PDA

View Full Version : Finally Took the Plunge - Pet Goat

FatCatFarm
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:48 AM
Got a little African Pygmy goat, buckskin and white. She's adorable and SO sweet. Can't wait for her to have her baby or babies. Follows me around like a dog. Thinking of getting a second one but wonder if that will stop her from wanting to hang out with me as I go about my barn chores. Anyone know?

Epona142
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:51 AM
It might. Or you might have two goats following you around gleefully.

You really should get her a friend though :) Goats belong in pairs at the very least.

LulaBell
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:57 AM
I opened this thread expecting pictures! I don't know if a friend is totally necessary, my barn has a goat, but she shares a stall with one of the horses. That's the extent of my goat knowledge, sorry!

Sabovee
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:56 AM
Are you sure she's pregnant? Pygmy's have a pot bellied appearance naturally ;)

If you buy a second one the first goat will most likely bond with it, might still follow you around some but will most likely be found in the company of the other goat for the most part.

deckchick
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:22 AM
If she is pregnant, she will have friends soon enough! I have a Mom and Daughter combo, they are great fun, Congrats!

tallyho392
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:33 AM
oooooh, goats are so much fun!!........as smart as dogs, will come when called, NEVER EVER wander away from you on a walk, and you don't have to feel bad about leaving them outside, as you would a dog.......
they really DO need a goat friend, but if you give them both lovies, they will stilll stick with you like glue.........i had a herd of about 50 at one point..moms, babes, and a billy.....the ones i socialized more always prefered my company to the herd.........which CAN be annoying, because if you shut them away from you, oft times they will call for you....and when left loose to BE with you, very often they want to be lap dogs (OUCH!! those feet hurt), or are in your face.........but overall , are wonderful ,wonderful pets.......be careful though, they will eat poison ivy, and transfer it to you via their lips and hair (yeah ask me how i know THAT)...get a book on goat caare...they are prone to pnuemonia in humid conditions, have to have a well ventilated shelter,,,HATE rain..there are a number of plants toxic to them, but all i can recall now is acorns.....hoof trimming takes a bit of practice, but isn't too tough.....nothing bounces quite like a goat babe...lol....but, they can alos bounce inot your water tank and other hazards...they are fun fun fun!!!!!!!!
congrats, and enjpy!

mrsbradbury
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:29 PM
I have a pet goat, when I was younger we had three.

Mine lives with the dogs and horses, as in permitted to have "run" of the facility in the am before we get busy.

He knows his name, he comes when called, walks on leash, and knows the commands out and off.

I have considered a friend, but nigel is two now, and is content. Our farm is pretty active and he seems good with the social time he recieves. Since it is working so well for us, I plan to stick with one.

His breeder says he is healthy and happy, and she is not concerned that he does not have a goat friend. She has a herd of dairy goats, and has been caring for and breeding goats for over 30 years.

cowboymom
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:50 PM
my goatie friend, Pigweed, is just as bonded to me as he was before I got his latest buddy. I initially got him with his brother, the brother died and it was just Pigweed. Then I was given another goat and Pigweed is still sweet to me as ever but he has a buddy to run and play with and someone to keep him company when I'm not out there. he's happier-and doesn't bellow like a freak when I go for a walk without him!

FatCatFarm
Jun. 5, 2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I think we're going to have to break down and get her a friend. She's content when outside with me, but when she goes back into her pen, just calls and calls and calls.