PDA

View Full Version : reins on a budget?

Hampton Bay
Jun. 4, 2011, 11:11 PM
I need a set of reins for my 3-yo. She has a bridle coming, but it doesn't include reins.

I don't want to spend a ton as she's 3, and thus she will have to earn the really nice stuff. Basically I don't want to be sad if she breaks them. I prefer plain leather with stops, though web will work OK as long as it's relatively soft and not too horribly stiff. Regular horse size is fine. She's only 15.2h right now.

Suggestions?

Fire_fly
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:06 AM
My vote would be for the Tekna reins. They are nice and grippy, and soft in your hands. They have buckle ends and the best part is they were $ 25.00:D

CatPS
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:55 AM
SmartPak's Plymouth web reins... about $25, I think. Really nice for the price, but cheap enough that if they get broken, it's no great tragedy.

KrazyTBMare
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:19 AM
I have reins but they are havana and laced... sorry! :(

Jeito
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:38 AM
I don't know what you mean by "on a budget" but one of the other boarders at my barn has the Collegiate concealed grip leather reins, and I think they're really nice (and less than 1/2 the price of my reins). The black 54-inch ones are on sale here for $47 -

http://www.theoriginalhorsetackcompany.com/Collegiate-Concealed-Grip-Leather-Reins-p/wb172981.htm

(You have to add them to the cart so see the sale price.)

howardh
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:41 AM
Why would she break them?

But do craigslist you can get stuff like pieces of bridles for a couple bucks......

Melissa.Van Doren
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:01 AM
Collegiate makes a plain leather rein with stops and buckle ends. Retails for around $55.

cuatx55
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:58 AM
I got some cob sized reins from Green River Tack for something like 10 dollars. Cotton with handstops and buckles. Very good value for what you pay, I ended up getting another pair. Not the same as "nice" reins but definitely a good buy if you ask me.

Hampton Bay
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:18 AM
I was actually looking at the Plymouth ones. I've heard good things about the SP bridles, and they seemed nice for the price at WEG, but $25 almost seems too goo to be true.

I've had Collegiate reins before and they sucked. Overpriced IMO, plus the company is horrendous to deal with. Won't buy anything from them ever again.

I don't think she will break reins, but if she ditches me and takes off, it's always a possibility. She's only had about 10 rides on her, most of them just piddling around learning to steer. She's a difficult, opinionated little thing, so she will end up dumping me at some point.

GreyStreet
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:45 AM
I also have the Plymouth bridle, and I've been really pleased with the quality for the price. I thought I would hate the reins because I typically prefer rubber over web, but they broke in very quickly, are soft and easy to handle. I've been riding without gloves at times to avoid the dreaded summer "white hands" syndrome, and I have plenty of grip. Yesterday I just dunked them in a bucket of water since they've been getting covered in sweat and grime - conditioned the leather parts and let them dry. Turned out just fine.

You can see it here, not too shabby: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/JenNor18/mandyshow3.jpg
(Obviously my horse is in love with my husband, known to her only as "treat man.")