PDA

View Full Version : New(used) stirrup leathers, CWD, don't fit.

sonomacounty
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:27 PM
I just bought some used nice CWD stirrup leathers and they are a bit short for the keeper on the saddle. Certainly useable but I expected them to fit better. The numbers on them are: 135 54. I thought 54 was standard.

Why are they short-ish?

I'm 5'6"

Tx.

PonyPenny
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:01 PM
Well according to Google. 135 cm is only 53.1", so that may be why they are a little short.

sonomacounty
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks Penny. I didn't realize the 135 was the centimeters. I was thinking it might be a model number. They are more then a little short, though. The excess really isn't long enough to go in the keeper, even. Not the biggest deal but for buying premium leathers, I think they should at least fit in the keeper. Again, I'm 5'6" and ride a normal stirrup length.

PonyPenny
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:30 PM
I only know they are in centimeters because I got a pair with my Antares saddle. Have you measured them in both centimeters and inches? Maybe you got a mislabeled pair. If you do not like them, I may buy them off you depending on how long they are. I need ones around 50".

sonomacounty
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:14 AM
pm sent

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:27 AM
I'm 5'7-5'8 and have a 135 that's a bit long for me. Sounds mismarked to me.

sonomacounty
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:50 AM
Just measured and they are 53". I put them on hole No. 4 (which is the normal, ankle bone length) and the end is too short to stay put in the keeper. Could be worse but I that's not what I aimed for when buying a premium stirrup leather. Oh, . . . well, . . .

alto
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:24 AM
53-54 sounds short to me if you have a longer leg for your height.

You might have a saddle maker add a "tab" (done right it should look custom rather than odd) so that the end stays in the keeper OR adjust the keeper placement on the saddle (depending on the saddle this may not be a reasonable option).

sonomacounty
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:54 AM
Alto, you've got it !

I absolutely do have a longer leg for my height. (I always bought regular length leathers, though. Maybe cause these don't stretch?)

Brilliant idea about adding a tab ~

Thanks,
Sonoma

pattnic
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:37 AM
Something often overlooked is the fact that though stirrup leathers come in "standard" lengths, there is no "standard hole placement." I've had 54" leathers that were just right, too short, and too long because of this. It may just be that the holes are not placed appropriately for you.

BAC
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
CWD leathers come in a shorter version, maybe these are mismarked? I am 5'4" and my CWDs have lots of "left over", in fact too much, if only they would wear out (they wear like iron) I would replace them with the shorter ones. I think CWD also makes a longer length leather, why don't you just see if you can return them for a longer pair?

sonomacounty
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:34 PM
J.J.,

Your pm box is full, so I can't reply.

jody jaffe
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:43 PM
resend pm -- cleaned things out
thanks

sonomacounty
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:56 PM
BAC: I can't return them because they were bought used.

Pattnic: Well, it's not so much the hole placement as it is that the end of the leather barely gets in the keeper on the flap, then is so short it won't end up staying put.

Tx.
sonoma

pattnic
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:36 PM
Pattnic: Well, it's not so much the hole placement as it is that the end of the leather barely gets in the keeper on the flap, then is so short it won't end up staying put.

Tx.
sonoma

Which is partially a function of where the holes are punched (in relation to where you need to set your stirrups so they are the correct length for you). :winkgrin:

No real suggestions... I am very particular about this, so though I hate my current leathers, I've not yet replaced them, because I haven't found another pair punched "just right." Well, actually I'm thinking Gary Mundy is the answer!:lol:

sonomacounty
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:02 PM
I think I know what you mean. Maybe. I wasn't disregarding your idea on this, btw. Is it something like you want your useable holes to be more near the middle holes and not lots toward either end.

pattnic
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:37 PM
Exactly

bluebuckets
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:49 PM
53-54 sounds short to me if you have a longer leg for your height.

You might have a saddle maker add a "tab" (done right it should look custom rather than odd) so that the end stays in the keeper OR adjust the keeper placement on the saddle (depending on the saddle this may not be a reasonable option).

Hmmm, do you have a pic of this tab solution? Sounds like it might be perfect for me (standard leathers are a bit too short, extra long and I'd have to have the ends trimmed. Seeing as I already have a new pair of standard Antares leathers, I'm going for the tab option.)

alto
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:40 AM
Sorry no picture - there is a local saddle maker that does assorted repairs/alterations & I happened to see one that had been done for another customer (shop does very nice work for surprisingly reasonable prices).