PDA

View Full Version : The Tach...No, Spedo...the dang needle is stuck!

Alagirl
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:45 PM
Aight: 2003 so 1500 Silverado

as of late the needle on the speedometer is doing funky stuff.
It does not retract all the way to zero, so today I maxxed it out somewhere around 140 mph....:rolleyes:

Where do I look for he problem?

fanfayre
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:12 PM
It's a cluster defect with Chevrolet. Our new-to-us 2004 Silverado did the same thing to me as I was driving it home from buying it! Take it to your chevy dealership and they will have to replace it. I think it's one of those lifetime warranty things, so there should not be a charge to you, but not completely sure of that. Just be very careful they don't muck around with your odometer [long story...]
We're now in the processes of selling our truck...

2bee
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:17 PM
Probably the stepper motors, pretty common problem. GM extended the warranty to 7years/80,000 miles. Call the dealer with your vin to see for sure, but I suspect you're on your own at this point.

Call or google around for the best repair price. Lots of places popping up that can fix the problem, I doubt your dealer would be a good choice $$ wise. Seems like there was a guy on eBay where you could pull the cluster yourself and send it to him to fix, cost about $200.

lucky bunny
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:06 AM
Same thing happened to our 2004 GMC Envoy. It's a defective instrument cluster. The whole cluster has to be replaced. The factory is aware and there's been no recall because, technically, it's not a 'safety' issue.

We drove around with it for awhile because we were too stubborn to put up the $. My parents had just given it to me as a gift last year for graduation. Hmm, $1200 for a free car... thanks. We had to fix it to pass the yearly inspection.

Nothing else is wrong with the care except that the tachometer reads dangerously high even when you hear normal revs. The speedometer reads 70mph in park. The gas gauge bounces from empty to full. The only that functioned properly was the thermometer.

btw, we got it fixed but our gas gauge is still screwy. When we get down to 1/8 tank, it will suddenly read 1/2 full. It hasn't fooled us yet. ...well, not yet.

TrakeGirl
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:27 PM
I'll join the party - 2003, Chevy Tahoe.

Tachometer went crazy a few years ago, had the cluster replaced ($300 or so)? But it was sorta under warranty at that time so I think I didn't have to pay for it. Can't remember.

Now the oil pressure gauge that lives next door to the tachometer is jacked - permanently all the way to the right at 80. Never moves. Ever. I felt like the engine must be ready to explode, but then realized it is probably just the gauge acting up again. No check engine lights or anything. Won't be forking over the $ to fix that one.

But if it was the gas gauge - that would bother me!!

GoForAGallop
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:32 PM
Looks like there is a guy on ebay who will fix them for under $100. Or buy a new one for $200, but your odometer will be off.

Gauge clusters are easy enough to pop in and out...just some screws and unplugging a few things, simple.

Alagirl
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:47 PM
I guess there is a youtube for that....