graduate in September, and a summer off has never killed a horse, has it? He can chill in the pasture all summer and be ready to start training in the fall.

But if I take him, 3 of my 4 horses will be Greenies. That's a lot of green-beans to have at once, even if I don't mind riding green horses. That's a lot of riding horses in general. but then again, I'm still actively trying to sell one other one, so I'd be down to 3...

ARGH! What to do?? I don't *need* him, I just *want* him. But is that enough to justify taking on another young horse at this time in my life?

DutchDressageQueen
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:47 PM
Take the trade for the dressage prospect, and sell one of the other horses you have, so you will stay at 3 horses. :)

Petstorejunkie
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:51 PM
If I were your mom (I'm way too young to be any adult's mom, but anyhow) I'd say you can have this fabulous prospect if you get rid of one more. So bye trail horsey, and bye one other, then hello yummy dressage prospect. :yes:

oharabear
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:55 PM
Well, I am planning on selling my pony, too. Too small for me. Very hunter-y. She needs to go be someone's beloved hunter pony. I just haven't been marketing her that hard. :lol: Maybe I should step it up?

paulaedwina
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:55 PM
Definitely go for it. You'll make the time. That's life. And like you said; it's not costing you more.

Paula

ManyDogs
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:06 PM
You don't want an answer from me. :D
I just got my 10th dog a couple weeks ago. :D
Why do you ask these questions on a COTH forum? :lol::lol::lol:

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:22 PM
I have a hard time fitting one and a half jobs and ONE green (dream-) horse in my week, let alone 3 greenies. But I also have to drive an hour to the barn and another hour back...

If you're not opposed to selling one (or more) of your others to keep your life sane and have wonderful dressage prospect?? I'll enable you too! :)

oharabear
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:32 PM

Because I need enablers on my side! One of my best/closest barn friends is very adamant and vocal that I shouldn't do it. And she has valid points, but I thought my reasoning was pretty sound, too... ?

Although of course she is really fond of borrowing my trail horse to take her beginner husband out riding. Maybe she's mostly upset that she's losing the only horse in the barn her hubby ISN'T scared of? I'm not sure if she realizes that he's leaving no matter what...

mojo7777
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:48 PM
There really isn't any question here...:).

MyssMyst
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:12 AM
I'm enabling. Do it!

xQHDQ
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:30 AM
Take the trade for the dressage prospect, and sell one of the other horses you have, so you will stay at 3 horses. :)

This.

Spud&Saf
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:01 PM
Because I need enablers on my side! One of my best/closest barn friends is very adamant and vocal that I shouldn't do it. And she has valid points, but I thought my reasoning was pretty sound, too... ?

Although of course she is really fond of borrowing my trail horse to take her beginner husband out riding. Maybe she's mostly upset that she's losing the only horse in the barn her hubby ISN'T scared of? I'm not sure if she realizes that he's leaving no matter what...

Friendship is not a bar to jealousy. :yes:

kinnip
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:08 PM
Sell pony, trade trail horse, love the green.

LarkspurCO
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:24 PM
I think you really *need* this horse. Yep, you neeeed him.

dressagedevon
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:35 PM
I am going to enable also!!! If you have secretly wanted him since you first saw him, and now is your chance for an even trade!!! HELLO is there any question here???? The number will still be four so that wont effect money, and no it will not kill a horse to have a summer off, (mine all had last summer off it was to bloody hot for me). Then sell one of the others, it really is no different than having one for sale and it not selling quickly so you have to sit on it for awhile, right?:yes::yes::yes: You would still have four for awhile.

caper
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:42 AM
There really isn't any question here...:).

What she said...^:yes::winkgrin:

KateKat
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:08 PM
I know, whats the question? Oh, what you should name your new pony perhaps? ;)

DO EEEEEET!!

MyssMyst
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:13 PM
I know, whats the question? Oh, what you should name your new pony perhaps? ;)

DO EEEEEET!!

This!

judybigredpony
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:14 PM
Have you ridden this horse?

Would he pass a vetting?

Will he be able to live the 24/7 turn-out life style?

Sounds like a very lopesided trade and I would have questions...............

JCS
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a very lopsided trade and I would have questions...............

Ditto to this. Why would she give you her awesome dressage prospect basically for free? That is, is there something wrong with him that she hasn't disclosed? Make sure that's not the case first, and then snatch him up.

joiedevie99
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
Do the trade, and actively market the hunter pony.

Heinz 57
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:32 PM
If you don't take him, send him to me! :lol:

I just sold one. I have two left. One is for sale, and I've conveniently found a young fancy prospect for an extremely good price. I should *really* stop checking craigslist.

suzy
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:39 PM
You don't want an answer from me. :D
I just got my 10th dog a couple weeks ago. :D

I was going to suggest that you should change your screen name, but it sounds like you'd have to do that on a regular basis to keep up! ;)

And ditto your question! :lol:

snbess
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
Or don't sell the other horse/pony, but give her away. Easier perhaps than selling in this market and it would drop you down to the 3 horses you wanted to get to. But you do need to trade for the dressage prospect. He sounds yummy! And he seems to be what you're looking for.

meaty ogre
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:44 PM
OP -
Trade 2 of yours for her prospect, and then you don't have to worry about selling another. Give her the pony...she won't have to worry about that one getting to tall for her! :)

And 3dogfarm, I just checked and 10dogfarm is available as a screen name. Hurry!

luvmydutch
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:04 PM
ugh 3 greenies? Will you be not working or going to school at all for a year while they get going? green horses really need alot of consistency the first year under saddle...seems like 2 would be max for the average person to give their undivided attention and best start. I say if you want this greenie THAT bad, get yourself down to 2 greenies tops (and i think 2 horses: 1 person is the max...i also think 1 cat:1person is max but i know others will disagree haha)...i like to make sure if i have an animal i do my best to give it the best life. Good luck (post pics!!) :)

CuteArabHunter
Jun. 8, 2011, 07:04 PM
This is what I was going to suggest!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

By the way, [in a personal message!] please tell me more about this hunter pony you have:winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin: !!!! And yes, I'm actually serious! Please do.

The Hobbit
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:34 PM
I too am of the opinion that there is noo real question here. :winkgrin: Of course I did just purchased horse number 3 yesterday before selling one....oops. :eek: Mine is also a project; a relatively undertrained 9 year olf Freestyle son. I just couldn't pass up his disposition and great gates. doh.

oharabear
Jun. 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
Okay, I got him. As if anyone doubted that I would. :rolleyes::lol:

I agree- I'm going to try to actively market the pony. Plus, my 2-year-old wont be started for at least another year (probably longer- he's turning out to be a late bloomer), so he can sit in the pasture and finish growing up while I play with my newest addition:

Pics:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/jworley20/31987_1387810215431_1237324200_31170179_7919402_n. jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/jworley20/61346_1480344208723_1237324200_31402952_3081911_n. jpg

I'll be getting him and sending off my trail horse sometime in the next few weeks.

HCF
Jun. 10, 2011, 07:11 PM
Wise choice. He is lovely!

Piaffe11
Jun. 11, 2011, 12:58 AM
He's gorgeous! Seems like the trade worked out well on both ends ;) Congrats!

MyssMyst
Jun. 11, 2011, 01:13 AM
He is gorgeous!

shiloh
Jun. 11, 2011, 01:46 AM
Yum! He is a stunner! Lucky you.

Horse with No Name
Jun. 11, 2011, 02:08 AM
*like* :D

Did you do the trade or do you still have the horse that your other friend likes for her husband to ride? If so she can buy/lease him for her husband = win/win

If you did trade, I don't see it as a lopsided trade = you have a horse your friend wants, and she has a horse you *might like to have*... I traded a very good QH for a very good TB mare with a relative, it suited both of us at the time and worked very well, most of my friends wondered why I would do the trade but they weren't the ones fielding the calls re meanie beanie bully QH beating up someone else's horse and he needed work work work which I couldn't give him.

Either way, noice!! :D