PDA

View Full Version : A swan crash landeed in my lawn this am... any swan keepers out there?

mrsbradbury
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:30 AM
A lovely swan crashed through my wires and tumbled into the lawn. It appears rather comfortable with people, I ushered to the small pond by my stable. It cruised for a minute and is now wandering around the front pasture.

Anyone keep swans? I have started the process to locate a potential owner, but am trying to be a private about it.

It does not seen hurt, It did allow me to palpate his/ her wings. I have two small ponds, and the neighbor has a huge lake. We live on a fairly quiet road.

Equibrit
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:32 PM
Maybe it is sick.
http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/

jacksmom
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:23 PM
my grandfather (that i grew up next door to) keeps swans.

the fact that it let you handle it's wings is a good indicator that it's very likely someones lost pet. when his are not nesting, they are generally not difficult to handle. but when nesting - look out for the males. beyond nasty, personally speaking, i will never own any.

if they are not pinioned or clipped they will sometimes wander. they do not usually go far. i have retrieved them from the neighboring golf course on more than one occasion (i think they have my grandfather's number on speed-dial). they are more likely to cruise off if they are looking for a mate.

i'd check with the local shelter and see if anyone's reported a missing swan, maybe even put a call out to your area vets. someone is probably looking for that bird ;)

JSwan
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:22 PM
No Swans missing here. :winkgrin:

mrsbradbury
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks, I have been observing throughout the day, It did allow me to carry it back to the water where it has been preening, stretching and foraging for food.

Now, it wasn't super easy to pick it up, but was not malicious. My gut says it was hand raised, it attempted to take flight and only got three feet off the ground and flew into the fence. My guess is it wings have been "clipped", I'm thinking it caught a draft and soared here.

Equibrit, thanks for the link. While I am not a bird expert, I am comfortable with animals and do not necessarily think this animal is ill, I think it is lost. Unfortunately it is not banded or marked where I can easily spot.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=223154581046419&set=a.223154254379785.70628.100000556370865&type=1&theater
Here is a photo:

LulaBell
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:05 PM
Link didn't work for me. Hope you find its home, if it has one.

mrsbradbury
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:02 AM
Update:

About 9 pm, after a day of enjoying my little water feature, swan strolled back into the front pasture, spread it's wings and took flight.

I think after some research, this may actually have been a young bird, late or off migration that got tired and crashed. (How embarassing!).

After rest and a safe place it was rejunevated enough to carry on.

It was a neat day having it visit.

LexInVA
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:30 AM
Good good good. I hope you got plenty of pics.