PDA

View Full Version : My Awesome Craig's List Find

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:15 PM
I'm beyond thrilled. (http://anyplacefarm.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/guess-what-i-bought-this-weekend/)

shakeytails
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:05 PM
Lucky you! About the only time I'd find something like that would be when I didn't have a dime to spare.

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:12 PM
Lucky you! About the only time I'd find something like that would be when I didn't have a dime to spare.

Usually the case for me too. But, this time, all the planets were aligned. I get a kick out of the fact that it is cheaper than the saddle that I covet.

sdlbredfan
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:18 PM
Wow! That is an amazing deal.

LLDM
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:26 PM
Sigh. I'd love me a real horse van.

Enjoy!

SCFarm

Kate66
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:08 AM
Post some photos of the interior. I would love to see inside. Looks like a bargain!

goosejumps
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:44 AM
great find!!! :) looking forward to the "after" photos!

Liberty
Jun. 6, 2011, 03:21 AM

SCFarm

Central VA Horse Rescue has one for sale! Classic Imperatore 6-horse. All it needs is a little sprucing up:
http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2416437483.html
:cool:

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:25 AM
Post some photos of the interior. I would love to see inside. Looks like a bargain!
Won't have interior photos for some time since it is 2.5 hrs away from me until I can get a truck to put it on. Not sure how long that search will take. But I'll definitely share when I have something.

Mtn trails
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:01 PM
There was a 2 horse van for sale around here some months ago. It looked in very good condition and really wanted to get it but it's not very practical for me, plus it was out of my price range @ $8,000. Enjoy yours!

back in the saddle
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:50 PM
How does that work? It's not a goosneck is it?

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:33 PM
No, it is a box and you set that box down on a chassis. The peak, that nose out front there, that hangs over the cab of the truck. So, basically like your average UHaul. Don't let the view of that weird little wheel in the background fool you. That's the wheel of another vehicle in the back so that might be confusing you.

This is a box that you mount on a chassis, which is how all horse vans are made. One guy makes the box, and GM, Chevrolet, International, Dodge, Ford, whoever, makes the truck and you set the box down on it.

Puddin Pie
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:59 PM
I went to Camp Yohnalossee (name on the side of the van) as a kid-all girls camp in mountains of NC, not too far from Boone. It has long since closed, but the stables remained, under the same name. If I am not mistaken and remembering correctly, Carol Lavall used to summer there (and may still do so). So very off topic, and rambly, but cool to see that name again!

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:35 AM
I went to Camp Yohnalossee (name on the side of the van) as a kid-all girls camp in mountains of NC, not too far from Boone. It has long since closed, but the stables remained, under the same name. If I am not mistaken and remembering correctly, Carol Lavall used to summer there (and may still do so). So very off topic, and rambly, but cool to see that name again!
Does the van look familiar?

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:23 PM
I just looked for a horse trailer on Craigs List and saw several trailers that were about 10 years old with asking prices about $500 less than what I can buy them brand new for. Ya right!

So pooooh! I'm jealous.

trubandloki
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:26 PM
Great find!

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:47 PM
I just looked for a horse trailer on Craigs List and saw several trailers that were about 10 years old with asking prices about $500 less than what I can buy them brand new for. Ya right!

So pooooh! I'm jealous.
It really is absurd, the asking price for these things. I think it is because there is no 'Blue Book' on them like we have with autos.

I looked at a van the same size as this one that was sitting on a nearly 20 year old truck and the asking price was $28.5K! Shoot - when you run a search on the truck by its self on the sales sites, that year/model of truck is selling for between $4K-6K! Soooooo - does that mean the box is worth $22.5K? I'm just not seein' it! If that's the case, I'll give my box a bath and a fresh coat of varnish and flip it for a $20K profit! (not like I'm gonna do that, though...) The prices on those things is ridiculous.

Calamber
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hi Jana! I feel like I am a lifetime away from when I last spoke with you, and definitely we are a continent away. You are one of those kinds of people, just when I need to see your engaging, encouraging, outgoing spirit, there you are! In any case, check out the GSA online auctions, you just might find the truck you are looking for at a price you can write another blogbook about! Click on vehicles, then click on trucks. I saw a nice GM in Pa that might work for you. I love these vans!

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/

Just don't go buying that lighthouse I have my heart set on!

Keep up the spirit and if you have it available, can you send pics of the Justin collage to me at amberva@live.com.

BTW those drawings are spectacular!

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi Jana! I feel like I am a lifetime away from when I last spoke with you, and definitely we are a continent away. You are one of those kinds of people, just when I need to see your engaging, encouraging, outgoing spirit, there you are! In any case, check out the GSA online auctions, you just might find the truck you are looking for at a price you can write another blogbook about! Click on vehicles, then click on trucks. I saw a nice GM in Pa that might work for you. I love these vans!

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/

Just don't go buying that lighthouse I have my heart set on!

Keep up the spirit and if you have it available, can you send pics of the Justin collage to me at amberva@live.com.

BTW those drawings are spectacular!
OMG! What a nice thing to say! Yeesh! Your post really cheered me up so it's workin' both ways!

What an awesome link! I will dig in there and see what I can find. Promise, I won't touch the lighthouse.

Am going to email you offline... we clearly need to catch up! Really nice to hear from you....

Calamber
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:11 AM
Keep checking back on that GSA link, the truck I saw this am was not there in the pm. Inventory changes all of the time.

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:47 AM
Keep checking back on that GSA link, the truck I saw this am was not there in the pm. Inventory changes all of the time.
What an awesome site! I will definitely haunt it. I did see a Sterling truck in there under Cars and SUVs - it is actually a mid-duty truck. But it has airbrakes which require a CDL to operate.

What a site! I looked under several different categories... I want one of those 2-seater electric Fords!! NIFTY! Very Jetson-esque!

blaster
Jun. 8, 2011, 05:48 PM

Enjoy!

SCFarm

Here's an 1982 3 horse, $6K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-International-3-Horse-Van-Frank-Dibella-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem23115e9999QQitemZ15061 5267737QQptZMotorsQ5fTrailers

blaster
Jun. 8, 2011, 05:56 PM
What an awesome site! I will definitely haunt it. I did see a Sterling truck in there under Cars and SUVs - it is actually a mid-duty truck. But it has airbrakes which require a CDL to operate.

Congrats! I just got done with a resto on mine this year and here are some lessons learned:

1) Yes, you will need a medium-duty truck chassis. Look for 550/650s (e.g Chevy C6500s, Ford F-650s, etc)

2) If you can find a low-profile chassis, super double bonus points as it will lower the ramp angle.

3) The roof construction on the vans tend to be very odd. I chased a leak, until I replaced the entire front peak.

4) The place you will notice the most bang for your buck is the ramp. Spend some time and/or $$ on the ramp if it does not roll smoothly. You will learn to hate the damn rig if the ramp is old school wood, the rollers are shot, etc.

5) While the project seems simple, it's not cheap. Prepare for 30-40% overrun.

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:50 PM
Here's an 1982 3 horse, $6K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-International-3-Horse-Van-Frank-Dibella-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem23115e9999QQitemZ15061 5267737QQptZMotorsQ5fTrailers
That van looks bad@ss! The box is in BEAUTIFUL shape!

Somebody will snap that up. I'm aiming for a truck no more than 10 years old this time. Had one that was 27 yrs old back in the day and could never get that thing right, no matter how much $ I sunk into it. I drew the line when it caught on fire. We called it the Big Green Beast. I sold it on eBay for $1000 to a guy in TX who just wanted it for the box. He sent a guy to put it on a flatbed and off they went into the sunset with me yelling, "Don't let the door hitcha in the @ss!"

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:53 PM
Congrats! I just got done with a resto on mine this year and here are some lessons learned:

1) Yes, you will need a medium-duty truck chassis. Look for 550/650s (e.g Chevy C6500s, Ford F-650s, etc)

2) If you can find a low-profile chassis, super double bonus points as it will lower the ramp angle.

3) The roof construction on the vans tend to be very odd. I chased a leak, until I replaced the entire front peak.

4) The place you will notice the most bang for your buck is the ramp. Spend some time and/or $$ on the ramp if it does not roll smoothly. You will learn to hate the damn rig if the ramp is old school wood, the rollers are shot, etc.

5) While the project seems simple, it's not cheap. Prepare for 30-40% overrun.
Excellent advice. So, do certain vehicles just come with lo-pro chassis? In other words, an F-550 should be automatically lower than say an International 4300, right? Or, do they all come with different chassis height options?

I see you are in the DC metro area - same as me. Who did your resto?

Also, I found this (http://fleetequine.com/used-horse-va...arts-for-sale/).... will likely use them to buy a few things.

blaster
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:06 PM
While there may be minor differences in the medium-duty trucks, a low-profile is actually an "option" which includes lower frame rails and different rims.

karlymacrae
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:06 AM
I am so intrigued by all of these horse boxes. There's a farm about 3 mins away from mine with one that just sits in the front parking lot. I've been gawking over it for like, 5 years. I WILL own one. I swear on it. How I would just LOVE to roll up to an aa show in one of those babies!!

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:42 AM
While there may be minor differences in the medium-duty trucks, a low-profile is actually an "option" which includes lower frame rails and different rims.
Ahhh, good to know. Do you mind sharing the name of the company who did your resto?

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:42 AM
I am so intrigued by all of these horse boxes. There's a farm about 3 mins away from mine with one that just sits in the front parking lot. I've been gawking over it for like, 5 years. I WILL own one. I swear on it. How I would just LOVE to roll up to an aa show in one of those babies!!

They are pretty cool...

pegasusmom
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:51 AM
Anyplace - can't help you with chassis and such, but I know Tempe Bennett - and as previously reported the saddle club was in Boone NC. Tempe was in the Greensboro area last time I checked. Her son played polocrosse with mine , daughter is a dressage rider of some talent.

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:43 AM
Well, tell her her old boy is up here with me. Well, not yet, he's in DE right now...

arena run
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:04 AM
I didn't know such things existed. <-)

Other than the "cool" factor... what benefits do horse vans have over trailers?

Here's what I could come up with on my own.

Pros:
Single vehicle, therefore turns are much easier.
Maybe a better ride for the horses. ??? Maybe not, would depend on the quality of the trailer.
Those big trucks were built to last.

Cons:
Those big trucks do NOT look like they were built for ease of driving or for comfort.
No where to store tack (that I saw) other than the peak, which looks hard to get to
You can't. use the truck to haul other items so you end up w/the horse van, a "hauling" truck, and a car if daily gas mileage is important to you.

They do look intriguing, but I think I'll stick w/my 250 and 4horse slant weekender. :D

blaster
Jun. 9, 2011, 12:52 PM
Well, my rig drives just about comparably to my 3/4 ton truck. I do quite of a lot of hauling myself to lessons and parks, where I can easily manuever down country roads or park in small parking lots for state parks. Mine also has a Caterpiller diesel engine, so it purrs like a kitten and is every bit of comfortable drivewise. Also since there are two fewer axles, you hit a bump 2 less times!

I L.O.A.T.H.E hitching trailers. Not that I couldn't do it quickly, but it was a task I hated. And judging by the amount of bent tail gates, and broken rear glass there are many stories from others.

On the topic of horse van, truck and car, I would contend it is the same as trailer, truck and car. The van cost was less than the cost of the comparable 2+1 trailer I was considering. So either way, you are paying for 3 items--the only difference if you prefer to call the third a "van" or "trailer".

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:39 PM
Here's what I want a van (it'll be the second I've owned):

My barn has a very small parking lot. I see my barn mate with her 2 horse struggle to park her trailer and once her trailer is parked (it is one of 2 in our lot). I'm handy as hell with a truck and trailer but haven't parked one in there yet. My friend who is did have to back hers up in there when she dropped my horse off for me and it was a b*tch even for her!

With a truck and trailer, you are tagging, paying taxes on, inspecting, paying insurance on, maintaining, parking two vehicles. Drag.

You are right in that there is no where to store tack but that's what those Craftsman trunks with wheels are for. Once you are loaded, you haul that up the ramp and park it in the free space. Once home, you haul it into barn in one piece.

When you have a horse trailer with a dressing room, you are hauling all of that stuff in and out of a dressing room in several trips. I'm all about efficiency.

I'm not a fan of bumper pulls on long trips on interstates either. Vans do ride better for the horses - many have spring or air suspension, unlike trailers. The horses like the ride backwards on them. When you brake, they can sit on their hocks instead of get dumped on their front ends or on one shoulder.

In crappy weather, they are wonderful to work off. Providing you have decent lighting installed (I'll be updating mine), you can easily tack up right in the box and wait until the bitter end to unload, completely tacked up. The horses stand crossed tied on chains in their stalls while you do this, rather than having to be tied next to your trailer.

I dig 'em.

arena run
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:08 PM
Here's what I want a van (it'll be the second I've owned):

My barn has a very small parking lot. I see my barn mate with her 2 horse struggle to park her trailer and once her trailer is parked (it is one of 2 in our lot). I'm handy as hell with a truck and trailer but haven't parked one in there yet. My friend who is did have to back hers up in there when she dropped my horse off for me and it was a b*tch even for her!

With a truck and trailer, you are tagging, paying taxes on, inspecting, paying insurance on, maintaining, parking two vehicles. Drag.

You are right in that there is no where to store tack but that's what those Craftsman trunks with wheels are for. Once you are loaded, you haul that up the ramp and park it in the free space. Once home, you haul it into barn in one piece.

When you have a horse trailer with a dressing room, you are hauling all of that stuff in and out of a dressing room in several trips. I'm all about efficiency.

I'm not a fan of bumper pulls on long trips on interstates either. Vans do ride better for the horses - many have spring or air suspension, unlike trailers. The horses like the ride backwards on them. When you brake, they can sit on their hocks instead of get dumped on their front ends or on one shoulder.

In crappy weather, they are wonderful to work off. Providing you have decent lighting installed (I'll be updating mine), you can easily tack up right in the box and wait until the bitter end to unload, completely tacked up. The horses stand crossed tied on chains in their stalls while you do this, rather than having to be tied next to your trailer.

I dig 'em.

Sounds like your really do like yours!!!!! <lol>

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 9, 2011, 04:11 PM
Sounds like your really do like yours!!!!! <lol>
Well, I don't have it yet but I used to have a 5-horse and I liked that.

Have also pulled 2 horse bumper pull, gooseneck and a 6 horse gooseneck stock trailer. Surprisingly, liked the stock trailer the best. Very easy to do on one's own - the whole loading/unloading part. But vans are easy to do by yourself as well. Since I am at a small barn of 5 horses, and likely I'll be the only one showing, I'll be by myself a lot.

LLDM
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the links, guys! Unfortunately, we made the van vs trailer choice a while back. We have a dually and a 2 + 1 GN w/dress. So, while I LOVE the vans, they were not a practical alternative for us.

We have a farm of a pretty decent size, so the truck has to work for a living, not just tow. But if I EVER win the lottery, I will have myself a beautiful white and green Interpretor 6/8 (really a 6 head to head) to drive around in and to do nothing but sit around and look pretty the rest of the time! (It would match my barn! :yes::sadsmile:)

In the mean time I will happily remain being completely jealous of the OP, but only in the nicest, most flattering way. :winkgrin: I do hope she'll keep us up to date on the their progress of this project! At least I can live vicariously! :D

SCFarm

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 10, 2011, 11:22 AM
Thank you for the interest, LLDM! I do actually have an update! I am SO STOKED to be headed to look at a truck this weekend! These things are indeed hard to find in great condition, low-ish miles, low profile, so on and so on. The one I'm looking at checks all the boxes!!!

I've also already lined up the shop where I'll take the van (whole unit) for its cleaning, etc. Great hook up through a friend.

Should have pictures soon!

YAY!

LLDM
Jun. 12, 2011, 10:57 AM
Did you find a truck?

SCFarm

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
Did you find a truck?

SCFarm
Yes, ma'am I did! It is FANTASTIC and I am thrilled with such a find! I have to make one more stop with it to appease the boyfriend (translation, life partner). The owner has agreed to take it to a mechanic of my choice for an professional once over. Because of the one that caught on fire with me, my boyfriend is a little gun shy about these things.

I sniffed around that engine and you can't even smell fuel. It purrs like a freaking kitten, and I'm not kidding. I thought it was a diesel but it isn't (obviously realized that the moment he turned the key). Which isn't such a bad thing except from a fuel efficiency standpoint. Diesels are more expensive to work on and get parts for. It is quieter than my Toyota! And that Allison transmission.... it just clicks from gear to gear and you barely feel it. The guy was very proud of the truck. Not sure how he feels about selling it to a girl but I fawned over that thing like it was an Italian sports car.

The chassis will need to be shortened (believe it or not, this is an easy fix). My van guy has a buddy that works on trucks and tractor trailers for a living. Not only will he put the box on it, but his buddy will shorten and weld the chassis for me right at van guy's place. This has gone eerily well.

DiablosHalo
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:04 PM
LOL! I called the owner of this van to buy it and they said it was already sold! Glad to see a fellow coth-er got it! Enjoy! :)

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:56 PM
Funny! I spoke to him yesterday, telling him the news that I'd found a truck (also on Craig's List, I might add) and he said a few people had called asking about it. I told him from now on to say, "Sorry sucka!" Just kidding... :lol:

But he does need to pull that ad!

Keepthepeace
Jun. 14, 2011, 05:05 PM
Great deal!!

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 18, 2011, 07:36 PM
Behold my other Craig's List find! (http://anyplacefarm.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/six-degrees-of-separation-with-a-truck/#comment-1449)

LLDM
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
Can't wait for pics from the "marriage"! :lol: I hope you all live happily ever after.

SCFarm

Anyplace Farm
Aug. 13, 2011, 08:48 PM
Le mariage. (http://anyplacefarm.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/buck-the-truck-and-van-the-man-together-at-last/) :cool:

ayrabz
Aug. 14, 2011, 06:55 AM
LOVE IT !

goodhors
Aug. 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
Congrats on the new toy, hope you get plenty of good times with it.

karlymacrae
Aug. 15, 2011, 12:40 AM
How is this baby doing?!

Puddin Pie
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:47 PM
Awesome! And I remembered that I never answered you about Camp Yonhalosee. The few years that I was there, the riding was contracted out to someone and he delivered all horses in a big stock trailer. My guess is that the van came to be once the camp closed and the stables went private. The van looks great-hope it is working out for you.

LLDM
Aug. 19, 2011, 08:49 AM
Wow! The BuckVan merger looks great!

How is it to drive? What do your horses think? :D

SCFarm

Anyplace Farm
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:42 AM
Wow! The BuckVan merger looks great!

How is it to drive? What do your horses think? :D

SCFarm

Buck is AWESOME to drive. This is my second van and my first was a stick. I'm loving that Allison automatic transmission. Being that Buck is an F600, he's got power out the wazzoo so hills are a breeze and then going back down hills, he gears himself down nicely so I don't have to ride the brakes. Brakes are brand new on him though (an upgrade he came with).

Van's first passenger, a horse that hasn't been on a trailer in well over a year, was hesitant to walk up the ramp at first but within a matter of seconds, walked right up, took a look around at the roomy space he'd be riding in and was fine. When we arrived at our destination, he didn't look the least bit wide-eyed or hot. And it was hot the day we moved him.

I will be loading my own horse on it tomorrow.

Anyplace Farm
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:43 AM
Awesome! And I remembered that I never answered you about Camp Yonhalosee. The few years that I was there, the riding was contracted out to someone and he delivered all horses in a big stock trailer. My guess is that the van came to be once the camp closed and the stables went private. The van looks great-hope it is working out for you.
I'm diggin' it! Once my bank account catches its breath, I'll be making Van look prettier. But for now, he's perfectly usable.