PDA

View Full Version : WWYD with this horse?

HuntrJumpr
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have a pony that I very much enjoy having around. Despite the fact that I am wayy too big for her (I'm 5'8" --- she's definitely not a top of the line large - in case, you wanted a mental image) we have a good time playing around at home when I'm not at school, and other than that, she just hangs out with our other horses and keeps everyone company. I keep her at a family member's home, and she is a very easy keeper, so my expenses to keep her are fairly low.

However, if I hang on to her, she is not showing. She is fairly talented, wins a lot at local B, A, AA shows. She is also barely in shape, and isn't doing too much. Now, I know she neither knows or cares that she isn't living up to her potential, but occasionally I remember how I would have killed for an opportunity to have a pony like her when I was younger, and how I'm sure she could make some kid very happy. Plus - I can't show her. I am ridiculously big on her.

Anyway - she's a tough sell, for a variety of reasons, for the price I'd like for her. If I were to sell, I'd be trying to sell her solo (as an ammy with few real connections) and would not be able to get the price she is "worth" (in my opinion, and that of two trainers I have consulted). So - I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do with her.

My options are pretty much:

A.) Hang on to her for a year. Hopefully, I'd have enough money and be able to start conditioning her in the winter, and could then send her off to a sales barn to sell.
B.) Hang on to her indefinitely. Perhaps try to lease, free lease, whatever her out next year - maybe even for the rest of this show season.
C.) Breed her. She has good conformation, fabulous movement, and an above average jump. Her temperament is her best asset, and as a bonus, she's a "good" color. I would not mind if the foal came out an exact replica of her. Downside - no known breeding. Do have a well-known stallion in mind that seems like he could be a good cross for her. Would be shooting for TOL large, which I know can be a gamble.
D.) Drop her price - A LOT - into a range where I would be able to sell her by myself. Anticipate $10k+ in price difference between this and A.

Thoughts on any of the above? Would love to hear other's opinions, pros/cons, etc and see if there is anything I haven't considered.

Laurierace
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:39 PM
I vote lease to a pony crazy young girl who can't afford to buy something that nice. Sorry for choosing something other than one of the options.

sdlbredfan
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:39 PM
Is there a good-riding child in your area that would either want to buy her or long-term lease her, or perhaps show her for you for her to gain her the exposure she would need to the buying public to sell well???

naturalequus
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:23 PM
I vote lease to a pony crazy young girl who can't afford to buy something that nice. Sorry for choosing something other than one of the options.

Another vote for this!

fordtraktor
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:33 PM
I vote none of the above, and show her in the jumpers. :)

I'm 5'10, this pony is 14.2, and we still did very well up to 3'9 back in the day: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1297924403053911905lBEeBp

Sure I was too big, but it doesn't matter. leave the rails up and have the fastest time and you still win!

doublesstable
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:34 PM
Well it depends on some things...

You are young so are you going to have kids? Maybe those kids will ride? How old is this pony? Do you have the finances to keep pony?

If it's not about money I would vote to keep the pony. But not seeing it... I don't know.

Leases are a pain.. your horse gets wear and tear and in the end the miles belong to you.

If you don't want to keep the pony I would get it ready and sell it yourself. If you wait a year to condition the pony you will spend feed, shoeing etc and have to pay a sale barn a commission so you will be somewhat in a similar price index that you would be if you sold it yourself.

keepthelegend
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:16 PM
Pick a price in the middle, advertise her, see what you get offered and go from there. It's easy to say that you want x amount of money, but cold hard cash offers can sometimes change your mind! She is only going to get older and if she has a good local record just use that and let her go make a kid happy.

Rel6
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:30 PM
How old is she? Can you afford to breed her? Would you then want to keep both her and her foal?

If you can realistically afford the breed her, and have someplace to keep her where they are knowledgable about breeding and care for a pregnant mare then I see lease her out and then breed her.

Sure leases are wear and tear, but right now it seems she has a life that gives her the least "wear and tear" and the OP wants her to actually be doing something for someone. So I say lease her out while it sounds like she can still do either the pony hunter or children's ponies.

Then if you can, breed her and retire her to short stirrup. I knew a pony who quite happily packed kids around the SS until she was ready to pop! So maybe a free lease while she's preggers at an appropriate facility of your choice (with you picking up the tab for all her medical bills, of couse.)

HuntrJumpr
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks all for the ideas so far!

I really do wish I could find that horse crazy kid to lease her - but let's face it, even if I free lease her out, the cost of board (at least in our area now) and insurance (which I would require - seems smart) is prohibitive to a lot of families. Add into that that I would prefer her to go to someone who was going to be lessoning, or was already somewhat skilled -- and you can start to see the problems finding such a kid! :P If I could find one, I agree that this would probably be the ideal situation.

As far as finances go - she's at a family member's place. Said family member is a veterinarian, worked under a very skilled equine repro vet for sometime. Breeding would be financially feasible, and I would plan on keeping the foal at least until starting under saddle (which I could likely do myself, as I started current pony and many other horses as long as they have ammy-friendly minds). I have really been leaning toward the lease her and breed her idea, then trying to lease her again after foal is weaned. That plan takes up the next three years, which gives me some time to decide if/when/where I'm doing any future schooling. Pony is only 7 this year - definitely not old. Has very little wear and tear at this point. Goes barefoot year round, has always traveled and shown barefoot -- and she eats less than 1lb grain a day, plus balancer.

Thanks again for the thoughts. Plenty of ideas to consider.

((Fordtraktor - Love your idea, but the only way we'd be competitive in the jumpers is if we had plenty of turns to cut. She really prefers not to do more than her hunter canter. ;) ))

Rel6
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:33 PM
It sounds like you have the facilities to breed and care for her, so I would definitely do that. I say try the free lease option. She sounds like a quality pony, and someone who is going to be taking lessons and showing her is probably going to be able to afford the board (and be very happy to save on the lease.) Good luck!

alto
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:37 AM
I have really been leaning toward the lease her and breed her idea, then trying to lease her again after foal is weaned.

Then you just have another horse on your To Sell/Lease List & it doesn't sound as if you enjoy that aspect.

I really do wish I could find that horse crazy kid to lease her - but let's face it, even if I free lease her out, the cost of board (at least in our area now) and insurance (which I would require - seems smart) is prohibitive to a lot of families. Add into that that I would prefer her to go to someone who was going to be lessoning, or was already somewhat skilled -- and you can start to see the problems finding such a kid!

Have you approached any trainers you know & like?
eg, Pony boards at barn, lessons 2-3X a week with riders that are in your target group with view to getting a lease or 2 half-leases within the next 3-6 months (lease requires that kid continues to lesson at least weekly with trainer etc).
This would get some miles on the pony & some show exposure & hopefully get her sold at a price you're happy with.

goosejumps
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:47 AM
Then you just have another horse on your To Sell/Lease List & it doesn't sound as if you enjoy that aspect.

Have you approached any trainers you know & like?
eg, Pony boards at barn, lessons 2-3X a week with riders that are in your target group with view to getting a lease or 2 half-leases within the next 3-6 months (lease requires that kid continues to lesson at least weekly with trainer etc).
This would get some miles on the pony & some show exposure & hopefully get her sold at a price you're happy with.

a vote for this scenario!

keepthelegend
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:21 AM
Breeding is sooooo risky!!! You don't know her breeding so have no idea what size foal she will produce - you have basically a 1 inch window at the top of the divisions to try to hit and that is hard enough with a known quantity! You could get an ugly foal, a crooked foal, a sick foal, a tiny horse/overgrown pony, etc. Complications could cost a lot of money or the life of your mare/foal. Keep her if you love her, lease her if you can, sell her if you need the money, but don't breed!

MyGiantPony
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:46 AM
When my son lost interest in riding, I sent his pony to a dear and trusted friend. He went into her lesson program, was loved on by tons of kids, taught a bunch of them how to ride and show, and had a really good life.

ArthurGuinness
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:27 AM
The lease idea can work. I have a 9 year old that would love to give her kisses and treats and tell her she loves her everyday!!

smm20
Jun. 6, 2011, 03:47 PM
I know someone selling a horse who has said that several people have responsed to the sale ad by asking if the horse would be available for a lease. Perhaps take the advice of a previous poster and list her for sale at a middle price and see what happens.

myalter1
Jun. 6, 2011, 03:50 PM

i like this idea too!