PDA

View Full Version : Basic tractor question

katyb
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:02 AM
I need it to bush hog, mow our "yard" around the house (so finish mower), have a bucket, and be able to lift a roundbale (800 lbs or so). What would you buy? Used or new? Brands?

ReSomething
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:06 AM
I like orange myself, so Kubota. We have a'97 L29 or something like that, no longer made. L stands for the FEL I think. We bought ours pretty hard used but DH can fix anything so not an issue. If it were just myself I would buy a new package from the dealer if you can find one of those zero interest promotions. For a bale spear you need a little larger, L34 and up probably.

We also have a collection of implements including a little Kelley backhoe, and I don't know how we managed without one of those - it gets used at least once a month digging up some darn thing. Bush hog, finish mower, box grader, landscape rake, rototiller, all three point, and then with the FEL you'll be wanting hydraulic connections and that will let you use all kinds of fun hydraulic accessories like the backhoe and log splitters. Try to make sure your hydraulic lines were factory installed and in good condition without pinched or worn spots, aftermarket/homemade stuff can be quirky and hydraulic plumbing is very dangerous if not done absolutely correctly. Hydraulic oil spraying under pressure can kill.

Anyway. Have fun shopping!

Bluey
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:48 AM
If you want to move big bales around without lifting them but a couple of feet off the ground, then you can do with a 35+ hp tractor.
If you need to lift big bales up on or over something taller, then you should go to a 55+ hp tractor.
Tractor hp is measured at the drawbar and generally you get 1/3 less hp on the end of arms on the front attachment, be it a bucket, pallet forks or big bale spears.

A finishing mower you can get in tight spaces is antagonistic with a brush hog you can knock down big weeds, etc. and needs a bigger tractor that may not fit in every spot.

Most serious farmers prefer JD equipment, but will use any other as needed.
I would go for dealers with good service near you, rather than a specific brand.

Equibrit
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:58 AM
Kubota L3240 - the hitch is divine and the hydraulics for the bucket are included with the tractor. 5 years no interest.
http://www.kubota.com/product/L3200/L3200.aspx

Guilherme
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:54 PM
It's tough to beat Green Paint.

The Deeres have the best hydraulics out there, period. Their ergonimics are also light years past the Kubota/Kioti/Agco/Other brands. New Holland comes the closest as a competitor.

I gave my wife a new, 2004 Deere 4310 for Mother's Day that year. :lol:

The Yanmar engine in the Deere 4310 is "cast iron." I've had a couple "ham fists" work for me and try to destroy it; they failed.

Right now the average retail for a 4310 eHydro is slightly higher than what I paid for it seven years ago.

The 4300 series is a good choice. The lift capacity of a 430 loader is about 1200 lbs. It's quite manueverable and the 4WD is nice (but be aware that it can both get you into and out of trouble ;) ).

Resale will be favorable if you keep it up.

G.

katyb
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:04 PM
I like orange myself, so Kubota. We have a'97 L29 or something like that, no longer made. L stands for the FEL I think. We bought ours pretty hard used but DH can fix anything so not an issue. If it were just myself I would buy a new package from the dealer if you can find one of those zero interest promotions. For a bale spear you need a little larger, L34 and up probably.

We also have a collection of implements including a little Kelley backhoe, and I don't know how we managed without one of those - it gets used at least once a month digging up some darn thing. Bush hog, finish mower, box grader, landscape rake, rototiller, all three point, and then with the FEL you'll be wanting hydraulic connections and that will let you use all kinds of fun hydraulic accessories like the backhoe and log splitters. Try to make sure your hydraulic lines were factory installed and in good condition without pinched or worn spots, aftermarket/homemade stuff can be quirky and hydraulic plumbing is very dangerous if not done absolutely correctly. Hydraulic oil spraying under pressure can kill.

Anyway. Have fun shopping!

Our neighbors at our old house had a Kubota that my husband loved. Unfortunately, they aren't willing to tsell it to us. Thanks for the suggestions on the hydraulics.

katyb
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:06 PM
It's tough to beat Green Paint.

The Deeres have the best hydraulics out there, period. Their ergonimics are also light years past the Kubota/Kioti/Agco/Other brands. New Holland comes the closest as a competitor.

I gave my wife a new, 2004 Deere 4310 for Mother's Day that year. :lol:

The Yanmar engine in the Deere 4310 is "cast iron." I've had a couple "ham fists" work for me and try to destroy it; they failed.

Right now the average retail for a 4310 eHydro is slightly higher than what I paid for it seven years ago.

The 4300 series is a good choice. The lift capacity of a 430 loader is about 1200 lbs. It's quite manueverable and the 4WD is nice (but be aware that it can both get you into and out of trouble ;) ).

Resale will be favorable if you keep it up.

G.

Gaining value is impressive. I guess the problem is that nobody wants to part with the good ones.

We have easy terrain here, for the most part, but my husband wants 4wd, in case we need to use it elsewhere at some point. I am a huge chicken - I won't even mow the ditch by our driveway. I've heard too many tipover stories at work (disability hearings) to be brave.

katyb
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:06 PM
If you want to move big bales around without lifting them but a couple of feet off the ground, then you can do with a 35+ hp tractor.
If you need to lift big bales up on or over something taller, then you should go to a 55+ hp tractor.
Tractor hp is measured at the drawbar and generally you get 1/3 less hp on the end of arms on the front attachment, be it a bucket, pallet forks or big bale spears.

A finishing mower you can get in tight spaces is antagonistic with a brush hog you can knock down big weeds, etc. and needs a bigger tractor that may not fit in every spot.

Most serious farmers prefer JD equipment, but will use any other as needed.
I would go for dealers with good service near you, rather than a specific brand.

I guess the only lifting would be out of the truck.

ReSomething
Jun. 5, 2011, 03:41 PM
Well, seeing the responses, yes, it is very important to choose based on the dealer and service available near to you, even if you just need to get parts and do all the work yourself. Tractors inevitably break down in the middle of some project or at some time when they are most needed and service time can be critical.

riff
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:03 PM
We have a Kioti and it has been trouble free for years now. Just put roundbales in the barn for next winter with it yesterday, Dealer is nearby and can service it. That really is an important point. We looked at Kubotas which are popular here on smaller farms. For lots more money for the same size as our Kioti I just didn't like them. But all the real farmers (cattle and row crops) around here have John Deere equipment. Lasts forever and very rarely breaks down.

cssutton
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:39 PM
OP mentioned "finish mower".

I have a JD 2440 60 HP and a 10'6" bush hog for the old abandoned pastures and hayfields. It mows waist deep fesque like nothing

But for finish mowing and mowing in the horse pasture with horses present, I have and I recommend a flail mower.

I mow road sides and similar areas right up to the area my wife mows with her JD lawn tractor and you can not tell the difference.

And the flail mower will not throw things that put out horses eyes, breaks windows, etc.

Bush hogs can and do.

However the flail mower is noisier and hear protection is a serious requirement.

There are several on the market but mine is a 96" Befco.

There are many brands available.

CSSJR