PDA

View Full Version : Moving to San Francisco Area - Need to Find a Hunter/Jumper Trainer

DeeMarie
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:15 AM
Not sure if there is a better forum to post this in, let me know!!

So, I will be living in Vallejo when I first move to California. Id like to be able to drive to a farm that is relatively close to the zip code 94590. I'm hoping for no more than a 20 minute drive.

I found a facility called WINDFALL FARM INC with trainer GRY MCFARLANE formally GRY GUNDERSON. Opinions please if you know of this farm or trainer!! Thanks!! :)

BLBGP
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:39 AM
Do you have a horse or are you looking for lesson horses?

Perfect Pony
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:51 AM
Your choices from Vallejo are either Windfall or Riverside. Windfall only has Gry and whatever assistant she happens to have at the moment. I personally would not ride at Windfall for a multitude of reasons.

Riverside has several trainers there that are all nice, competent, and all offer something a little different. It really would depend on whether you own a horse, what your level is, and what your goals are which trainer I would recommend. Also, what kind of person are you, how you learn, what kind of environment you want to be in.

http://www.riversideequestriancenter.com/

Riverside also had several A and B shows throughout the year.

I am at Riverside right now (with a baby with a dressage trainer), and live only a few miles from Vallejo. It's a much easier drive to and from Riverside via 37 from Vallejo than it is to try to go up and down I-80 to Fairfield.

DeeMarie
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:42 AM
Do you have a horse or are you looking for lesson horses?

Just looking for lessons at this point.

DeeMarie
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:57 AM
Your choices from Vallejo are either Windfall or Riverside. Windfall only has Gry and whatever assistant she happens to have at the moment. I personally would not ride at Windfall for a multitude of reasons.

Riverside has several trainers there that are all nice, competent, and all offer something a little different. It really would depend on whether you own a horse, what your level is, and what your goals are which trainer I would recommend. Also, what kind of person are you, how you learn, what kind of environment you want to be in.

http://www.riversideequestriancenter.com/

Riverside also had several A and B shows throughout the year.

I am at Riverside right now (with a baby with a dressage trainer), and live only a few miles from Vallejo. It's a much easier drive to and from Riverside via 37 from Vallejo than it is to try to go up and down I-80 to Fairfield.

Thanks for the information, it seems like I will have a lot of options at Riverside.

I do not own a horse but want to get back into riding again more seriously. I'm an intermediate rider but haven't done anything competitive in the past few years. I leased horses throughout high school but moved to Hawaii after I graduated. Hawaii does not compare to the mainland as far as the equine world. :no:

You seem like you know the area well, do you know of any job opportunities at Riverside that are offered? I'd even clean stalls to start!! I need a job when I get there in the beginning of July. My husband is getting relocated there for a new duty station.