PDA

View Full Version : You know the drought is bad when. . .

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:40 PM
You start rooting for the tropical storm in the Gulf to gain strength and bring rain to Florida.

Seriously, this drought is just awful. Even the weeds are shriveling up and dying.

Alagirl
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:48 PM
Oh, I hear ya! I am running the sprinklers, for the benefit of the birds....Having to give my lawn guy a no-rain-check on the cutting...(but I can tell very good where my filed lines are....at least one good thing from dry weather!)

paintjumper
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:04 PM
We have not had any rain in about 3 months. My pasture weeds are dead! I did not even spray this year so far. Our pond was already low from the dry winter, now we are about 8 feet lower than we ususally are. It is dreadful. The farmers here are either loosing their butts with irrigation or their crops came up and died. I hate to think what hay is going to cost this year :(

PRS
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:06 PM
I'm buying hay in May and June! My pasture is dry, dry, dry and not even the weeds are surviving here in central GA. There is NO grass growing at all. On the bright side DH is getting lots of other little projects done because he doesn't have to mow our 5.5 acres.

kinnip
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:13 PM
GA is definitely in trouble, too. (Mmm FL and GA in drought, guess we know what the headlines will be for the next year.) I'm actually feeding two bales of hay a day right now. The three TBs are in a smallish pasture with no grass at all. I keep them up during the day, to give the grass half a chance, then haul hay out into the pasture for nighttime. I have two others in a 17 acre pasture with 2 of the BOs horses. Luckily, they're all easy keepers, but if it doesn't rain soon, I'll be hauling out hay for them, too. It's just pitiful watching them strip the privet bare.

cllane1
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:39 PM
The first part of spring was okay for us, so much so that we got our first hay cutting in May, which is crazy early for us, but now it is dry as a bone here. We're feeding hay too. I pray every day for rain.

Bluey
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:51 PM
You start rooting for the tropical storm in the Gulf to gain strength and bring rain to Florida.

Seriously, this drought is just awful. Even the weeds are shriveling up and dying.

What weeds? We don't even have weeds growing.:(
We have not had any rain since last fall.:cry:

It is so dry, even grasshoppers carry water with them as they keep on hopping into the dry sunset.;)

tasia
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:22 PM
What weeds? We don't even have weeds growing.:(
We have not had any rain since last fall.:cry:

It is so dry, even grasshoppers carry water with them as they keep on hopping into the dry sunset.;)

Please let it rain. We've already done the naked rain dance and still nothing.

mroades
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:24 PM
10 weeks and counting at my farm....sigh

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:28 PM
I really thought that perhaps the band booster car wash this weekend that my daughter and her friends worked at would help bring rain, I even had them wash my car too - no luck.

CFFarm
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:45 AM
Yeah, they had to cancel school here a few times because the smoke is so bad from the fires. Dogs didn't even want to out because it was so hot and smokey! I'm afraid it may take a, dare I say it, hurricane for us to catch up. It's 1999 all over again. And then there's all that flooding in the middle of country.:eek:

Arizona DQ
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:25 PM
We have the smoke and heat too. It is like a blanket of haze all over the place and I have a constant sore throat! Ugh... I can't even tell which fire is sending the smoke our way.. The other day, the local Forest Rangers told us that the majority of the smoke we are getting is from Mexico! (they do not spend a lot of time or effort fighting fires)...:no:

I fear for the safety of our horses, between the Herpes out break and the fires, this is not a great place to be right now.....

Bluey
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:54 PM
Over Memorial weekend, we had over 10 prarie fires around here and our small animal veterinarian's house he built 30 years ago burned to the ground in those fires.:cry:

Thankfully they were gone for the holidays and their cats and some dogs were at the clinic's boarding kennels.
If it had happened during the week, no one may have been able to save them.:eek:

We need rain very bad, fields that would be making 1000 bales of alfalfa are cutting 160 only, there is a real shortage around here.
Our supplier is telling us he will be lucky to get us 1/2 of what we wanted, unless it starts raining soon.:(

fooler
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:48 PM
DH and I were discussing this yesterday We are hoping for a few tropical depressions to sit off shore and produce multi-day rain. We had rain and some snow this winter.but are dry now.

Hoping for some Gulf tropical depressions or level 1 hurricanes to drop some moisture toward all states except LA (who is getting hammered by the upstream floods)

I am worried about hay, feed and food prices later this year. So many areas around the world are either without rain or have too much water. This growing season is not looking promising at all. . .

cyndi
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:50 PM

Ditto. I am less than 30 miles from the TX Gulf Coast. And took a direct hit from Ike. But I'd be willing to go through another SMALLER one just for the rain. We have not had ANY rain since Feb. 1. We usually get close to FIFTY inches a year.

foxhavenfarm
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:58 PM
We are with you all. We are running sprinklers in our pastures all day long every day, rotating locations...hopefully our well won't dry up. We're feeding hay too and normally don't have to after April. It is SO dry I can't even drag the pastures!

ponygirl
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:45 PM

I know. Saw the weather this am and thought the same exact thing. Please form and come visit! :(

We are 4 inches below deficit here on the coast.

OveroHunter
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:39 PM
We are already having to put round bales out on our 100 acre pasture. There's probably no more than 50 horses out there and we are still having to put out hay... Last year we didn't put hay out until November!

We're buying as much hay as we can right now in case the hay farmers only get a couple of cuttings this year... When you have nearly 250 horses they go through a lot of hay!

ETA: We have more pastures than the 100 acre one, so don't worry we have more than enough acreage for the amount of horses we have.

tasia
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
It rained!! It really rained!!! Could have done without the lightning and wind. The wind actually took our front gate off the operator arm:eek: But it rained:cool:

Hope everyone else gets some too!!!

Weighaton
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:43 PM
It is the second driest May/June on record for us. Today as I was driving 6 raindrops hit the windshield and I got so excited!! When I got home the sky opened up and it has poured amazing, beautiful rain for 5 hours!!! Thank goodness. I still may be forced to buy hay. I saw a farmer up the road with really nice round rolls so I may have to beg him for a few.

Kaprica9
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:26 PM
Reading all of this I feel so incredible lucky!! We're in central GA and things are dry- but there's been regular little thunderclouds that keep it livable. Sure the grass is looking toasty, but the weeds are flourishing (and keeping the goats quite happy indeed XD)

Appsolute
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:37 PM
Man, the weather is just WEIRD this year.

Here in CA, we are usually BONE dry May through October (between .3 and .0 inches per month!).

This weekend, it rained so hard we had FLOODING that closed our main road in and out of town. Around an inch fell Saturday AM - Hello, around 10 times the monthly average! Along with howling winds, and low temps.. where is my cali summer?!

In May we had 12 days of rain.... a month that usually sees one day, with .1 inches....

The pasture is GREEN (should be brown by now) and up to the horse's bellies. They are all getting FAT and are at risk of founder. Grazing muzzles all around, I never even SAW a grazing muzzle before this year. We usually have a little green grass in the winter, which quickly dries up come spring.

But not this year, it has been record breaking (last time we had rain like this in June was 1934).

And now you all are dry as a bone... what gives? Usually WE are the ones fighting the fires!

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:20 PM
It rained!! It really rained!!! Could have done without the lightning and wind. The wind actually took our front gate off the operator arm:eek: But it rained:cool:

Hope everyone else gets some too!!!

We only got about 1/2 inch up here in Citra, but I'll take whatever we can get, even if it comes with lightning (which caused my dogs to all freak out).

mroades
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:23 PM
it went north and south of us...again

PRS
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:34 PM
Reading all of this I feel so incredible lucky!! We're in central GA and things are dry- but there's been regular little thunderclouds that keep it livable. Sure the grass is looking toasty, but the weeds are flourishing (and keeping the goats quite happy indeed XD)

I'm in central GA (Haynesville/Grovania area south of Perry) we have had absolutely NO rain for two months or more. My pastures are dust. There have been storms move to the east and west of us but no rain has fallen on my property since the beginning of April. One storm moving up from Cordele actually split and went around us on both sides. I think I'm in Hell.

Opus1
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:44 PM
We're dying in S. Ga.

We've been having little pockets of rain pop up here and there, but man ... the little town I live in keeps missing it. Like tonight -- we could feel the rain blowing in, felt the cool air and could smell it. Then when it finally got here, it rained lightly for about 7-8 minutes, then blew on past.

It's just cruel. And yes, I'm to the point where I'm rooting for a tropical storm. Neve rmind the grass and fires and things that matter -- I just want to be able to breathe again. Dry air is killing my poor nose. :-\

[/pout]

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:35 AM
OY! this afternoon I thought maybe we were getting clouds, but all it was was horrendous smoke from the Honey Prairie fire up in Georgia!

I'm still rooting for that tropical disturbance in the carribean to be a rain maker!

Alagirl
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:06 AM
I turned the sprinkler on this evening and forgot about it....

the water didn't even run down hill! :eek:

I was considering to set the grass on fire to have the fire department come and 'put it out' with a lot of water....:no:

I know, I am bad!

It's so damn dry!

SanJacMonument
Jun. 8, 2011, 09:40 AM
My worry now is there are cracks opening up in the fields. They are not yet big enough for a horse's foot, but may be in a few weeks if we don't get rain.

monstrpony
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:50 AM
Argh. I hate reading this. We're dry but not yet desperate; had a hint of rain last night, enough of a sprinkle that we had some fog this morning. But I'm noticing that the mowings are lasting an awfully long time these days ...

mroades
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:34 PM
Its soooo bad here....fields are brown and turning to sand

baysngreys
Jun. 11, 2011, 03:17 PM
Its soooo bad here....fields are brown and turning to sand

mroades - You're close to me, rain dance at midnight tonight!

Seriously, I've been running sprinklers several hours morning and evenings. Thankfully I have less horses than last year and can rotate paddocks while I try and soak one down.

I bought the last 16 round bales from my "dealer" in March. Really nice hay so I figured I'd grab it. Thank goodness because I haven't been able to stop feeding hay this year!

The one paddock that was graded for an arena is actually growing grass. I need to aerate the rest of them, it really seems to help.

Jane Honda
Jun. 11, 2011, 03:27 PM
Someone just needs to wash and wax their car.

Rains every time I do mine...

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 11, 2011, 04:51 PM
Someone just needs to wash and wax their car.

Rains every time I do mine...

My husband washed and waxed all FIVE vehicles in our driveway three weeks ago - no rain :no:

Alagirl
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:00 PM
Keep dancing, Ladies...
We had a little bit of rain near I20 today!

(hate to brag) ;)

mroades
Jun. 11, 2011, 11:07 PM
not even a cloud here....

Opus1
Jun. 12, 2011, 12:50 AM
Ugh. I just looked at the forecast. We have 30-40% chance of rain -- on and off -- for the next 5 days.

Monday's high is expected to be 100. Same for Tuesday. But now we have 60-70% humidity to deal with. Before when we were at 100, it was l-o-w humidity. Desert-like. The heat was bad, but it wasn't unbearable.

I'm telling y'all, if we have to deal with high humidity and not even get any rain out of it ...

bizbachfan
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:18 AM
It is the worst I have ever seen it for early June here in East Central FL. We are already in an area with very sandy soil. There is no grass. There is also no place to ride other than the trail as the sand in the riding areas is too deep. There is no way to run sprinklers enough to combat the dryness. The lake on our property is drying up as well.

They can't even water the golf courses here because there not enough water so the golf courses are dying, I know who cares, but seriously that shows how bad it is. The fires are all around but not as bad as they have been in some past years, but regardless it is as dry as I have ever seen it. Rain Rain please Rain!!!

Alagirl
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:25 PM
It is the worst I have ever seen it for early June here in East Central FL. We are already in an area with very sandy soil. There is no grass. There is also no place to ride other than the trail as the sand in the riding areas is too deep. There is no way to run sprinklers enough to combat the dryness. The lake on our property is drying up as well.

They can't even water the golf courses here because there not enough water so the golf courses are dying, I know who cares, but seriously that shows how bad it is. The fires are all around but not as bad as they have been in some past years, but regardless it is as dry as I have ever seen it. Rain Rain please Rain!!!

Yes, when they are not watering the golf courses, it's bad.

I think we only got enough rain last night to knock the dust down a little...but every little bit helps.

Tommyknockers
Jun. 12, 2011, 04:52 PM
Munchkin it is RAINING here in Citra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 12, 2011, 11:06 PM
Munchkin it is RAINING here in Citra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!

It did NOT rain at my farm :mad::mad::mad:

Alagirl
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:19 AM
It might yet make it there. We had some more today, too.

Bluey
Jun. 13, 2011, 08:08 AM
Was 102 yesterday, will be today and no rain since last fall, none in sight as far as they can see, had five fires around here last night, dry lightning caused them.:no:

We are incredible dry, have not grown not a blade of grass this year.:cry:

creekridgefarm
Jun. 13, 2011, 08:10 AM
It finally rained here in eastern NC. I've been putting hay in my normally green pastures. I'm afraid I'm going to have to reseed before I move if I want to market my pastures as "pastures" and not "dry lots". On the other hand, my farm up north also has to be reseeded because of TOO much rain. We tilled and seeded 15 acres, only to have it rain for 6 days straight and wash most of it into the low areas. I can't win!!

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:16 PM
Hallelujiah! It just poured here! Probably not enough to make a big difference, but I hope this is the start of our "rainy season"

Oh my, the wind is whipping through also, hope we don't loose power.

bizbachfan
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:45 PM
Still no rain here, sky got very dark and I felt about 3 drops of rain and then it just vanished (the storm cell) UGH I hate to say but yes a nice tropical depression would be great!

spinandslide
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:33 PM
Here in Texas, as Bluey said, we are dry dry dry.

We grow our own hay and thankfully, have irrigation. I've been irrigating my field alot, and will be looking to cut soon..crossing fingers we make a good amount.

hay producers in my area are even looking for hay..that is a bad sign. I am stockpiling it already, come fall, it will be scarce.

bizbachfan
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:44 PM
Its 100 out now with heat index of 107 and smoke everywhere, poor horses I want to bring them home in the AC.

Bluey
Jun. 13, 2011, 06:45 PM
We are 105 right now, dry heat, humidity at 5%.
Our all time record ever is 108.

No rain in sight ...

Even irrigated alfalfa fields are not hardly growing, it is too hot.:(

mroades
Jun. 13, 2011, 08:38 PM
Bluey wins, but coastal SC is running in second, no rain in 11 weeks, 101 today....grass is but a memory...riding on beach sand...

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 14, 2011, 12:15 AM
I'm hoping you all get some rain soon, it is raining again right now! I've never been so happy to see rain.

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 14, 2011, 12:37 AM
I just put weed killer in my ring/round pen area... suprised the weeds are actually still alive, but that is a damp spot for some reason... and I think I just made them happier because the weed killer is mixed with water. I think I rejuvinated them instead :(

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 15, 2011, 11:24 PM
HOLY GUACAMOLY! We had one heck of a storm tonight, I think about 2 inches, hail, hours of lightning and thunder - wild ride. I appreciate the rain, so I am not going to complain about the messy stalls from the horses hunkered down in there for hours.

Piney Woods
Jun. 16, 2011, 12:04 AM
I got it too MM. My farm is about 12 miles NW of Citra and this evening we got a pretty scary thunderstorm complete with quite a light show and 1.5" of rain. This is the first rain we have had in many months. Maybe the grass will survive. One horse was still out and I just checked on him and all is well so I am happy. :) You can all thank me for this rain. Iheard that car washing was not working so I bought 4 hay rolls!

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:02 AM
THANK YOU Piney! I think the grass will survive, I am constantly amazed here that the grass looks deader than a doornail, and a few good rains and it greens right back up.

bizbachfan
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:04 AM
I am in Chicago for work and was so excited that it was raining for a second, then uh duh it is NOT raining at home in Florida LOL. I wish I could bring it home with me.

Anguissette
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
We're supposed to get thunderstorms here north of Raleigh from tonight all through Sunday.....oh please let them be right for once!

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
So, after my last post, 10 days with no rain, and finally today we got some decent rain this afternoon. I pray we are heading into the normal afternoon storm pattern now.

Alagirl
Jun. 24, 2011, 05:18 PM
LOL, yep, talked to a woman from Wisconsin today, she said her daughter was expecting to catch some sun while here in the south, and it has been raining for the better part of the week...I told here to go travel to Texas and Arizona and take some of the rain along. :cool:

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 24, 2011, 05:24 PM
I thought it was me, I was just up in MA earlier this week, and it didn't rain until we left, thought I was the drought maker! Had a flight delay in Atlanta due to a real washout thunderstorm on the way home.

cloudyandcallie
Jun. 24, 2011, 05:29 PM
Atlanta has been getting pounded with rain all spring, but not here on the coast. Till now. Now coastal GA has gotten rain and the FL Flagler Co. fire smoke is not coming in off the ocean. Yippee for rain!

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 24, 2011, 07:48 PM
Funny how other COTHers are complaining about too much rain, and we are complaining about too little rain. Can't keep us horse people happy!

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 27, 2011, 11:00 PM
Hey, to you folks in Texas, looks like maybe TS Don might finally bring some rain your way!