PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Featherlite vs. 2004 Adam

airtime
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:17 PM
I have choice to make between the two. Both are 2h bp with dressing room. Both are about $5500. Adam looks to have many more miles. Featherlite, although four years older, was owned by mounted police and had low miles. I like the layout of the Adam better (ramp, 2 escape doors) than the Featherlite (mangers, walk thru to dressing room for escape and a step up, no ramp,full doors in back). I lease horses and will have several types in my trailer over the next several years. Weight is not an issue. I have the mother of all trucks. Help! Decisions! Decisions! So, vote folks and help me out here. Thank you!!!!
airtime
Herd Member

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:48 PM
The manger would be the deal breaker for me, so I'd go with the Adam. Plus I like having a ramp and two escape doors.

I do not know this to be an issue, so I am phrasing it as a question: how well would a featherlite hold up in the event of, God forbid, a wreck?

Jun. 5, 2011, 06:02 PM
I hate mangers, I don't like the idea of the horses not being able to put their heads down and having their front feet blocked.

One thing I've noticed about Adams trailers is they seemed to be low on windows for air flow. I had two Adam's steel stock BPs and that obviously wasn't an issue, and I liked them quite a lot.

wildlifer
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:48 PM
Adams are well made trailers -- I have one with stock sides, a 2H BP and adore it. They really design well so the trailers are user friendly and haul beautifully. My BO has a 3H slant gooseneck, same maker, also well made and great to use.

Simbalism
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:06 AM
I have a 2h bp Adam trailer. It is about 8 years old and has held up well. I don't like the managers either, so would definitely go with the Adam.

airtime
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you everyone! Went to see the f'lite yesterday. Jury is still out. Such a great price, but I'm waiting to see the Adam today. It's true about the window thing in the Adam. I am disappointed that the escape doors (by the horse's heads) don't have windows! It's not true for all of them in this design, but it is for this used one. Who would want no windows up front for the horses????!! Anyone ever had a window installed in an existing trailer door? What would that cost? I am hearing great things about the company, so I hope they could help me out with this.

airtime
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:39 AM
Simbalism.... is your Adam steel frame with alum skin? Do you do maintenance on steel/rust issues?

horsetales
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have an Adams like what you described with the ramp Al over steel. Hauls nice, holds up great. I haul adults and youngstock and all of them like it - never a problem getting babies to load. I vote Adams

ETA if you search for Adams, I think there are several threads. I saw lots of positive comments on them

Jun. 7, 2011, 12:34 PM
I'd call Adam's and ask about the doors, I bet it would be cheapest to replace the doors with doors that have windows, if you're near NC I'd call Tom Woodlief, literally the nicest trailer dealer I've ever met, I bought two Adam's from him, just the nicest man.

cyndi
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:56 PM
If the Adam is alum over steel frame I would not do it.

Personally, I have an 18-year old Featherlite 2 horse bp with huge dressing room. They no longer make my model - none of the newer ones have nearly as big a dressing room. It is all aluminum except for the axles and the hitch. I am the original owner and have had few issues with it. Never had any wiring problems. I never take the mats out because they are too darn heavy to do by myself. I take it once a year and have the local huge trailer dealer look it over and make sure everything is safe.

I keep looking at new trailers, but can't really justify it since there's really nothing WRONG with mine - but, as others have said, I would prefer a trailer without a manger and could use one that is a big longer in the horse compartment. They are making them bigger now than they did back then. However, I do mostly short hauling. I haul a lot, but the majority of my trips are under 2 hours.

I can't speak to the quality of the current FL trailers - but I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of mine!

Simbalism
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:47 AM
Airtime, yes, mine is aluminum over steel. I take it in for yearly maintenance and have not had any problems with structural issues from rusting.

equinedriver
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:47 PM
THe mangers are a deal breaker for me. I have had both styles and absolutely HATED the mangers. Sold the trailer.........

judybigredpony
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:59 PM
Adams for all the above

monstrpony
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:15 PM
I had windows added to the top (over ramp) doors on the back of my Hawk. The doors were framed for the windows already, so it was just a matter of cutting out the inner and outer walls and installing the windows, which I had done by the Hawk rep to my dealer. IIRC, it cost about $400. Not a big deal.

If the Adam was framed for the windows but they just weren't put in as an option, I wouldn't be too worried about doing it.

dawglover
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:02 PM
I just had windows added to the used Adam trailer I recently purchased.
It needed light and air in the front! I don't know why Adam didn't put windows in some models...

It cost $600, half of that was the labor charge, but the guy did a fantastic job. :yes:

Horses are much happier with the trailer now. :)