PDA

View Full Version : Riding Camps?

lucyeq
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:09 PM
I can't seem to find any serious overnight riding camps. When I say serious, I mean like intense training for A show riders. I've been to Camp Friendship and done their riding program (lots of fun. definitely reccommend it), but I was looking for something more intense. Does anyone know of any? H/J and equitation. Preferably towards the east coast. Thank you!

Rel6
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:32 PM
Maybe look at the more intense riding-geared boarding schools and see if they do a summer session? Sorry, no other suggestions.

lucyeq
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:54 PM
Good idea. Thanks!

SkipChange
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:48 PM
Try a college with an equestrian team. I know some offer some fairly intense camps.

AffirmedHope
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:53 PM
William Woods has a pretty intense summer camp. They don't show but they get the same instruction that the riders in college get when prepping for A shows.

The Grier School in PA actually has intense session that does lots of shows and even an A show I believe.

http://www.bestcamp.org/2011-session-and-fees

horseluver1
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:44 PM
2d Grier..they do go to alot of rated shows and has a wonderful summer program.

buschkn
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:13 AM
I HIGHLY recommend Longacres Riding Camp outside Buffalo NY (East Aurora). I went for 4 years as a child and early teen and you will ride and learn a TON. All they do is ride ride ride. It was my first foray into jumpers, and Tom Krantz the director is a super coach. They always have a variety of horses to ride, some of which are great, some of which probably aren't, but either way you'll be riding and learning all the time. It is a smaller camp, so lots of lessons and individual time.

It's been years since I was there, but it looks like not much has changed over the years, and the focus is still on non-stop riding for horse crazy kids interested in HJ.

Event4Life
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:39 AM
Grier (www.bestcamp.org) is probably your best bet, and I've either attended as a camper or worked at a lot of equestrian camps in PA/VA. But, TBH, summer camps are generally not designed for training A show riders because the A show riders will be showing their own ponies/in their own programme at home all summer, not going to summer camp. I would not recommend Camp Friendship if you want to do any serious riding, and I do not really like the "camp" side of Camp Friendship either.

If you can go abroad, www.yrc.co.uk in Yorkshire, England does an amazing camp program that is about as intense as I've ever seen/experienced myself. You can also PM SaturdayNightLive on here about the camp as she attended as a camper the summer I was at YRC. I was a Working Student, so not a camper, but was there all summer and campers seemed to love it. You get a lot more freedom at YRC than you would at American style camps too.

If you want a really fun/amazing summer camp experience with a good riding program, try www.seagull-seafarer.org in North Carolina. There is a waiting list so you wont be able to go this summer...I think I waited two summers for a place. Their riding program is attached to St. Andrew's College in NC, where they get their horses and instructors from. The head instructor when I was there had shown/trained riders on the A Circuit her whole life.

For non serious A showing but amazing camps nonetheless try Camp Strawderman (if you can do rustic I HIGHLY recommend www.campstrawderman.com, I had some of the best summers of my life here). They do have riding, but its also a very traditional girls summer camp. You ride every day and riders who are deemed capable of jumping jump every other afternoon. Good enough riders also do early morning trail rides & the occasional afternoon ride, which are great fun, a few times a week. www.foxcroft.org also has a camp with an intensive riding program, campers ride outside, jump, etc & are supervised at the barn doing chores in the afternoon. You can bring your own pony to Foxcroft & I brought mine to Strawderman but I'm not sure if they still allow that.

Please feel free to PM me about any of these options, I will gladly talk you through them and offer further opinions...All of the camps I have mentioned I have either attended as a camper, or WS (YRC), or instructed at as a counselor. I would not hesitate to send anyone to any of them, but which one you choose depends on what your goals/expectations are.

kayteedee
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:47 AM
An awesome all-discipline geared sleepaway camp is Willow Hill Farm in Keeseville NY. I have no idea whether they have any spots left.

Here is their website: www.willowhillfarm.com

They do go to some shows, mainly in VT, but are more geared toward eventing. They have a terrific program and their school/camp horses are VERY high quality.

Remember, the best eq/hunter rider is someone who can do EVERYTHING. This is straight out of GM's book.

Bearbie
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
As a kid I attended Forrestel Farm Camp in Medina, New York for many years (~30 min. from Buffalo). While perhaps not geared for A show riders only, they offer a program for campers to ride twice a day. I received quality instruction and always had a wonderful horse to ride. There was plenty of jumping lessons and opportunities to school over a cross country course, and trail rides that usually end with a swim on your horses back in a pond. I competed regularly on the A circuit growing up and always loved taking a break to attend summer camp and get some new riding experiences.

DNB
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:59 PM
Auburn University and Tennessee-Martin have riding camps. AU's is INTENSE. The coach is a great guy though. Don't know much about Tennessee-Martin's.

musicinmotion101
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:03 PM
Auburn University and Tennessee-Martin have riding camps. AU's is INTENSE. The coach is a great guy though. Don't know much about Tennessee-Martin's.

so does University of South Carolina, i think it's more of a clinic though, not 100% sure. I'm sure you could find it with some research though

lucyeq
Jun. 7, 2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely look into them.

STA
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:39 PM
A West Coast recommendation, Foxfield in Westlake Village, CA.

BLBGP
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:10 PM
A second for Foxfield: http://www.foxfield.com/camp/camp/foxfield-summer-camp.html

mepkkg
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:55 PM
A second for Grier. They have regular sessions as well as show camper sessions that attend local A shows in the area. There is the option of bringing your own horse or riding one of the school's horses and they have a good range of nice horses/ponies. Definitely try and contact them sooner than later, they fill up fast!