PDA

View Full Version : Ariat Volant Collection

SpringPaddocks
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:49 PM
I finally cracked open my new Dover catalog and saw these boots,

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-38973&ids=316203613

and while I really can't imagine paying that much for a boot I'm not too sure I like the look of, something about them intrigues me. Has anyone tried them yet...or at least seen them around? There are half chaps in the collection as well.

Spindrift
Jun. 5, 2011, 03:40 PM
These actually look better in person. I didn't try them on, but I've been told they're like wearing tennis shoes! Might be nice for schooling. For me however, I would still want to wear a more traditional field boot for showing. :)

At my lesson today it turns out my trainer just got a pair. She absolutely loves them and said she's broken them in in about 4 days.

I've decided I'm going to save up for a pair for schooling.

SpringPaddocks
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, that's what got me too...they look so much like tennis shoes. I would imagine them to be pretty comfortable. I don't know what I'd think if I saw them in the show ring though.

PolymerChem
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:34 PM
They remind me of the boots Nike designed as part of their "Shoes for Every Olympic Sport" or whatever it was campaign in 2008. Come to think of it, the Nike boots might have been more traditional, at least in the "no readily visible zipper" sense.

2horseowner
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:37 PM
I have the solid black ones. I had ordered the ones with the red zipper, and these were sent instead. These are like no tall boot I've ever had on. They do feel like tennis shoes. They are tall, even for the regular height. I am recovering from a herniated disc, and hope to ride in them very soon. I like them so much that I am considering the front zip ones. They do look better in hand. I know I will love riding in them.

Madaketmomma
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:40 PM
There are other threads about these boots. I have the all black pair and they are hands down the most comfortable tall boots I have ever owned. They were also the easiest to break in and the foot part are more comfortable then my Uggs. When I am in the saddle you can barely even notice that they are different looking. I will see if I can find a pic of me riding in them to post. With all this being said, I ride in the jumpers and would not show in the hunters in them. I have been wearing them to ride in every day.

Mako
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:40 PM
Not sure I really like the look of them but they are interesting. Really do look like a running shoe in leather. I'll have to keep an eye out for them next time I'll in the tack store

SpringPaddocks
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Post pics if you can.

Wholehearted
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:04 PM
I saw these in the tack shop today and while they do look really interesting, and comfortable, I think they're too futuristic looking to show in. But I also liked how they got the zipper placement RIGHT or at least, more RIGHT than the back of the boot...grrr.

Starda01
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:15 PM
I actually have these boots. I've had them for a few months and I love them. They are they most comfortable, grippiest boot I've ever had. I ride in them all the time. They are fully lined, so I don't think they'll wear holes anytime soon. The zippers are heavy duty, better than most of the Ariat zippers.

I show jumpers, and I have shown in these. I wouldn't think they are appropriate for hunters, but for cross country and jumpers, its ok.

I do recommend them. They really are a nice boot, soft and easy to break in.

mrsbradbury
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:59 AM
I just tried them on, and loved them. I don't own them yet but when I can justify the purchase I will own a pair.

They made my feet and legs feel so good walking around the store. I didn't think the price was inappropriate either.

I would wear them for daily riding, or the jumper ring. JMO.

apachepony
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:08 PM
I tried on the red pair at the tack shop and immediately fell in love. I've never tried on anything as comfortable. Wish I could afford a pair!

rockfordbuckeye
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:23 PM
question: from the pictures in the catalog it looks like the footbed is kinda of wide/clunky more gym-shoe-y. Do you guys that own them feel that way? How thick is the leather?

I love talls boots that are very thin (i have an uber sensitive horse) and don't want a lot of bulk in the footbed. That's why I've always stayed away from even paddock boots which I find heavy and bulky.

mand_asbfan
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:57 PM
I've been eyeing this up too.... for the paddock boots, do they sit below your ankle like tennis shoes? I assume the bottoms are grippy like tennis shoes? I much prefer the grip and height of tennis shoes for riding than regular boots but it makes me nervous to not have a heel and these seem like they might be exactly what I'm looking for.

mojo7777
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:32 PM
I hate to mention, but will the zippers give up after a short period of time? Do they look like other Ariat zippers?

Spindrift
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:06 PM
I hate to mention, but will the zippers give up after a short period of time? Do they look like other Ariat zippers?

From what I've seen the zippers appear to be more substantial than on other Ariats... I hope they would last longer, but I don't know... :confused:

SpringPaddocks
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:52 PM
Well I am still undecided, but they look so comfortable! I guess that is what's most important when I'd be riding in them every day. My little Ariat paddock boots are nice, but my feet are still sore after a few hours of working outside.

HARROLDhasmyheart
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:51 PM
I tried them on in the store for fun when I was looking for a new pair of boots-they were like wearing tennis shoes! SO comfortable...I wish they looked a little more "traditional" but they were a joy for my feet to walk around in :p.

Madaketmomma
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:38 AM
Here is a pic of me riding in the boots. Sorry that it's not an action shot, but I think it shows that the boots aren't as noticeably different looking as one would think. Also, please disregard my hand gestures-LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1997693750621&set=a.1997691030553.2123755.1491827944&type=1&theater

ForaSmallFee11
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:49 PM
The foot bed in these boots are incredible, they are made with the quantum foot bed from Ariat. The zippers on all Ariat boots have been improved in the last year or so and are much more substantial, the bottom of the boot itself, what some are saying look clunky, well that's because the last of the boot comes up around the boot, therefore it has less of a chance of separating from the leather. The inside of your calf feels much like the monaco, but unlike the monaco there are three layers of leather there, to prevent wearing holes. These boots were designed and made to be worn more often then the traditional ariat show boot, therefore they should last much longer. Everyone I know that has them loves them.

ExJumper
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:48 AM
Here is a pic of me riding in the boots. Sorry that it's not an action shot, but I think it shows that the boots aren't as noticeably different looking as one would think. Also, please disregard my hand gestures-LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1997693750621&set=a.1997691030553.2123755.1491827944&type=1&theater

Photo doesn't work for me?

Madaketmomma
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:19 PM
Photo doesn't work for me?

That is probably because I have no idea what I am doing! LOL
Try this:

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/skoris/Ariat%20Volant/

Again, ignore the hand gesture

Spindrift
Jun. 9, 2011, 12:21 AM
They will be mine. Oh yes, they will be mine! I'm going to get the straight black ones. :lol:

karlymacrae
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:10 AM
:no::no::no:

Maybe for schooling. Maybe.

Mako
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:47 AM
After reading how great they are and comfortable...I want a pair now lol!

Starda01
Jun. 9, 2011, 09:17 AM
I've had mine for several months now, and I'm not easy on boots. I love them. The zipper is much more substantial than I've ever seen on anAriat boot. As far as being clunker, they may seem that way on the ground, but performance wise they aren't. The toe is more rounded than the more traditional boots. The inside calf is super grippy. They fit to my calf and ankle like customs. As one other poster pointed out, thet are a soft leather, but fully lines, or triple lined, so it's not thin. It's really a lovely boot and I love mine.

Here is a video of me riding in them. They really don't scream out as loud or different, and I have the red ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1AQTRsq6s

toomanyponies
Jun. 10, 2011, 12:27 AM
Remember when the GPAs first came out? No one would ride in them in the hunter ring. . . and now we have the speedAirs, with a lot of silver and no one thinks twice about it.

I bet the same thing will happen.

Mimi La Rue
Jun. 10, 2011, 01:59 AM
^I hope so. I really like the Volants but I ride hunters.

TheOrangeOne
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:32 AM
I just bought a pair to use as schooling boots so my parlanti's don't get too much wear. I will report!

lucyeq
Jun. 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
So what's the final verdict on the paddock boots?? I need some new paddock boots soon, but I'm at a very traditional barn. I also have a really narrow foot. Would I be swimming in them?

Natalie A
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
Any more opinions on these? My 7+ year-old Ariat paddock boots and half chaps are finally to the point of getting very wrecked up, and I'm thinking about these or some of the Mountain Horse tall boots. I ride for pleasure and maybe the occasional clinic or schooling show, so I don't care if they look a bit weird.

Starda01
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:23 PM
Get them if you can. :)

SilvyFilly
Jul. 22, 2011, 10:05 PM
Heyy...if anyone is interested in these in the all black tall boots.. Zappos has them on sale for $400. Compared to Dover at $500 i think thats pretty decent!!

http://www.zappos.com/ariat-volant-vented-tall-back-zip-black

Dune
Jul. 23, 2011, 11:56 AM
Ariats in general are too narrow for me, do these boots also run narrow or are they wider??? I saw them and LOVED them and I'm primarily a dressage rider now, lol (don't tell the DQs).:winkgrin: