PDA

View Full Version : I LOVE this horse!

KitKat987
Jun. 4, 2011, 11:37 PM
I just needed to get that off my chest :D

My Buddy. He's my little rock star. After being out of the riding game for about 7 years, I bought him as a long yearling and eventually started him myself. Once I felt we were ready to start jumping I started trailering him to lessons. He's six now.

Last year we were demolishing cross rail courses together. We worked oh so hard all winter to get our act together and it has paid off. Went to our first schooling show of the year today. There was no head tossing, running away or getting peaved off at each other and having a pulling match. We've been through many a bit and noseband to find one that would slow him down, stop the resistance etc, but are content now in a happy mouth mullen and plain old cavesson :cool:

I just wanted to tell the world how very very much I love this boy. Even had someone today mention what a sweetheart he was and how he obviously took such good care of me out there. Six months ago I'd never have imagined someone would say such a thing about my guy :sadsmile:

The jumps aren't big, he's got plenty of power and I can't wait to move up a couple divisions on him.

Video isn't great quality so i'd suggest watching it on the higher resolution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3C7WXceDE

KateKat
Jun. 4, 2011, 11:40 PM
Awww congrats! He's a little cutie patootie!

Whistler
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:38 AM
Yeah! Good for you! Your horse looks like he's enjoying himself too. Isn't it great when everything comes together? I'm starting to feel like this with my new horse after having him for four months..we are 'getting' each other. That's why we do this every day! The payoff is huge.

sonomacounty
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:56 AM
16.2 and a qh ! Yeah !

You are both great !

Love your rust & navy on him. What state are you in - it looks nice w. the tall pines.

incentive
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:20 AM
Love it!!!!! You both look relaxed and happy. I have always thought that there is no better cross than TB/QH. The rust breeches look great, too. I hope you 2 have many happy years together.

Surly Sue
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:22 AM
Great job! Your guy looks so interested and relaxed - you're a great team! And...he is very handsome. Keep at it!

bizbachfan
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:46 AM
nice job, lovely horse, great ride!

goosejumps
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:28 AM
What a wonderful team you two make! Congrats, and keep up the good work!:)

GrayCatFarm
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:44 AM
He's gorgeous! And, I bet he does well in the hack as well. You definitely look like a team.

kelsey97
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:59 AM
What a good boy :) You make a great team, congrats!

MyssMyst
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:50 AM
Very pretty! I love how well you work together.

wildhorse188
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:51 AM
Can you find me one just like him :D

You guys look great together, and you both look like you're having fun!

EqTrainer
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:06 AM
What a * nice* job you have done with this horse... You deserve to be proud, of both of you!

Summit Springs Farm
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:32 AM
Overall great job, my thoughts are, if you care, if not don't read;).
Loved the approach to the first jump, what was up with pulling right rein over it?, just wait till you land.
The second jump, someone said leg, when you need just to sit up and wait, that's what I'd say about most of the course, you have too much weight in your hands and not enough in your seat, I really liked the 3rd jump, oxer going home I think, and the 2 jumps going away right after that, let him jump up to you.
Relax and try not to lean around the corner, think about adding extra strides in the corners to achieve that.
You and he did great!!! congrats! Love how relaxed he is and willing!

kateh
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:38 AM
He's SIX??? I didn't read the post before watching the video (bad me) and I thought he looked awesome, like he knew exactly what he was doing! I'm not even exaggerating, I actually thought to myself "THAT is what I want my first horse to be like." So I guess that tells you my opinion. :winkgrin:

cuatx55
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:17 PM
very nice horse! I can see why you like him so much.

One small comment----

Watch the tendency to throw haunches to the right on the long stretches between jumps.

doublesstable
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:24 PM
I have a Buddy too that I raised from a baby... YAY. Your Buddy is SOOOO cute! I am soo happy to have made it to this point. I know how it feels and it's a long journey. I see you are doing jumpers; but you know he would make a "lovely" Hunter! Just sayin - ;)

shawneeAcres
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:29 PM
Very nice job and lots of potential here! Love me some racing bred QH's, I have an awesome one!

KitKat987
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone! I just took my other 6 y.o. to a hunter show this morning and did the 2'9s with him and he was equally wonderful. I wish I had a video of his rounds today. He's a grey appendix and absolutely has an amazing jump on him.

It's our first weekend out this year and I'm truly flabbergasted at how far they've come over the winter. I'm in shock. The weather has been so miserable that we haven't had much time in the outdoor rings. But now that we actually have room to 'move' I'm really seeing the difference in them :)

mojo7777
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:03 PM
Terrific video, my favorite kind where everybody is having a ball. Your adorable horse looks just like my Mojo only with a blaze. Hope you keep posting pics as he progresses.

MyssMyst
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:07 PM
Congratulations!

sonomacounty
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:55 PM
What state are you in - it looks nice w. the tall pines.

KitKat987
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:49 PM
What state are you in - it looks nice w. the tall pines.

I'm in Alberta, just south of Calgary and very close to Spruce Meadows.

Mimi La Rue
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:01 PM
You guys look awesome! :)

Wholehearted
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:12 PM
What an adorable horse. I love his big blaze and your breeches and shirt!

mortebella
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:56 AM
Is there any horse you're ever prouder of than one you've made every step of the way? Major congrats on your baby - dream big :)

KitKat987
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:04 AM
Is there any horse you're ever prouder of than one you've made every step of the way? Major congrats on your baby - dream big :)

I think that's exactly why I'm so proud of him. My trainer has sat on him maybe 3 times in two years just to see what I was 'talking' about. No one else has ever jumped him. My non-riding husband rides him out in the mountains when we go riding with friends. He's just such an all around good horse and the sweetest, loviest, non-spookiest boy ever :cool: