PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of funky breeches...let's make pewter the next rust

fordtraktor
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:50 PM
I got my Dover catalog and noticed that TS come in a lovely "pewter" grey. They look like they would be so pretty on my black horses! The next fashion definitely needs to be grey....

Not such a good color for chestnut, or a red bay, but a grey or black or dark bay would be gorgeous. Particularly with a dark grey pinstripe hunt coat....

Does anyone wear these?

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:58 AM
I LOVE a nice dark charcoal color!

kelsey97
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:01 AM
I second! Charcoal is really pretty on a horse!

RolyPolyPony
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:33 AM
Not such a good color for chestnut, or a red bay, but a grey or black or dark bay would be gorgeous. Particularly with a dark grey pinstripe hunt coat....

I beg to differ - they look great on chestnuts ;) My summer breeches are charcoal and I think they look quite dashing on the bright chestnut I ride!

Hear us, manufacturers? More of you make breeches in this colour!

laughATTACK
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:03 AM
I have a pair of them for everyday riding, and they are very pretty breeches.

*Liz*
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:07 AM
I really like the grey breeches, and agree that they look particularly snazzy on a dark colored horse :) Then again, I'm a fan of black breeches and would love for those to become show ring acceptable too ;)

KitKat987
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:10 AM
I can totally see myself wearing pewter on my dark dark brown and my grey as well. Yup... count me in.

MyssMyst
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:46 AM
I want!

Plumcreek
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:58 AM
I got my Dover catalog and noticed that TS come in a lovely "pewter" grey. They look like they would be so pretty on my black horses! The next fashion definitely needs to be grey....

Does anyone wear these?

Yes. Showed in that combination in the late 80s - Light gray breeches with that first dark gray wool menswear plaid Grand Prix coat (the one with a photo of GM in the ad, IIRC?). Both gray and rust breeches looked great with that dark gray coat on my liver chestnut.

PNWjumper
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:06 PM
I love my [dark] greys! I think they look great on my non-black horses:
Chestnut:http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2918090960094686761YEoAux
Bay: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2604717540094686761NVkbtV

I picked a pair up after noticing that dark grey seemed to be the new "it" color at a show earlier this year. The color I got isn't quite was I was shooting for....I like the dark grey that has just a touch more brown in it (rather than the more blue-grey color), but I do think that any of the dark greys are flattering on just about everyone :)

ETA: When I was a kid you had your showing "combos"....I always wore my navy coat with my grey breeches (back then the common choices were grey or beige or rust), but wanted a dark grey coat (though I seem to recall also wanting a dark horse so that it would look prettier than it would have on my copper penny chestnut). I've been waiting for the light grey to make it back into fashion ever since. It's certainly appropriate enough for the hunter ring, just went out of fashion a couple of decades ago, and with the recent resurgence of rust and other colors, must be on it's way back again some time soon!

Summit Springs Farm
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:14 PM
I saw them a couple of summers ago on a girl and really liked them! I'm definately getting some this year!

sschuessler
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:19 PM
I actually just bought a light grey hunt coat... and, it has pink piping on it. Probably got it because it was a closeout, brand new for $40. But, I am a huge fan of grey coats no matter what the shade it is. And, the judge even complemented it after a round in a local show :)

cuatx55
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:20 PM
I've been using dark grey for years, I even have silver piping on my bridle.....course I ride dressage so we have different colors in some things then the H/J world.
I love this color, doesn't show the dirt, looks great on many horses and is just enough contrast to not blend in too much. I hate wearing tan.

fordtraktor
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
I like the dark grey ones too but for showing I think lighter often looks better with a dark hunt coat -- the pewter is more of a light-mid grey and would have the classic dark coat, light breeches look. Would be nice with the right color navy too...or black...oh the possibilities!

Also stunning would be the charcoal with a light grey coat, sort of a reverse thing like rust with a light grey coat, a classic combination.

You all are right, the chestnuts look fine in grey -- but I think they often best in rust! :P A liver chestnut would be gorgeous in grey.

doublesstable
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
I have the pewter and the charcoal and I love them. I think they trim down my "he-hem" legs and such.

I haven't shown in them but ride in them on my brown and bay horse - think they look nice.

fordtraktor
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Oh -- and remember grey Breeks?!?! OMG, those things were slick as snot. But I had them in grey and tan back in the day, often used them on my dark bay pony and they were lovely. As lovely as Breeks get anyway.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have the pewter TS. I adore them, but the really don't go well with my brown boots. So I wear them at home only until my black boots come back from repair.

But they look fab on my faded black pony.

Don't mind my tallness and pony's shortness. (http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab109/SmileItLooksGoodOnYou_2010/Reese/Reese-10.jpg)

My favorite pic of the day for sure. (http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab109/SmileItLooksGoodOnYou_2010/Reese/Reese-14.jpg)

fordtraktor
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have the pewter TS. I adore them, but the really don't go well with my brown boots. So I wear them at home only until my black boots come back from repair.

But they look fab on my faded black pony.

Don't mind my tallness and pony's shortness. (http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab109/SmileItLooksGoodOnYou_2010/Reese/Reese-10.jpg)

My favorite pic of the day for sure. (http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab109/SmileItLooksGoodOnYou_2010/Reese/Reese-14.jpg)

I love! They are beautiful in action, such a nice medium grey!

goosejumps
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:35 PM
Ooh, I too love pewter!! My BO wears them on her gorgeous dark bay and they look fantastic. Of course it doesn't hurt that she's Swedish and about 800 feet tall! :yes:

I wish the Ariat Olympias came in pewter. They seem to fit me better than the TS.